It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 16:33

Identifing a Hamilton QTC/QED?

• Author

PlanetBill

Identifing a Hamilton QTC/QED?

Post08 Jul 2015, 17:20

Just trying to find as much info as I can on this watch. It was my fathers, he is the original owner, can't be for sure exactly when he bought it.
I was thinking before 1974 maybe?

image1resize.jpg

image2resize.jpg

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Identifing a Hamilton QTC/QED?

Post08 Jul 2015, 20:36

The caseback date code is for May of 1973, so, that's your best clue as to when the watch was assembled. It could, of course, have been sold well after that. 999 is the model number. The Quartz Time Computer (one-button) models were first; the Quartz Electronic Digital (two-button) models followed. Early QTCs are sometimes seen with 201-1 modules. All QEDs use 301-3 modules. Time Computer (Pulsar) continued selling modules back to Hamilton through most of 1974, then stopped, presumably because every module they could make needed to go into a Pulsar watch. At that point, Hamilton designed new cases and switched to Frontier modules for the remainder of their LED production. The stainless QTC is by far the scarcest of the Hamilton LEDs.

PlanetBill

Post08 Jul 2015, 22:20

73 sounds about right. Some people who knew dad, who I know didn't really see him much after late 73 or so, remember the watch well
and spoke to me about how cool it was for that period in time.

Any clue to which module this could be, it is a single button (time only) model.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post08 Jul 2015, 23:53

To determine that, I would have to see pics (front and back) of the module out of the watch. It has to be either a 201-1 (single trimmer, horizontal light sensor), or 201-2, the standard P2 version (dual trimmer, vertical light sensor).

PlanetBill

Post15 Jul 2015, 18:55

Well, decided not to completely remove the module. Went ahead and put new batteries in, and what do you know.
After sitting for ~38 years with the old batteries still in it, it works perfectly. Thanks to all the online resources helping
figure the batteries required. I made my own adapters out of some plastic tubing. :-D

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post15 Jul 2015, 21:32

I correct myself here... In this instance, it IS possible to tell which module you have, without even seeing the front of the watch. The parallel, three-finger battery contacts are the giveaway; you have a 201-2 (vertical light sensor) module in this watch. 201-1s also have a three-finger battery contact, but in either pinwheel or fan-blade style (a variation discussed elsewhere). So, just as well you did not disturb a working watch (you should be aware of the possible danger static electricity poses to opened watches; this early CMOS circuitry is very sensitive, and can be instantly and permanently damaged by voltages above 15V, and static charges can carry hundreds or even thousands of volts). When changing batteries, you should make sure you are grounded, or work when it is raining or foggy (static charges cannot form under conditions of high humidity...>70%).

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton