It is currently 04 May 2024, 12:11

Hamilton caseback question

• Author

Brightlightredlight

Geek

Geek

Hamilton caseback question

Post15 Sep 2014, 23:18

One of my Pulsars has the Hamilton stamped case back on it. 10k rolled gold case stainless steel back inscribed on it. Up until what year were they putting case backs with the Hamilton stampings on them ? What models were they likely to have been on ? P2 or P3's. Thanks.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Hamilton caseback question

Post16 Sep 2014, 00:19

Hi.

Pulsar did put out a few case backs with "Hamilton Watch Co" stamped on them (as shown below), but I believe that all gold-filled P2 cases had gold filled case backs rather than stainless ones. These had relatively low serial numbers in the 12000 range. This was covered in two previous threads in some detail:
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1600#p9796
viewtopic.php?uid=2004&f=79&t=6008&start=0

If you have a gold filled case with a stainless back, it probably means that your case back is from a Hamilton QED. One other thing to check, Hamilton QED case backs had two serial numbers stamped on them rather than one. If yours has one serial number, than I have no idea what it is from - in that case, it could be something unusual!

Cheers,

-abe.

Pulsar P2 Hamilton Marked Case Back:
Hamilton QED Case Back (10K Rolled Gold):

Brightlightredlight

Geek

Geek

Post16 Sep 2014, 01:53

Ok, thanks, it does have two serial numbers. I bought a clunker for the case back for a replacement on my gf P3. I like the look of the all stainless back to go with the stainless back on the links. Just did not know what the back came off of originally. Figured someone on here would know. :scratch:

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post16 Sep 2014, 09:25

Just to fill in a few missing details... Hamilton-marked P2 casebacks exist in both stainless steel and 14K goldfill, and is a very uncommon variation of the P2 (perhaps less than thousand made, in total). All Hamilton models containing Time Computer modules had stainless backs (Hamilton never made a solid-gold model). The second set of digits is a combination model number (here, 999), and manufacturing date code (here, 574, or May of 1974); Time Computer backs have only a serial number, so they are easy to distinguish from the Hamilton ones.
Physically, they are all dimensionally identical and interchangeable (including the Omega TC models), having most likely come off the same stamping machines, so are often found on non-matching bezels.

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton