It is currently 14 May 2024, 12:51

Got bit by the Pulsar bug!

• Author

TheFordGuy

Geek

Geek

Got bit by the Pulsar bug!

Post20 Sep 2007, 01:19

Wow! I can't believe I'm taking the plunge. I found this website when I purchased my Casio AL180 "solar" (yeah, right) watch, and I always had a fascination with the first LED watches from the '70s. Eventually when I'm a millionaire, I'll have a Synchronar, but till then I had to get something.

Found a nice Pulsar P4 Classic on eBay that seems to be in great condition. After practically memorizing the pages at www.oldpulsars.com I discovered that the one I like best was the 3502-2 Sport, but I'm impatient and only found one on ledwatchstop.com, but it was a bit more than I wanted to spend on one. My second choice was the Classic, which I was able to find on eBay.

I haven't read thru all the posts here yet, so I'm asking the Pulsar gurus here if there's anything I should know about this one. Any quirks, things to look for, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a link to the auction for the one I'm bidding on:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0154180614

Tell me what you think...I'll gladly repay any Pulsar advice I get here with advice on Dodge, Jeep or Ford trucks and SUVs if any member here owns one and needs some help.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: Got bit by the Pulsar bug!

Post20 Sep 2007, 03:09

The "Classic" is a risky foray into Pulsar ownership. :-? A P2 or Date Command is a much better bet, as there is a much larger pool of modules out there, since there were products by Hamilton and Omega that used the same module. The Classic(and Executive) are "orphan" products, holding a module that was only put into Pulsar watches. It is also not the most robust module(strictly my opinion, don't beat me up on this). And some day in the future, when people are a little more open to the idea of "Frankenstiening" a newer module into an old case, the Executive,Classic and Dress models will not be eligible for the transplants generally, since there isn't much room inside the cases, unlike the P2 and P3.

But hey, a Classic is a very nice watch, just as the Executive and Dress are. :-)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

TheFordGuy

Geek

Geek

Post20 Sep 2007, 06:07

There is a chance, however, if this watch does eventually crap out, that I could send it to be repaired, right?

Worst case scenario is if it's deemed unrepairable, I could always try and sell it as a non-working unit and recoup some of my investment, and then get something else.

I don't even know if I'll win this auction or not yet...If not, I'll take your advice to heart and look for one of those like you suggested. Or, I'll just pony up a few more bucks and get that 3502-2.

Geez...I've bought cars that cost less than what I've invested into a digital watch! I wouldn't want to bore you with the story of my $75 Dodge Omni. Beat the tar out of it and sold it a month later for $500.

Edit: I've been outbid. I got in at $80, bidding to $225. It's at $305 right now with a couple days left. If I'm going to spend over $300 on a Pulsar, I'll get that 3502 from LEDwatchstop. I bet my dad could kick himself now for tossing his Pulsar in the dresser drawer and letting the batteries leak, eventually making him toss it. It was a gold one, and one of the first models, though that's all I remember about it.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post20 Sep 2007, 13:46

If it's any consolation, I have given up on that one myself.....my gig is buying working "beaters" and putting them in a nicer case with good-better glass. That one has too nice a case and glass to be used for parts by any stretch, so it should rightfully(IMO) go for more of a "ready to wear" price($350-450). Most Pulsars that go for less than $300 on ebbay are destined to have the "engine" yanked and the body parted out. It's the grim reality of it.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Sep 2007, 13:46

Ah the Pulsar bug! It's an itch that needs to be scratched :-) I took a long time before getting a P2 and haven't regreted it. Ended up with an Omega TC1 as well....The classic is rareish compared to the P2/3's and does go for more $$ on average.

Do take the time to read all the Pulsar posts, there's some good info on certain sellers that could save you wasting your money. As for repairs...Ed and others have a lot of experience of fixing them so you'll get plenty of advice here should you be unlucky enough to need it.

Cheapest Car - POS Talbot Horizon for £25 and I sold it back to the same guy for £50 :-D Oh and the exhaust fell off when he was driving it home :lol:
My brother gave my wife a Nissan Cherry he'd been given and it worked like a charm until we sold it 2 years later - even after I'd high speed reversed into a metal pole....

Let us know how it goes.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Re: : Got bit by the Pulsar bug!

Post20 Sep 2007, 13:55

Fitron wrote:My brother gave my wife a Nissan Cherry he'd been given and it worked like a charm until we sold it 2 years later - even after I'd high speed reversed into a metal pole....
This explains why you bike to work! :lol: :lol:

Fitron

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Sep 2007, 14:05

I don't even have the excuse of stupid youth - I was 27 at the time. :oops: Just really bad driving.

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton