It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:03

Pulsar P2's need a new lease of life

• Author

jametaylor

Pulsar P2's need a new lease of life

Post12 Oct 2015, 04:00

HI, I would really value some advice and guidance as a result of an impulse purchase.......

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Vintage-Pu ... true&rt=nc

It would seem I am the proud owner of two P2’s - presumably neither of which in working condition. They are currently being posted to me in Australia so I wanted to get some advice on how to proceed in a way that maximises my chance of breathing life back into these beauties once they turn up.

I have read as much as I can find ( and understand) on the process of diagnosing and fixing modules. However, unencumbered by technical knowledge or experience I may well have bitten off way more than I can chew. So I wanted to run through my plan and get some advice.

1. buy some batteries and spacers probably from retroled.com (hope he posts to Australia...)

2 assuming no joy bathe both modules in vinegar

3a Assuming no joy I hit a wall at this point. And refer to earlier posts on the new modules available and accept I probably should have spent more in the first place on a working watch.

3b in the unlikely event they both work, i have a watch each to hand down to my two sons

So in summary I am trying to work out the most effective/likely and cost effective way to get at least one watch running (the Tiffany’s one is the one I want as a daily wearer) without trying to take on a project that is way out of my skill set and risk killing a pulsar which is of course sacrilege. I should also point out I have never done ant fiddly work with a solder iron before.

I will post some photos once the watches arrive but any general comments on the process would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

James

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Pulsar P2's need a new lease of life

Post12 Oct 2015, 15:51

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the world of LED watches and the DWF forum. :-D

I would adopt a wait and see policy, purchase some new silver oxide batteries in preparation for them arriving, keep your fingers crossed that you can remove the case back easily (be careful as it is so easy to slip and scratch the case back if you do not have the correct tool). Once the watches have arrived open up the case back and have a look to see if there are signs of corrosion from leaking batteries, clean the battery contacts (a fibre tipped pen is ideal for this job - you can find these on eBay for very little money) correctly orientate the batteries put the case back on and cross your fingers that it works.

The battery spaces can be easily made from a bit of plastic pipe - information on this is lurking on the forum so if you do a search you should be able to find it. Ed's are cheap enough and are nicely finished if you decide to buy.

If you are unlucky and they do not work I would seek further advise before dipping the module in vinegar as this is only usually done as a 'last resort' by us novices and ideally dipping is best done as part of a 3 stage process, vinegar, bicarbonate of soda (to neutralise the acid) then distilled water to cleanse.

I would also see if you can find a small magnet - if they work you will need one to set the watch anyhow, you could remove the magnet from cupboard door catches etc.

If you do not get any joy all is not lost you could send them to Hanno and have them SASM converted.

"willkommen"

jametaylor

Post14 Oct 2015, 22:11

Thanks very much for your advice and warm welcome.

As advised I will grab some batteries, dismantle the kitchen cupboards when necessary... I have will buy two sets of spacers and o rings from ed (thanks ed you are true gent) then the strategy has a heavy reliance on luck as well am my ability to remove the back of the case.

One question - what is a finer tipped pen? All new to me.

Thanks again for your advice and welcome. I will let you know what arrives in the post.

Cheers
James

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post15 Oct 2015, 12:42

Hi James.
If you're in Sydney you're welcome to bring them over. I've got a P2 caseback wrench.

Rgds,
Andrew.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post15 Oct 2015, 18:45

jametaylor wrote:Thanks very much for your advice and warm welcome............One question - what is a finer tipped pen? All new to me.Cheers
James

Fibre glass tipped pen - see eBay item 281178279715 for an example.

jametaylor

Post19 Oct 2015, 13:36

Thanks Bucko, one pen ordered. Really appreciate the advice.

Andrew - I am indeed in Sydney, I am on the northern beaches. Thanks for your kind offer, particularly timely as I was outbid last night on a opening tool.

According to the postal tracking service I should have the watches here tomorrow and can then work out what I have. I will post some snaps of anyone is interested?

Thanks again,
James

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post19 Oct 2015, 13:45

jametaylor wrote:..... I will post some snaps of anyone is interested?James

Photo's are always welcome and they also help when it comes to diagnosing faults and spotting issues. :-D

baldjamie

Post01 Jan 2016, 12:37

Just to close the loop in this. Both watches were "lost" in the post. Absolutely gutted. So back to the drawing board for a tiffanys P2 General wearer. Any ideas?

Also to ease the pain of disappointment I bought a "working" calculator watch (901 I think) just needed new batteries. Only to find..... You guessed it, it doesn't work. So any hints on what to do if your 901 doesn't light up would be greatly appreciated.

No one said 40 year old watch ownership was going to be easy, but that doesn't make it less disappointing.

Happy new year! I am determined to get one working watch on my wrist in 2016.

Cheers
James

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post01 Jan 2016, 17:32

Best plan to achieve your ambition to have a working watch is to take care when deciding which watch to purchase - only buy a watch that is tested, can be demonstrated to be in full working order and is guaranteed before parting with any money - might cost a few extra quid but saves a lot of disappointment.

Buying anything advertised as untested, only needing batteries, was working when last used, sold as seen or anything similar is a gamble you should only take if you are prepared to accept a non-working watch.

Why the change of name?

baldjamie

Post02 Jan 2016, 13:22

Good advice no doubt. I will search for advice on how to try and fix the 901 will low expectations and accepting I have a nice bracelet if nothing else.
As for the name thing, no idea I must have set up two user names by mistake

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton