It is currently 04 May 2024, 09:29

TEN P1s

• Author

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

TEN P1s

Post14 May 2014, 09:49

As promised in the previous thread, here are ten P1s, all under one roof (and with one owner). This pic was taken on November 13, 2013, at the NAWCC Chapter 59 Del Mar Regional show. One has since found a new home, and I will likely be parting with another, in the near future :cry: . In case doubt is crossing anyone's mind, I assure you that, like the other group pics, not one pixel of this image has been altered or manipulated in any way...what you see is what was there.

Note that five are in their original boxes; the unique 14K one is at bottom center.

PG101

Techie

Techie

Re: TEN P1s

Post14 May 2014, 13:20

Nice!
Does the 14k watch not have a sapphire crystal?

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post14 May 2014, 18:22

Do you have a particular favourite? If so what makes it stand out above the others?

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post14 May 2014, 18:26

No...it's the same kind of mineralite glass used on the P2s and P3s. It's also significantly thicker (about 1.25mm or .050 inch, actually). Presumably, it was felt this was necessary to give the same degree of light filtering as the ruby (with filter coating) used on the 18K watches. As much fun as it's been, owning a unique watch for the last two years, I keep hoping another one will eventually surface; Time Computer records indicate that 65 of these were made, but, so far, this remains the only known 14K survivor of the 1980 mass-melting. A second watch should have a serial number that will fall within that range. In that period, only one "new" 18K P1 (that is, one not previously known to collectors) has come to light; the rate of discovery has slowed nearly to a stop. That is why I keep cheerleading for a public list of known serial numbers, so we'll know if a P1 is a new find, or out of an existing collection, and thus keep the count accurate; the coin collectors have been doing the same thing (with a system called the "Condition Census") for decades.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post14 May 2014, 18:53

I wouldn't say that I have a favorite (that's a bit like asking a parent with several children to pick a favorite), but I do, of course, have a certain fondness for the first one. At the time, only about a dozen were known, and I had no reasonable expectation of ever having another chance to buy one (and it remains the one I paid the most for...lol). Now, that number is up to 45-50 (an uncertainty created by collectors themselves, who should know better), but I personally doubt there will ever be more than about 70 found of the original 400, given the diminishing rate of recovery, and the sheer passage of time.

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post18 May 2014, 20:48

We will never see that many in once place again!!!

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post18 May 2014, 22:12

I appreciate the thought, but, records are meant to be broken (remember when the pic of five was called "TheTwilight Zone", and those weren't even all owned by the same collector). As much as I'd like to think this pic represents "The Outer Limits", one really wealthy and dedicated collector could surpass this, and in a much shorter span of time than my limited resources allowed me to put these together (at least three P1s got away from me, because the timing just wasn't right, and the money wasn't available). Had it not been for the unexpected intervention of a very generous friend, my acquisition of the New York material would have been impossible. There is a rumor that another collector currently owns seven, so this landmark may be surmounted sooner rather than later.

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post19 May 2014, 15:34

bruce wegmann wrote:As promised in the previous thread, here are ten P1s ..

Twilight Zone? .. Outer limits? .. your photo is One Step Beyond !!

And the P1 will always be ... As Timeless As Infinity .. ;-)

Congratulations Bruce, a most excellent achievement.

marionicoli11

Post28 May 2014, 13:44

Hello!

I'm a Brazilian collector of DSM, LCD and specially LED watches. I'm looking for a P1 link. Does anyone have any for sale?
All the best,

Mario Nicoli Filho

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post28 May 2014, 15:48

I had a few, a couple years ago; they sold almost immediately (actually, I wish I had them back!). If you have an 18K Classic Calculator, you could transplant a link from that; the bracelets (except for the clasp, which has no provision for a magnet holder) are identical. Less preferable (but functional) alternatives are...a 14K link from a 2980, or a goldfilled link from a 2970; the color match is not bad. Unless you are considering actually wearing the watch (something I don't generally recommend, for a number of reasons), the bracelet length is not terribly critical; having the setting magnet is far more important.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post28 May 2014, 20:25

Lets have a P1 pic then Mario :mega: :pics:

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post21 Jun 2014, 15:27

gjlelec wrote:Lets have a P1 pic then Mario :mega: :pics:

And a serial No. ??
As Bruce so rightly says to many guesstimates for any collectors liking.
Is there any good reason for us not to get it sorted.
Also shouldn't we all be adding ALL of ours to the pulsar data base? P2's 3's 4's the lot
Which incidentally I have tried to do by clicking the link here: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=6071
The page is there. But it's as if it's not responding?
Is it me?? Doh. :roll:
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

joeywaycool

Techie

Techie

Post01 Jul 2014, 20:14

With the P1 being made for such a brief period in low quantities, I am surprised to see so many varieties of box styles. Are the boxes shown original to the watches?

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post01 Jul 2014, 21:13

No, not all of them. The five rectangular boxes with the blue inserts are original. L to R top row, 1 to 5, bottom row, 6 to 10. Original boxes are 4, 5, 6, 8, and 9. The others are "acceptable substitutes". I do like the "chocolate box", with the wide gold Pulsar insert (2, 3, and 10; this box was evidently more commonly seen in Europe, for P3s and a lesser number of P4s). Only three of the five original boxes have the matching outer box; making a complete "kit". There is no good count of existing P1 boxes, or watches, for that matter. Here I am doing my level best to dispel the paranoia surrounding owning a P1. The nonsense suggesting that revealing you own a P1 is somehow putting the watch, or yourself, in danger, needs to be laid to rest once and for all.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 Jul 2014, 00:30

The paranoia about exposing your identity as a P1 owner online seems sort of laughable given that the complete population of people in the world who care about such things can probably be herded into a moderately sized room and/or are on this forum. Most of you seem pretty trustworthy. :-)

I tend to think that if the average thief broke in and saw a Pulsar P1 and an iPad/iPhone/iThingy or some other easily liquidateable expendable consumer gadget sitting on the desk, they might just skip the P1. Hopefully you don't ever need to test this.

-abe.

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton