It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:05

2 different pulsar 3013 ?

• Author

Kasper

Guru

Guru

2 different pulsar 3013 ?

Post25 Oct 2016, 19:58

Can someone explain the difference in both backplates? The modules are the same.

:dwf:
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: 2 different pulsar 3013 ?

Post25 Oct 2016, 22:19

I could probably help you, but the images are not coming up...There are certainly a number of variations of both the plastic carrier (the "movement ring", as I have heard it called), and the circuit board itself, in several combinations.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post29 Oct 2016, 05:39

Hi Kasper,

I might be misunderstanding the question, but I think the key difference is visible in your photo... right there in the middle of the case... starting with the word "SWISS", ending in "CASE". :)

During the height of the Pulsar years (1974 to 1976-ish), a bunch of P3 and P4 Executive cases were produced by Ervin Piquerez S.A. in Bassecourt, Switzerland. Curiously, the Swiss made cases had slightly different shapes than the more common ones produced by Star Watch Case Company in Lancaster, PA (note the little star on the left case back). The Swiss P3 cases were more rounded on the sides all the way to the back without the flat bevel at the base like the US cases. The Swiss P4 Exec cases had a more elliptical oval shape rather than the TV shape of the Star made cases. If you'd like comparison photos, let me know.

It would be interesting to know about the manufacturing process that was used at the time to understand what might account for the differences in shape. It wasn't like today where you would simply email a CAD file with precise definition of the bezier curves involved and then feed that to your CNC machine. Anyone have any ideas how that all worked?

Cheers,

-abe.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post29 Oct 2016, 09:56

Thx Abe...yes i wanted to know the history behind it. Nice to see you again btw :-D

i was wondering how many were made in Europe and how many different models?
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

Timecollector

Techie

Techie

Post31 Oct 2016, 22:13

abem wrote: The Swiss P4 Exec cases had a more elliptical oval shape rather than the TV shape of the Star made cases. If you'd like comparison photos, let me know.

Comparison pics of the P4 cases . Quite unique... :Hi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton