It is currently 13 May 2024, 21:21

My Loaded Magazine LED watch article. ( Disaster ).

• Author

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

My Loaded Magazine LED watch article. ( Disaster ).

Post06 Apr 2007, 11:45

A couple of months ago my good friend Richard "Smart watches", put me in contact with Loaded magazine as they wanted to do a article on LED watches. He kindly passed the opportunity over to me to do the article. So to set the scene, my brief is to take some of my watches down to London to do a 3D shoot, ( Wow what a great opportunity to have the P-1 on my wrist in 3D and to have my web site in a magazine that goes out to many thousands of people ). So I get to the set, well to the pub where they are shooting my watches, and im the last shoot of the day, they are also running behind after shooting topless girls in 3D all day, " Now i will know you will all be running to buy this months Loaded edition".. ha-ha. So now the photographer is having trouble taking the 3D pics of my watches with the LED display on. I caught a glimpse of the shots on the camera its not looking to good. Anyway all seemed to go O.K, and i drove the two hours back home. Then i get a email from the guy I'm dealing with at loaded saying the pictures have not come out too well, and can i email my own pictures over. Hmmmm..... im not impressed. Then they ask for a brief LED History, and information on each watch picture i forward. So i carefully give accurate info on each watch, and a brief history........ I'm told the article comes out the beginning of April, and i will be sent the rough proof for me to approve. You guess it, i didn't receive it. And as im sitting here with my head im my hands looking at what they did, as i picked a copy up a couple of days ago.

Click on the links to see the two page article.

http://www.lloyd.theledwatch.com/loaded-1.jpg

http://www.lloyd.theledwatch.com/loaded-2.jpg

This is what i wrote to the Magazine........

Dear sir,

I picked up a copy of Loaded last night with my LED watch article in it.
My pictures look great in the two page spread. The Uranus / HP-01 pictures the photographer took in the pub is not so good.
I love me as the LED Expert....... But i think my LED street cred
will not be so kool after people real the article. The 18k Pulsar calculator
is listed as a Omega 18k Time computer, ( There is no picture of an Omega in
the article ) ? The Pulsar P-1 is listed as a 901 Pulsar calculator, and has
the " So rare even the president cant buy this" label above it, when that
should be on the 18 k calculator on the opposite page. And the Pulsar
Executive is listed as a special order for £18k ....... It should of said
18k as in gold value. I think someone has just put any text to any picture. And the LED history is not printed either ?
Well i guess most people wont be looking at that. But im absolutely gutted
that my web site is not included in the article. My four hour round trip
from Norfolk, and to the Bank to get the watches out is all in vein. No one
will contact me about anything.
Is there anyway my web site http://www.theledwatch.com could be mention in the next
issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had to post this, as i don't want my LED name to be tarnished. What a total Cock up as we say here in the U.K. Oh, and guess what, no reply from my email from Loaded Magazine.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

re: My Loaded Magazine LED watch article. ( Disaster ).

Post06 Apr 2007, 12:43

Egaads! That WAS a mess. This is ironic, a writer from Antique Week magazine contacted me for input on an article on LEDs. I obliged with 14 high-res. pictures for their print edition and a lot of text - they misspelled a number of things and the writer took a bit of license with things(I have no idea where she got her history/timeline)...but all in all not too bad. Only one tiny thumbnail of a Breitling Navitimer on their website, but lots of color pictures in their print edition.
http://www.antiqueweek.com/Article.asp?newsid=441
Nice to see LEDs getting some attention in the press.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Apr 2007, 17:17

Lloyd, my cheque for £ 1200 for the 18k omega (as per mag) is winging its way to you as we speak :D I didnt realise that when i was told Loaded was famous for its Tits, that included the people running it :!: :!:

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: re: My Loaded Magazine LED watch article. ( Disaster ).

Post06 Apr 2007, 17:31

gjlelec wrote:Lloyd, my cheque for £ 1200 for the 18k omega (as per mag) is winging its way to you as we speak :D I didnt realise that when i was told Loaded was famous for its Tits, that included the people running it :!: :!:

Haha, It dont take a genuis to work out the watch above has Pulsar wrote on the button, to then put Omega watch text below ? I think they made the prices up too....... can you belive they wont even respond to me now. If they said sorry, and invited me down to be in a boobie shoot i would totally decline..... O.K i lied... :lol:

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post06 Apr 2007, 18:47

When you say booby shoot do you mean the ones that wrote the article or the other type?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark A.

Post06 Apr 2007, 19:00

This was a missed opportunity for the magazine to provide a valuable service for their readers. If their article had sparked an interest in a reader to learn more about the featured subject, where would they turn?

A simple mention of Lloyd's most excellent and informative site would have shown consideration for their readers, and supplied them with a starting point, one which by any account was earned by both Lloyd's time and the subscribers / readers.

The article appears thoughtless and inconsiderate to all involved.

Mark A.

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post06 Apr 2007, 20:22

767Geoff wrote:When you say booby shoot do you mean the ones that wrote the article or the other type?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha..... both.

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post06 Apr 2007, 20:26

Mark A. wrote:This was a missed opportunity for the magazine to provide a valuable service for their readers. If their article had sparked an interest in a reader to learn more about the featured subject, where would they turn?

A simple mention of Lloyd's most excellent and informative site would have shown consideration for their readers, and supplied them with a starting point, one which by any account was earned by both Lloyd's time and the subscribers / readers.

The article appears thoughtless and inconsiderate to all involved.

Mark A.

Thanks Mark. Exactly right. This could of sparked at least a few people to start collecting LED's if it was done as i was told it would be. I'm sure Loaded Magazine sells many thousands. That's how i started collecting after reading a LED article in Arena magazine in 1997. Mind you that 1997 article cost me allot of money in collecting :-)

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Apr 2007, 23:29

Lloyd, i'm surprised to learn you have only been collecting for 10 years - (and i hope you won't mind me saying this on this forum) it appears you have collected in that time what i refer to as a museum grade collection, that is a collection of one off or very very rare led pieces ( i have been fortunate enough to have seen Lloyds complete collection) I suspect there are a number of other forum members with similarly impressive collections which often brings me to question my own style of collecting. My own preferences are very narrow in the LED field, ie primarily Omega, with the grand prize being the 18 k TC1. But as much as i would love to own one, if one appeared for sale tomorrow, i know i would have much soul searching as to whether i could spend the thousands required to obtain one.At the end of the day i justify my purchases to myself by reasoning i haven't really spent the money- only stored it somewhere else, ie in the watch- i could always resell !! I suppose this nagging doubt is why i'll never have a collection like Lloyds :cry:

leddwatch

Banned

Post06 Apr 2007, 23:45

Hey watch collecting dudes, its a little far out here and there, but its not going to stop anyone who's interested from finding out.

In this day and age if something grabs your attention what do you do? You google it and also go to ebay, just because you and I know that the article was screwed up somewhat wont stop anyone from getting into 70's leds.

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 Apr 2007, 10:06

leddwatch wrote:Hey watch collecting dudes, its a little far out here and there, but its not going to stop anyone who's interested from finding out.

In this day and age if something grabs your attention what do you do? You google it and also go to ebay, just because you and I know that the article was screwed up somewhat wont stop anyone from getting into 70's leds.

Yes i thought that..... If somone really wants to find me, they just type "Lloyd Harvey LED watch" into Google. Haha, BUT it dont take you to my site, it takes you to another LED web site. I guess we all know why i was so P@#'ssed that they never put my web site address in the article....... I wanted people to read the article, find their old 18k Pulsar at the bottom of thier drawers, and sell them to me !!!!!!!! :lol:

leddwatch

Banned

Post07 Apr 2007, 14:34

mmmmm, loaded readers owning 18k led watches....mmmm... :roll: you might get an old collection of ''readers wives'' with some adverts for led watches in..... :!:

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post07 Apr 2007, 16:19

leddwatch wrote:mmmmm, loaded readers owning 18k led watches....mmmm... :roll: you might get an old collection of ''readers wives'' with some adverts for led watches in..... :!:

Hahaha.......... True. Well maybe not a Pulsar 18k. Mind you, a 1978 readers wifes might be intresting, for LED ad's of course :wink:

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post10 Apr 2007, 22:10

Hairy :lol:

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post16 Apr 2007, 10:51

Lloyd, it's not a surprise that you won't get directed to your website by the keywords you mentioned.
Your website does not contain a thorough META description, not mentioning the author/owner of the site.
Change your HTML details on top of the page and after a month you should be visible in Google.

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post16 Apr 2007, 10:58

azimuth_pl wrote:Lloyd, it's not a surprise that you won't get directed to your website by the keywords you mentioned.
Your website does not contain a thorough META description, not mentioning the author/owner of the site.
Change your HTML details on top of the page and after a month you should be visible in Google.

Many thanks for the info. I will pass it over to the guy that made my site.

Cheers, Lloyd.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post16 Apr 2007, 11:23

your welcome :)

if you're curious just press Ctrl+U
or choose Source in the View menu.

btw, will you post technical details of your watches one day on your website?
I mean the guts and case constructions (Grima, etc.)
Perhaps when you will be changing batteries again you could shoot a few pics?

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post16 Apr 2007, 12:47

azimuth_pl wrote:your welcome :)

if you're curious just press Ctrl+U
or choose Source in the View menu.

btw, will you post technical details of your watches one day on your website?
I mean the guts and case constructions (Grima, etc.)
Perhaps when you will be changing batteries again you could shoot a few pics?

One day i hope to put some technical info on my site. Even though im not really a technical guy :D As you can see im a picture person. But i need to add some more info i know. I have stopped the forum as it was like tumble weed. :lol:

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post16 Apr 2007, 14:12

get the point 8)

as for your HTML tell your computer geek to create proper positioning.
it's a matter of 100pounds to add the website to certain browsers and define exactly matching description tags that are tracked by search engines.
there's even some sort of software (online somewhere) which can check your website source/content and grade it accordingly as crap or excellent ;)

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post16 Apr 2007, 14:21

Lloyd, Azimuth got me curious....I took a look at your source code too. Yeah, you only have four keywords.

I'll use the one's from my site as an example(understand I have been doing web work for a while..)
<meta name="keywords" content="authentic,'70s,70's,70s,Baylor,Benrus,Bulova,buy,calculator,Citizen,classic,clock,collectables, collectibles,cool,Compu Chron,Compuchron,Commodore,dealer,digital,doensen,Elektronika,Epsa,Fairchild,funky,gadget,Gruen,Hamilton,Helbros,Hewlett Packard,HP-01,Hughes Aircraft,Hughes,Imado,James Bond,L.E.D.,ladies,LCD,LED,Lip,liguid crystal display,light emitting diode,Litronix,man’s,mans,mens,men's,Mercury Time,Mido,National Semiconductor,Nesstime,Novus,Omega,Optel,original,order,parts,Pulsar,purchase,Ragen,rare,repair,retro,Roger Tallon,seller,seventies,Sharp,Sinclair,Swisssonic,Synchronar,techno,Texas Instruments,timepiece,Uranus,vintage,watch,watches,watchtronic,wire bond,Wittnauer"> [End of keywords]

<meta name="description" content="Vintage digital products of the 60s-80s.LED and LCD watches,games,etc.RetroLeds.com">
[this is what shows up in a browser below the title, like in Google search results]

<meta name="Author" content="Ed Cantarella, retroleds@aol.com">
<meta name="robots" content="index,follow">[tells 'bots to check out the index/home page, and then follow all links therein for possible indexing]

<meta name="revisit-after" content="15 days">[come back/re-index after "X" number of days, content may have changed]
<meta name="document-type" content="Public">
<meta name="document-rating" content="General">
<meta name="document-distribution" content="Global">
[Some say these three are unnecessary today; however, they hurt nothing being there..]

<title>Vintage LED and LCD watches,calculators and gadgets</title>[shows up on status bar of browsers, some search services will show THIS instead of the "Description" in the search results]
</head>

Bigger problem for me was I could only see 4 of your links at the top, things got cut off so only a corner of "Links" was showing, nothing beyond that to the right. And apparently your frames were locking against scrolling sideways for those on a lower resolution monitor.

None of this is a critique/critisizm Lloyd... I want your website and any others dedicated to digital watches to work(and I liked the transactions I've had with you :) ). I link to your site, I'd like it to be a good link. 8) Sorry this is so long....
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post17 Apr 2007, 00:49

Wow, what can i say. Many thanks for helping me. I'm going to pass all that info over to the guy that does my web site.

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton