Fake Pulsar?

• Author

LiquidLed

Techie

Techie

Fake Pulsar?

Post08 Jun 2007, 22:36

Hi,

Bought a couple of Pulsars of fleabay, included with the P3 was this, which i just thought was a another pic of the P3 when actually it was another Pulsar!!!
(teach me to read the text properly :oops: )

I need some help on identifying this strange addition, just does not seem right to me, what do you think? is it fake?

Logo on the glass rather than the case, not a Date II then?

Pusher, both look the same

Module front and back, not to good on identifying these, but the crystal seems to have been replaced at some point.

Case back

Case back is indicated Pulsar with SN 306943

The closest I can get to identifying this myself is a Date II but Logo is on the case!

Great to here your views, thanks

Geoff :D
It is here! It is now!

redled

Techie

Techie

re: Fake Pulsar?

Post08 Jun 2007, 23:35

If I understand you correctly you're suspicious because of the logo on the glass? I'm no Pulsar expert, but I believe Pulsar made both versions, on the glass and on the case.

LiquidLed

Techie

Techie

Post09 Jun 2007, 00:53

Yes redled, that was the reason

But now to feel foolish :oops:, found a pic on here - dunno how i missed it

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/pulsar9.htm
It is here! It is now!

redled

Techie

Techie

Post09 Jun 2007, 03:43

Nah, the only reason you should feel foolish is for feeling foolish..

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post09 Jun 2007, 21:59

Both versions are original and legitimate. I would guess cases with the logo outnumber ones without it about 6 or 8 to 1. This is not a unique variation; the Sport watch also comes with and without the logo on the case. Here the split is closer to 3 [with] to 2 [without]. Why this was done is still anybody's guess.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post21 Jun 2007, 01:16

Perhaps production mistakes? Or change of ideas in the design department? ;)
However it would make sense to produce cases without the Pulsar logo for jewelery shops such as Tiffany or Neiman Marcus.

Why would anybody buy a Tiffany that also had a Pulsar logo an inch away? Moreover the Pulsar logo would last forever.
For a lower price you could buy the same product without the Tiff logo.
Strange.
It's like buying an iPod today in a Tiffany shop for double the price just because it would have a Tiff logo.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post21 Jun 2007, 01:56

Piotr, have you never heard of Faberge, Gucci, Harley-Davidson, Armani? There are lots of things out there that people pay stupid money for, just because of the name on it. Tiffany was just one of many... As for production mistakes; there are no known P2s without the logo on the case, but lots of P2 Tiffanys [and there are going to be more, what with all the new Tiffany crystals out there]. And the Date IIs without the logo; it is a fact that is the same case used on the PRM [the logo was left off because the pulse sensor would obliterate the "P" in Pulsar]. It is diffficult not to draw a connection there. The Sport is still a unique case, and the position of the logo [whether on the case or crystal], may have been purely an esthetic choice. Clearly, the logo was more popular on the case, as it more closely resembled the P1 [the model it is derived from].

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post21 Jun 2007, 03:36

Re: the Tiffany Pulsars. I have came across a few P2s I thought were legitimate due to box and papers being together....I notice that most have a back that DOES NOT say "Pulsar" anywhere on them. Anyone have some thoughts on these unmarked backs that otherwise look completely "Pulsar".
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post21 Jun 2007, 10:14

I've seen a few casebacks with only the year and Time Computer Inc.
Perhaps the Pulsar name was removed.

as for Gucci, Faberge... I get the point but these are 100% their own makes.
it's like selling a Japanese superbike branded with the Harley logo and the Japanese logo still visible next to it :lol:

private labels make sense when they are truly private and it's hard to figure out the real producer. for instance most batteries and razors in the world are made in this way but the big guys don't like to admit this to the public because most private labels are identical to the original brand but sold for half the price.
Last edited by azimuth_pl on 21 Jun 2007, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

LiquidLed

Techie

Techie

Post21 Jun 2007, 12:54

I have a Pulsar P3 case back with the words Pulsar and sn number missing?...

... I checked again this morning and found if you angle the case in the right light, you can just make out a very faint Pulsar and sn! also the Hr. and Min. are missing.

I'm now thinking I have a re-finished case back, must have taken a great effort to remove, but why!

could they have been re-finished at the factory for rebranding to Tiffany etc. as it lookes machined, just a thought

G
It is here! It is now!

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post21 Jun 2007, 13:58

The one's I have have the HR and MN quite visible, and where it should say "The Time Computer" it says "Stainless Steel"....where PUlsar should be, it has the serial number.... in the case of the one I'm looking at, 16325(P2). I have a few of these...they are also about 1.5 grams lighter than a simular Pulsar marked back.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post22 Jun 2007, 06:57

If the serial number is faintly visible, take a good look, and I will bet the number starts with "5". That's a swiss-made case [in fact, down near the setting recesses, you might be able to make out "swiss case" in small letters]. You're missing the HR and MIN markings because they were never stamped in, they were printed on, the caseback, and wear off easily during setting [why the unknown Swiss manufacturer did that, I have no idea, beyond it possibly being cheaper, but that's how they did it]. This was probably 1976, near the peak of Time Computer's sales, and Star couldn't keep up with the number of cases they needed, so TC found a Swiss case maker to take up the slack. All such cases bear a six-digit serial number starting with 5xxxxx [another clear instance of assigned serial-number blocks]. I have seen numbers as high as the 550s, so my guess is, they made a lot of these. The same source also did cases for the Big Time, Classic, and Ladies' Pulsar models [it may also be the source of the rare, round-face Executive cases]. For some reason, the lettering and numbers are typically very lightly stamped [or possibly photo-etched], and are so sometimes difficult to read [even light, normal wear can render them almost illegible]. Occasionally, the serial numbers are deeply-stamped, in traditional Time Computer style. So, the bottom line is, you have a legitimate, original watch.

LiquidLed

Techie

Techie

Post23 Jun 2007, 00:06

Wow.. thanks Bruce :D it's a 5.
Another one of my long time mysteries solved with a positive result, I really didn't think this one was going to turn out ok.

here is the enhanced photo I took, with the sn starting with 5

sn 514176 :D

G
It is here! It is now!

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton