Thoughts anyone ?
Rgds.

PG101

Techie

Techie

Re: Solid Gold P2 ???

Post24 Jul 2015, 14:02

I agree.
The caseback has been sanded down to the stainless to re-attach the battery connector clip, so that's not solid gold, and I once read on this forum, that the solid gold cases have legs for the module to rest on, as opposed to the solid, machined edges that the modules rest on in stainless/gold-filled cases.
It also looks like someone has gone to some effort to sand out the rest of the wording on the caseback, and leave " *14k " !@@!

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post25 Jul 2015, 10:24

PG101 wrote:(...) that the solid gold cases have legs for the module to rest on, as opposed to the solid, machined edges that the modules rest on in stainless/gold-filled cases.
(...)

Yes, that´s right. I had such a solid gold P2 case about 3 years ago. It looked totally different from the stock cases. This is definately a standard 14k gf case.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post25 Jul 2015, 13:34

Here's what the inside of a solid P2 should look like:
Gold_P2.jpg

I can't believe someone sanded down the 'Goldfilled' portion of the '14k Goldfilled' lettering. It must've gone down to the stainless. Who's going to be fooled by a caseback that says 14k, yet clearly has SS showing through ? :scratch:

Rgds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post25 Jul 2015, 22:31

I sent the seller some pics that clearly show the structural differences between the solid and goldfilled cases. The case back is a different story; doesn't look to me like the gold layer has been disturbed, which would mean that the stamping is incomplete (I have never seen that before). The "14K" marking is, of course, still in the position it would be in, if it were part of a standard 14K stamping (on solid gold models, the "14K" or "14K GOLD" mark is centered directly above the serial number). However, the listing is still up and unchanged, so I guess the seller remains unconvinced.
UPDATE: Listing ended, "Item No Longer Available". I guess they finally looked at my pics and got the message. On the other hand, if they actually sold this, privately, sooner or later that will come back to bite them, big time.
BTW, ALL solid gold models (especially the P2s, 3s, and 4s), whether 14 or 18 karat, have this same type of internal construction. 14K cases have a single "X" centered above the time screen; 18K, a "XX", to avoid confusion (marking done at factory).

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton