New Member with a PII Question

• Author

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Re: New Member with a PII Question

Post08 Sep 2015, 20:43

Your Watch Says? wrote:
bruce wegmann wrote:With all due respect to your watchmaker, I have to regard that as a narrow-minded and short-sighted view of the LED collector's market. He's obviously never had a working P1 on his wrist... ;-)

:Hi: Bruce
+1
Having said that neither have I but one day I hope to.

When he started working professionally in 1974 he worked for a shop that sold Rolex. He saw people coming in and trading their Rolex watches for Pulsars and he was dumbfounded about it. He remembered the shop owner telling him that Pulsar was the new game in town and mechanical watches would be fondly remembered like like the horse and buggy :roll:

With even more due respect his boss wasn't the only one who thought that.
There were just as many within the mechanical watch industry thought it,
as in the Pulsar camp, percentage wise anyway. IMHO.
So at the risk of appearing clever your :roll: at the end is easy to do with hindsight.
I don't believe it was so obvious at the time.
:amen:

May I make one suggestion Sir?
Try reading a book called How to win friends and influence people.
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post08 Sep 2015, 21:12

jagmad wrote:May I make one suggestion Sir? Try reading a book called How to win friends and influence people.

I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to add this. This was a discussion among fellow collectors and nothing more. You made it something more with that final sentence, jagmad.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post09 Sep 2015, 01:20

Hi, :Hi: Sorry may be I misunderstood?
Would you like to elaborate on the comment:
When he started working professionally in 1974 he worked for a shop that sold Rolex. He saw people coming in and trading their Rolex watches for Pulsars and he was dumbfounded about it. He remembered the shop owner telling him that Pulsar was the new game in town and mechanical watches would be fondly remembered like like the horse and buggy :roll:

Including the rolling of the eye's, (at the end) just so I fully understand.

:Prost:
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post09 Sep 2015, 02:06

jagmad wrote:Hi, Sorry may be I misunderstood? Would you like to elaborate on the comment: Including the rolling of the eye's, (at the end) just so I fully understand.

Actually no, I wouldn't like to elaborate on what I posted.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post09 Sep 2015, 02:51

Your Watch Says? wrote:
jagmad wrote:Hi, Sorry may be I misunderstood? Would you like to elaborate on the comment: Including the rolling of the eye's, (at the end) just so I fully understand.

Actually no, I wouldn't like to elaborate on what I posted.

M:)W:)M
Well you made my day: :Prost:
Oh and errr :roll:

Don't ask me to elaborate.

Sorry about me... !@@! !@@! !@@!

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post16 Sep 2015, 02:07

I heard from Ed tonight and he has completed the PII.

First off I want to clear some things up: I am not disappointed with Ed and I do not hold LED repair people in low regard. I understand that good work takes time. I'm a realist and I like to know upfront if something will take weeks, or months.

I will never buy another non working module again. If I do, I won't hesitate to send it to Ed again. If I decide to buy a working watch, I won't think twice about buying from Ed.

He may not be quick to reply to emails, (and by the sounds of it some buyers flood him with emails which can be frustrating,) but he's true to his word. Add to that he is sending the watch and refused payment until I receive it, and I cannot complain.

That said, here's a pic Ed sent. I'll post more when the watch arrives.

Last edited by Your Watch Says? on 16 Sep 2015, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post16 Sep 2015, 02:47

Cool. Enjoy the watch. Peter

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post16 Sep 2015, 03:06

clockace wrote:Cool. Enjoy the watch. Peter

Thank you Peter. And thank you for your help as well :Prost:

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Sep 2015, 21:02

Regarding turnaround time for repairs, here is an old invoice for a repair with Omega. With all the resources at their disposal, they still quote 16 weeks. Also note- from the date of my instruction to repair and the return of the watch , 5 months had elapsed, give or take. Motto- if it aint ready, wear a different watch until it is

morrison2951

Post17 Sep 2015, 20:46

Good to see that the P2 is back up and running! :-D

With our beloved LED watches now 4 decades old or so, patience is a virtue when it comes to getting them repaired.

Your Watch Says?

Nerd

Nerd

Post19 Oct 2015, 01:42

Well, I thought I'd post an update.

I received the two watches I sent to Ed on October 2. By October 3 the repaired module was acting up--it would turn on by itself and either stay locked on the seconds or turn off. If I pushed the button myself most of the time it would lock on the seconds and remain like that for a few seconds to several minutes.

The issue with the serviced module locking on the seconds and turning on by itself did not stop so on Saturday Oct 10 I decided to take the serviced module out of the case and put it in the second shiny case and see if it was the button or the module.

The first thing I saw with the serviced watch is that the bow tie clip was not reattached to the case back, and both module screws were missing and lastly the timing screw had not been replaced. The module was still acting up as well--locking on the seconds and turning on by itself so it's not the case button but the module itself. It had been on the seconds display for the entire day so I finally removed the batteries.

I decided to replace the batteries yesterday Oct 16 and it immediately went to the seconds and remained there without me touching the button. Sometimes the seconds would count past 60 and go to 70, 80 and in one case 99 before resetting to 00.

That's the issue with the serviced module, the other issues are the second module which could not be fixed wasn't returned and another rewired module was sent it it's place. Just to itemize the issues I've had here:

1. Serviced module is not working right
2. Non-serviced module was not returned
3. Bow tie clip was not reattached to the case back
3. All 4 module screws were not returned
5. A new timing screw was not attached to the module

I've been in contact with Ed about this and his suggestions haven't worked and his excuses have been unacceptable. All in all I'm sorely disappointed I bought these watches and more so for wasting time and money having them serviced. Ed reduced his service charge from $144 to $86 so I appreciate him doing that.

My chief concern was Ed denying he returned the wrong module and then after receiving pictures from me still insisted that "if" he sent the wrong module it was a mistake and not intentional. Odd since he wanted to keep the module and the case and bracelet. I said to return them and yet he still kept the module. I didn't expect a miracle with a piece of electronics that is over 40 years old, but I expected honesty.

I think this was an interesting foray into LED watches, but I have serious doubts I will continue with this particular watch collecting hobby in regards to buying watches. Maybe in the future if I can find a good working example from a reputable seller I will bite, but right now I'm going to have to exercise caution when buying in the future and just be content to read this forum and look at pictures of other people's working watches.

A big thank you to everyone here who helped me with advice and your thoughts and opinions. I wish I had heeded the advice of a couple of members regarding Ed, but that's water under the bridge now.

Thank you :Prost:

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post19 Oct 2015, 23:33

Very painful reading your story. As I have experienced from the same person, there is something very wrong with ethics & fellow business practices. He's not the only one. Just remember when you are dealing with some of the 'hobbyist' repair guys and others, either selling, buying or repairing, if they themselves are collectors of Pulsars, you may or may not always get professional attention, but that is only learned after the fact. There are a few outstanding Pulsar enthusiasts to deal with and then there are some real tools. If you have something they want, extreme caution is the best advice. Funny how you gain valuable experience and insite on what's good and bad about this hobby, only after you get screwed or taken for a ride. I only have one or two go to people/sellers when I have an interest in Pulsar buying. One is Lloyd! I won't mention the other as it will give away my secrets. :-D My entire Pulsar collection consists of watches from only 3 people now. All the rest have been sold and I feel good about my collection again!

I hope you can sit back, relax abit and collect yourself and in the future if you have an itch for once again sniffing around for another nice Pulsar, I think you know some of the people that will give you up front honest advice without ulterior motives. I wish you the best. Reading your post sent me back to all the bad apples I've dealt with in this hobby but I feel pretty good now that I know who they are and how to once again enjoy the hobby as best I can. :Prost:

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post20 Oct 2015, 00:50

Timecollector wrote:I hope you can sit back, relax abit and collect yourself and in the future if you have an itch for once again sniffing around for another nice Pulsar, I think you know some of the people that will give you up front honest advice without ulterior motives. I wish you the best. Reading your post sent me back to all the bad apples I've dealt with in this hobby but I feel pretty good now that I know who they are and how to once again enjoy the hobby as best I can. :Prost:

+1 :roll:

I think it best I leave it to the more diplomatic, like Timecollector to make this kind of post.
I bow to your superiority in these situations. ;-)
~:(

Previous

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton