It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 10:02

Well I've finally succumed...

• Author

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Well I've finally succumed...

Post28 Mar 2007, 16:00

My first ever Pulsar - a GF P2 with matching bracelet arrived today and I finally understand what you Pulsar lovers are on about :D Opened the box from Ed (who'd kindly received it and serviced it for me - thanks) and for the first time I see a Pulsar in real life and the design simplicity just leaped out at me. It's a beautifully simple design and easily stands the test of time - it looks more modern than most modern watches and that's a testament to the strength of it's design. It's not as large as I thought but then again my regular watch these days is a Majestyk 1 so that is no surprise :D . All in all a very very nice way to start the day - especially as I've been up with 2 ill children and am feeling rubbish myself. What next?

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

re: Well I've finally succumed...

Post28 Mar 2007, 21:24

I used to think the vintage LED's were huge until the last few years when a lot of analog (yes analog!) and some modern LED (like the Solsuno, which I can't wear) and LCD's came on the scene. Now after seeing some of the watches my friends wear, including my own, many of the vintage LED's seem small to me...And I have a smaller wrist.

I think the Pulsar P3 is a good size. It has the same vertical height as my watch (actually most LED's do) but of course it's not as wide. I like the thickness of it. One thing I don't like about the P3, however, is the band. It's always had a "lady look" to it, IMO. It's just too narrow, especially near the bottom.

Of course, many people today are taller and this is part of the reason why some watches have gotten larger as well. I was reading an article where the average man in the Netherlands is over 6 feet tall, today. Many of them have to get the seats in their cars custom made to accomodate their large size. Just 30 years ago that was not the case.

Anyway, congrats on your purchase!

M

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post01 Apr 2007, 15:28

you got that right, Jeff.
I had the Solsuno on me only once and never again.
I guess everything in life is getting bigger (not exactly better).
but custom made seats is a piece of cake. just imagine refitting all doors in all houses so people won't need to kneel to enter their houses :lol:

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post01 Apr 2007, 20:52

Well I showed the watch to my wife after I picked it up from the jeweller's shop for resizing - "hmm I quite like that one" - high praise indeed from my wife when it comes to leds :D Wonder what she'd say about a P3 or a classic :P

As for the dutch - highest people in the world, US'ians are 2nd. Holland raised the height of doorways in new build housing to 2.3m in height - that's 90 inches or 7'6" about 2 years ago.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post01 Apr 2007, 22:52

congrats!!!
when a woman praises your treasures then you are all downhill with new purchases :D

CompuChron

Techie

Techie

: Well I've finally succumed...

Post02 Apr 2007, 01:02

Hi, the Croatian are the tallest european.
25% of the men in Dubrovnik are 2M00 high and over!

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post02 Apr 2007, 09:58

and what about that tribe in south Africa? :wink:

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post02 Apr 2007, 14:23

Dutch have the tallest citizens on average. I liked seeing that world's tallest guy in CHina saving the dolphin at the zoo by reaching into it's stomach to get something out. Oh, and he is marrying a woman that is almost 3 feet shorter than him. :lol:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

CompuChron

Techie

Techie

: Well I've finally succumed...

Post02 Apr 2007, 14:55

Let's split hair!
"The Netherlands was in the late nineteenth century a land renowned for its short population, but today it has the 2nd tallest average in the world,http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/the-dutch-are-the-worlds-tallest-people/20060915162909990006 with young men averaging 6 ft (1.83 m) tall and only shorter than the peoples of the Dinaric Alps (Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia), where males average 6 ft 1.1 in (1.86 m) tall. The Dinarians and Dutch are now well known in Europe for extreme tallness. The increase has been so dramatic that various things have been redesigned to fit the much taller frames.

"
source:
http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:brSijkNEPT4J:www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section%3Fcategory%3DNEWS%26template%3Dwiki%26text%3DHuman_height+croatia+tallest+average+men&hl=fr&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=fr

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post02 Apr 2007, 15:15

Compu Chron: Ok, ok, you don't have to beat us up!! Now we have the definative answer. :D Back on the thread, I was looking in Watch Time magazine a few days ago(looking, I wouldn't bother buying it) - they had an article on how big faced analoges are the next "thing". 45,55, even 60+mm in diameter.

Interesting: Switzerland had a record watch production monetarily in 2005, despite it being a record low year for pieces produced. Average Swiss piece is valued at $400+, average Chinese made piece is below $1(all the toy LCDs given away at fast food resturants, no doubt!) I am blown away that there are so many watches that sell for in excess of $100,000 brand new. :o
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post02 Apr 2007, 16:55

In 1909 the Scots were the tallest race in Europe according to census reports - The First World War changed that and we'd shrunk 9" by the 30's. I guess there were a lot of headshots from German snipers :P They must have hated taking over positions from the Bantams (british army soldiers under the regulation 5'3" - named after fighting cocks and hard little buggers from mining towns)

Good news about the watches though - if you like analogues :| The size is huge, 60mm is ridiculous.
6' and married to a 5'9"

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton