It is currently 12 May 2024, 22:31

Which modules with which watches?

• Author

DaleS

Which modules with which watches?

Post07 Oct 2007, 06:28

I have become confused about the modules used in various Pulsar watches. Is there a link somewhere that describes the modules and the differences between them. I know that the 406 was the 24 hr module and that it also had the autocommand feature. I checked oldpulsars, but the module numbers are omitted from many of the descriptions. Thanks in advance for your help.
Dale

charger105

Guru

Guru

: Which modules with which watches?

Post09 Oct 2007, 14:43

I'll state what is written on the labels of my watch modules (the ones that aren't running with batteries in):

3013 in a P3 Date/Command
401 in an auto-command P4 Executive
4300 on a ladies watch ("Pulsar for Ladies" I think)

I'm pretty sure that some of the models could contain various modules. The P4 Executive, for instance, was available as a magnet set, or "Auto-Set" (so would obviously contain a different module). Oldpulsars also states that the 24hr module for this model was a 406.

I'm sure there are plenty of experts out there who could add significantly to this list.

Rgds,
Andrew.

DaleS

: Which modules with which watches?

Post10 Oct 2007, 05:58

Hello everyone,
Here is what I have gleaned from 'oldpulsars' and my own watches.
503 module: large display, Men's TC and Sport.
504: same as 503 except autocommand. same watches, (but not all?)
401: magnet set, autocommand, P4 Classic, Big time, Executive.
402: autoset with/without(?) magnet indents on back, autocommand,same watches
403: DOW, autoset no magnet indents, autocommand, same watches.
406: 24 hour module, autoset autocommand Executive for Europe.
???: Which module is in the men's dress watch. Apparently the same as the ladies, but with a larger display. Is this the 104 module?
???: Men's dress with the green display.
101: magnet set Pulsar for Ladies.
???: Ladies TC, all three designs.
???: Ladies Sport
104: P3L Ladies size, men's bracelet, Large display.
As for the earlier watches, I am not sure.
PI:
PII:
DateII:
Date Command:

I also understand that there was some mixing of modules. For example, does anyone know if there were any 24 hr Classics?
I do not know what module the men's dress watch came with. Was there an autocommand option for any of the men's dress watches?

Thank you for your help getting things organized in my brain. I am a new collector of Pulsar watches and I have seen watches advertised that seem to have different modules than the above. I suspect that they have been switched or something.

Dale

helmarw

Re: Which modules with which watches?

Post02 May 2014, 16:24

i got a Pulsar Mens Dress with a 4300 module inside.
according to the seller it was always there, but im kinda wondering...
Its a magnet set version and when i compare it to the pictures on crazywatches
it seems to me that the digits are smaller and closer together.
So my guess is that th 4300 module in fact is a ladies Dress or P4 module which was used
to "repair" the Mens Dress watch, probabaly some time ago (i dont think the seller would lie about it, i think)
On the other hand the pictures on crazywatches shows the Autoset module, which presumably is a later model
of the Mens Dress watch. Maybe the earlier models with magent set really had smaller digits ?! i dont know ...

anyhow does anyone have information about this 4300 module, seems not much information out in the net about it

thnx
Helmar

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post02 May 2014, 22:48

According to the best information I have, the Pulsar modules go like this:

P1
201-1 (single trimmer, horizontal light sensor)
201-2 (dual trimmer, vertical light sensor)

P2 Same as P1

P2/Date 301-3 (very rare 305 exists; displays Date same as Time, for 1.25 seconds)

P3 301-3

P4
401 magnet set, all models
402 Auto-Set, all models
403 DOW display, Big Time and Classic only
406 24-HR display, Executive only

Dress
102 Magnet set, all models (large LED digits)
104 Auto-Set, all models (large LED digits)
110 Emerald Green display, 3416 only
501 Touch-Command, Auto-Set (magnified LED digits) 5503 only
502 Touch-Command Auto-Set, Auto-Command (rare) 5503 only

Men's Sport 501 Auto-Set (502 will work in 3502 case)

Ladies Pulsar
101 Magnet-set, all models (small LED digits)
103 Auto-Set, all models (small LED digits)

Calculator
901 No DOW or Auto-Command
902 DOW display, Auto-Command
903 DOW display, Auto-Command (second flick gives Date; rare)

Pulse-Time 910

Ladies' Touch-Command 801 All models

The original E/D P1 module may have been designated the 200; I'm subject to correction on that. The only physical difference among the Dress and Ladies' Pulsar modules (101-104) is the size of the digits; there is a very rare bar-segment display variation, but the module functions the same, and is not a separate model). There are digit-height variations among the P4 and Dress modules, but the smallest of them is still larger than the Ladies models; presumably, the displays were coming from different manufacturers (for example, the P3 modules come with two distinctly different LED displays, one by Litronix, the other from Monsanto). Finally, there is a very rare dot-segment display that is found on a few of the early Limited Edition (first 100) 18K Calculators. On the 4300, I have both Ladies' and Dress modules with the 4300 plaque on them, and without it. On those with it, there is a raised line that defines a "pocket" to allow the plaque to be mounted in a specific position; this feature is missing on the modules without the plaque, so, clearly, two different injection molds were used (green carriers seem to have been made only in the no-plaque version).
This doesn't seem to indicate any special effort by Time Computer to create some sort of color-coded identification system for the modules; rather, it looks just like random assembly of parts. The specific significance of the 4300 designation is open to speculation; all P4 modules seem to carry a similar plaque with the number "4000"...probably a reference to the 400-series of modules.
No doubt this post will be edited several times as new or updated information becomes available.
Last edited by bruce wegmann on 03 May 2014, 21:22, edited 3 times in total.

helmarw

Post02 May 2014, 22:57

Hi Bruce,
thnx for the comprehensive list and information !!! :)
Best
Helmar
Last edited by helmarw on 02 May 2014, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post02 May 2014, 23:48

In terms of identifying whether your module is a Ladies' or Dress one, the 4300 is of no help whatsoever.
The only certain difference is in the size of the LED digits. You'll need a known-type module to compare it with. Or, if you can post a good, clear, closeup of the display (doesn't need to be lit), I can probably tell you which one you have.

helmarw

Post03 May 2014, 00:03

Hi Bruce, thnx a lot.
once i got the case opener ill take some pictures myself...
here are some images (taken by the seller, not by me)

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post03 May 2014, 00:10

Sorry, I should have specified...a shot of the module outside the case...actually makes the LED chips easier to see. The chips are actually different for the two sizes.

helmarw

Post03 May 2014, 00:13

ok, will do when i can open it ;)
thnx
Helmar

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post03 May 2014, 16:47

Question? Generally are the module types in the watch suppose to match what is called out on the case back stamping (if its still there? ) Or did Time Computer sometimes mix and match due to supply issues? Thanks

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post03 May 2014, 21:11

No Pulsar has any marking stamped into the case back to indicate which module it uses. Generally, there were little aluminized stickers that would say "Module 301" or "Module 403", usually glued to the quartz crystal, but over the years, the adhesive has dried out and they fall away and are gone. The plastic carriers were also never molded with module numbers.

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post03 May 2014, 21:51

Thanks Bruce for the info. I guess my question was not if the case back was stamped or stickerd but for ex: if you had a 402 Executive and the case back said 406, wouldn't that indicate that at some point the module or case back were swapped out and they didn't not come from the factory that way? I had just the opposite. I had a 406 Executive and the case back said 402. I am guessing that case back or module was a replacement somewhere down the ownership line at some point? Or did Time Computer do that depending on what parts were available during assy?
Last edited by Timecollector on 08 May 2014, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post03 May 2014, 21:58

Helmar,

I swapped a module from a Ladies P4 to take a side by side comparison for you (see below - men's P4 dress module on the left, ladies P4 module on the right). Looks like your module is from a Ladies P4 rather than a men's P4 Dress. This is pretty common on the 'Bay. If you're not happy with the smaller digits, Hanno builds a SASM40 replacement module with the correct digit size for P4 Dress watches:
http://www.strikesandspares.de/com/modpulsar.htm

-abe.

DSC_9035 (900x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

helmarw

Post03 May 2014, 22:40

Hi Abe,

thnx a lot for you effort. Thats what i was expecting, wasnt sure so far but what i found on pictures for comparison was hinting in that direction.
with the replacement im not sure, rather would like an original module, but i think about it, at least its an option
If anyone has a Dress Mens module for sale or want to swap it for a Ladies module + compensation im open for suggestions.
in the meantime i sure will take a picture soon of my module and post it here.

thnx
Helmar

helmarw

Post04 May 2014, 21:36

ok, here it comes :)

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post04 May 2014, 22:08

Ladies' 101 module, definitely. Aside from the pattern of electrode connections (two on the right of the large digits, three on the smaller ones), note that this is a full, four-digit display, unlike the Dress LEDs, which are always 3 1/2 digits (since there was never a need for the first digit to show a "2"). About a third of the Ladies' modules I have looked at have this configuration; the rest have a more standard 3 1/2 digit display. Theoretically, Ladies' modules like this one could have displayed time in 24-HR format, but, given the marketing failure of the 3211, it was never done. Also note the later, smaller light sensor above the display; earlier modules used the same sensor seen on the P2 and P3 modules.

helmarw

Post04 May 2014, 22:43

Hi Bruce, thnx a lot, that confirms my suspicions. Not much in can do about it thought :/
at least its working fine and the watch is in a very nice condition.
Best
Helmar

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton