It is currently 11 May 2024, 08:47

P2 model differences.

• Author

cte

Techie

Techie

P2 model differences.

Post10 Apr 2015, 22:16

I've had one P2 for a little while now. Recently I've had my hands on a couple of others and noticed they were different. The word "pulsar" is spaced differently (roughly 1/3 longer than the short one) and on the back of the case it has different text. The wider spaced one says 1972 and the other says 1973. I prefer the tighter spaced letters on the newer one, but the older one has more (and better imo) printing on the back. How many variants are there? Just two? Also, the older one has a much squarer edged cyrystal than the newer one. Could it be a different style replacement glass (I presume the glass was replaced before I bought it), or is it an older glass version? Thanks. :-D

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: P2 model differences.

Post11 Apr 2015, 04:21

There are really no significant differences among the P2s. The bracelets are uniformly identical, as are the cases. There are minor variation in the glass thickness, color, and degree of edge bevel. Also, there are minor variations in the size and exact location of the "PULSAR" lettering (which we see here; in particular, compare the "P" on these two cases). What you have here is a P2 case with a P3 case back (the one on the right). The highest P2 serial number I have seen is in the 148xxx range (and all numbers above 60000 have the "A" below the number). Case backs on all P2s and P3s are dimensionally identical, and therefore interchangeable. All stainless P2 backs are marked only with the serial number, and the designation "STAINLESS STEEL" above (the five-pointed star mark is the logo of the Star Watch Case Co., located in Luddington, Michigan). Goldfilled P2s came in both 14K and rare 10K cases.
Finally, P2s occur with both the 201-1 (single-trimmer) and 201-2 (dual-trimmer) modules. 201-1 circuit boards were used in the great majority of P1 re-builds during the Great Recall of 1972.

cte

Techie

Techie

Re: P2 model differences.

Post11 Apr 2015, 14:32

Ah, thanks. That is very interesting regarding all the differences. The glass on both of these SS versions are certainly different in colour and bevel. I was examining both of these again and also noticed that on the rear sides of the watch face the edges are very defined, almost sharp, on the newer one. The older one has much softer rounder edges which are visibly machined in parts (not sure if the following pics show it). Is that from a restoration I wonder?

Newer face:

Older face:

I had questioned whether one of the back cases might not have been an original p2. Mystery solved. Cheers Bruce!

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton