It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 12:14

New Member with a PII Question

• Author

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

New Member with a PII Question

Post11 May 2015, 17:30

Hello everyone :Hi: First off I want to say a thank you to Hanno for registering me and a hello to all the members here.

I fix and sell fountain pens as a hobby and was contacted by a fellow pen collector about a pen he wanted. He suggested a trade for his Steel Pulsar II. I told him it wasn't a fair trade as my pen was only $110 and his watch was worth $400 to $500. He said he didn't care about watches anymore and really wanted my pen.

After looking at his pictures and seeing the watch worked I foolishly sent my pen and he mailed the watch. I've always wanted one of these Pulsar LED watches but price has always stopped me.

The watch I received was not the watch he sent me pictures of, especially as it does not work correctly.

Reversing the deal was futile as he cut off communication. I later saw he sent me ebay pictures of another watch.

So that's the story. As for this watch, it works intermittently. When it does work, all the digits work and it keeps time for 8 to 10 hours. Then it will stop working. If I attempt to move the batteries around several times it will fire up again, work for several hours and stop. Sometimes it will start up on it's own, other times nothing.

I have been conversing with Piotr from Crazy Watches and we've talked about the module. He noticed that the original quartz crystal has been replaced by a Seiko type QC. When this was done I don't know.

I'm feeling that my only option now is to have to serviced. With one of Hanno's service centers being in Ottawa that makes things much easier for this Canadian.

I've posted pics of the module and I'm hoping to get some advice from experienced collectors here, especially about the Canadian service point. Since this module has already been altered, should I just have it serviced, or just buy a new module and drop it in the case?

Brightlightredlight

Geek

Geek

Re: New Member with a PII Question

Post11 May 2015, 17:57

Hello, sorry to hear about your mishap. You can always purchase a new replacement module from Bruce. He has another batch on E-bay for sale. Just send your watch to him along with old module for credit. He will install new module in there and make sure reed switch matches button. This should be an easy fix and quick turnaround for you.

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 May 2015, 17:58

The module itself looks very good and believe me, you still made a very good deal. Get you a new crystal for USD 30-60 and brush your watch a bit so that you have an excellent daily wearer.

Regarding the module I am quite sure that you can get it working with a new quartz. The one that is attached seems to be original, although the pads have been resoldered for a reason I don´t know.

Hanno.

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post11 May 2015, 18:16

Brightlightredlight wrote:Hello, sorry to hear about your mishap. You can always purchase a new replacement module from Bruce. He has another batch on E-bay for sale.

Hi Brightlightredlight. I have seen those on ebay. Are these modules:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-replacement-module-for-Pulsar-Hamilton-Omega-LED-watch-/271838907592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4adc8cc8

SASM wrote:The module itself looks very good and believe me, you still made a very good deal. Get you a new crystal for USD 30-60 and brush your watch a bit so that you have an excellent daily wearer.
Regarding the module I am quite sure that you can get it working with a new quartz. The one that is attached seems to be original, although the pads have been resoldered for a reason I don´t know.
Hanno.

Hi Hanno. Thank you very much for posting your thoughts on this.

It's good to read that the QC may be original. Could it have been a factory repair that shows the pads as resoldered? Lastly, replacing the QC is this work that can be done by Peter in Ottawa?

Edit to add: I'm very glad to hear that I did get a good deal :-D I think even taking in new parts and repair I may still be below market value for these models. I just need to find two links for the bracelet.

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post11 May 2015, 18:44

Here's some pictures of the case and bracelet. I took the watch apart as it has pretty dirty on the outside.

I used a sponge with a rough green side to polish the case and bracelet. I didn't use steel wool as some suggest because I didn't want particles getting stuck to the button. I thought the magnet inside the button would attract the metal from the steel wool.

I didn't polish too much as I like a watch to have a bit of age to it. The clasp had a small dent and I was able to remove that and polish the clasp as well.

I washed the case and bracelet with warm water, dish soap and ammonia. After drying everything, (except the module of course) with a hairdryer.

The case will need a new seal as the old one is dry and flat, but I don't have one big enough.

It is a beautiful watch and i think if I can have it serviced it will, as Hanno wrote, be a great daily wearer.

Brightlightredlight

Geek

Geek

Post11 May 2015, 19:48

Hello, yeah, that is the auction for the modules. You can pick up a new crystal on E-bay for $50. It is easy to install and a good deal for $50. You can always use grey scotchbrite to refinish that case. With stainless you do not have to worry about polishing too much. Should be a sweet P2 when finished.

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post11 May 2015, 21:35

The quartz looks original and I doubt it has been changed yet. Quite a few Omega modules were delivered with exactly this quartz type. Sure, Peter can swap the quartz and Bruce will be happy, that the original module is saved from scrap. I don´t know any source for new seals so I might be interested myself.

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post11 May 2015, 22:54

Brightlightredlight wrote:Hello, yeah, that is the auction for the modules. You can always use grey scotchbrite to refinish that case.

Thanks for the tip about the grey Scotchbrite pad Brightlightredlight. I haven't decided about the crystal yet. I should change it, but I like a watch to have some age to it.

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post11 May 2015, 22:59

SASM wrote:The quartz looks original and I doubt it has been changed yet. Quite a few Omega modules were delivered with exactly this quartz type. Sure, Peter can swap the quartz and Bruce will be happy, that the original module is saved from scrap. I don´t know any source for new seals so I might be interested myself.

Thanks much for the info about the quartz Hanno. Good to know it's original. That info about the Omega modules is a good piece of history to store away. I'll email Peter and go from there. I'm going to call H&W Perrin a watch supply house in Toronto to see what size seals they sell. I know they have assortment packs, but these cases need a 38mm which is pretty big.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 May 2015, 03:47

I don't think this module needs washing in vin/water/alch. It looks clean to me. Do you have spacers for the batts? If not they could be moving around in the cavities. Another thing I discovered is if the seal on the back is not good and tight moisture can enter and cause the module to stop. This did happen on this particular date/command. After I tightened the retainer down it has been working fine. If all the digits light up and the watch runs it may not be the qc. Peter in AZ, USA

cte

Techie

Techie

Post12 May 2015, 13:03

It looks really nice from the pics. Congrats. There are some good options for module repair/replacement as the others have mentioned. One thing (you might already know, but I didn't until it was pointed out to me recently on this forum) is be careful when handling the module. It can be easily damaged with static electricity. Ideally its best to handle the module (even when just changing the battery) with a grounding strap or in an environment with high humidity. Good luck with your watch. I love P2's. Yours looks lovely. :grin1:

Brightlightredlight

Geek

Geek

Post12 May 2015, 15:30

I bought a ESD mat a long time ago that I use for battery changes. It has a wrist strap with it. It pays to invest in the proper tools if you own these Pulsars. Esd mat, proper case wrenches for the case back and of course the proper battery spacers for P2 and P3 modules. Also it is wise to invest in a nice case holder to put your watch in when removing case back. These inexpensive items will keep you from damging your nice Pulsar. Also it is wise to use quality batteries in these watches. There is a lot of knowlegable people here on the forum that can help with almost any problem.

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post13 May 2015, 02:06

clockace wrote:Do you have spacers for the batts? If not they could be moving around in the cavities. Another thing I discovered is if the seal on the back is not good and tight moisture can enter and cause the module to stop.Peter in AZ, USA

Hey Peter. I do have spacers in the module that I bought on ebay. The seal however is old but I have one on order to replace it.

cte wrote:It looks really nice from the pics. Congrats.

Hi cte. Thanks much :-D Fortunately when I've been going over this watch it has been very humid here. I'll have to look into a ground strap.

Brightlightredlight wrote:It pays to invest in the proper tools if you own these Pulsars. There is a lot of knowlegable people here on the forum that can help with almost any problem.

Agreed about having the proper tools Brightlightredlight. And I have received some great information here, and by using the search function. A great specialized message board.

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post13 May 2015, 02:14

Thought I'd post an update.

After finding a thread that clockace started about washing his module:

http://newdwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=5899

And after talking with Peter I decided to bathe my module. It gave a single digit in various positions and the colon a few times after the bath, but then repeatedly worked when I installed the batteries. It worked 10 times remembering the time each time I pressed down the case back rather than just giving a 0:00, so I decided to close it up and set the time.

It's been almost 24 hours and it's still working. The only issue right now is it has lost 14 seconds in 24 hours.

I'll keep watching it and see what happens. Any thoughts you all would like to add would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Paul

Edited to add: I wanted to note that the display also appears to be a bit brighter than before. I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing, but in dark conditions the read-out appears to be slightly brighter than the previous times it was working.

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post15 May 2015, 01:34

Hey everyone. Thought I'd post an update.

The module has been working non stop for three days now. It is currently running slow however. After three days it's minus 36 seconds, or about a half second per hour.

I'm going to let it run the week and decide what I'll do then. Glad it's running but not so happy about the .5 sec per hour something neither the course nor fine trimmer could zero out from what I've read here.

I should also note that I haven't been wearing the watch so it's been sitting on my dresser. No idea what the time keeping would be on my wrist, but I doubt it would be much better.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post15 May 2015, 01:47

It will usually be different on the wrist. I would reset it and wear it. If it hasn't run for years the qc may stabilize in a few wks. The fact it is still running is grounds for great joy. Peter

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post15 May 2015, 01:54

clockace wrote:It will usually be different on the wrist. I would reset it and wear it. If it hasn't run for years the qc may stabilize in a few wks. The fact it is still running is grounds for great joy. Peter

Thanks much for your thread on the vinegar bath and these tips Peter.

And you're right--every time I press the button and the screen lights up I let out a sigh of relief ;-)

I'm hoping to win at least one ebay auction for a PII and be able to get a couple of extra links for the bracelet. Hopefully by then the new gaskets will be here and I can get it all sorted out and start wearing the watch.

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post17 May 2015, 02:01

I was wondering if weak batteries could be causing the module to run slow?

I bought a 3 pack of Energizer 357 batteries and when I tested the third battery I didn't use it was only 1.350 volts. If the other two are also like this that means the module is only getting 2.7 volts or possibly less, instead of 3.1 volts.

Any opinions on this?

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post17 May 2015, 03:04

I would get new batts. Fresh ones. If you can get Renata. They are dated on the edge as to date of manufacture.

cte

Techie

Techie

Post17 May 2015, 09:58

It's unlikely the batteries are making it run slow. Get fresh batteries though for sure. The time loss will likely be down to an ageing Quartz crystal.

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post17 May 2015, 19:35

I ended up getting fresh batteries. I tested them and the voltage was 1.5612 for one and 1.550 for the other. I installed them and the watch starting acting up; only showing one digit in each spot, showing the colon, or just not working. It took about 40 minutes but I got the 0:00 and closed up the back and set the watch.

I noticed the trimmer has corrosion and is seized tight, most likely from battery leakage. I wonder if that may be hampering the voltage reaching the QC?

Also the button was sticking occasionally. I'll have to get some graphite spray.

I'm watching a few PII's on ebay and hopefully will win one. Then I'll be able to send both watches to Hanno. My goal is to get a couple of extra links on this bracelet and put the other on a strap. Getting both modules serviced being the hopeful end result.

It was a good ride, but the poor PII had a pretty rough evening and morning :-(
Last edited by Your Watch Says? on 26 May 2015, 01:03, edited 2 times in total.

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post17 May 2015, 21:04

I just checked the time and it had gained 1 second per hour rather than half a second. Then I got a single digit in the last position, the first, the second then the colon. I decided to remove the batteries from the module and put the watch away until I can have it serviced.
Next

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton