It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 13:21

My P1 after 2 years sitting in the safe

• Author

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

My P1 after 2 years sitting in the safe

Post21 Dec 2016, 12:54

After two years I picked up my P1 from the bank again and was wondering if the E/D is still working. To make it short, yes it does but there are already problems with the 1st digit of the seconds display. It´s darker and the f - bar doesn´t work anymore. Fortunately I still have a few shift registers left, so that I can fix that myself. Anything else works just perfect and it´s also keeping good time.

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: My P1 after 2 years sitting in the safe

Post21 Dec 2016, 13:36

:O`~ :O`~ :O`~ :O`~ :O`~ :O`~ :O`~ :O`~

yes no doubt, you just have to sent it to me for a cleaning..i see dust on the buckle :grin1: ... its the only opportunity i will ever have to feel it around my wrist :O`~
Just kidding...super duper shots...still a great watch :-D

:dwf:
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Dec 2016, 20:38

If there is one thing i've learned in this hobby Kasper, its never say never. Your grail is probably around the corner

Andrew Babanin

Techie

Techie

Post27 Dec 2016, 10:03

Sorry for a question, Is it that the very first Pulsar, which came in 1970 and only 3 were alive to 90-s? I didn't find this watch in Pieter Doensen's book :(
The proof of the pudding is in the eating...

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post29 Dec 2016, 04:09

The first actual, functioning electronic digital watches were the six Hamilton prototypes built in 1970 (the official announcement from Hamilton was on May 6, 1970). They were over-complicated and impractical (using, as they did, TTL logic, which consumed too much power to give useful battery life), but they were a solid proof-of-concept watch. Though most probably still exist, only one or two are definitely known to be in collectors' hands.
The first commercially-viable electronic digital was the P1 Limited Edition, which first went on public sale on April 4, 1972. Much controversy swirls around the exact number made, but it seems most likely the original plan was an edition of 500, which, under constraints of time, combined with manufacturing problems, was scaled down to 450, with only about 400 being actually completed and sold. Until recently, all were thought to have been done in 18K gold, but a single 14K specimen is now known. Of those, only about 50 are known in collections (the great majority of the rest probably being consigned to the melting pot in 1980, at the peak of gold prices, as by that time, they were technologically obsolete, no longer being serviced, out of style, and worth more as scrap than the original purchase price).
The original ED (Electro-Data) modules either had a design flaw in the circuit, or were constructed with chips of marginal reliability, as P1s began failing in the field almost immediately. At some point, probably just a few months after their initial release, a recall letter was sent to all registered P1 owners offering a module replacement and warranty extension (to 3 years). More than 90% were returned and refitted with an updated module (the 201-1, which was used in the early P2 models). Later returns were fitted with the 201-2 (which used a smaller circuit board and dual-trimmer adjustment system; only a few P1s are known with this variation). Only a relative handful of the ED modules survive; after being replaced, most were accounted for and destroyed at the Lancaster factory.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post29 Dec 2016, 05:21

Just to add to this, the one shown above not only has the original Electro-data module, but is fully working ! There's a thread on here somewhere outlining Hanno's repairs.
Note the seconds display is underneath the time display.

Bruce, you mention that at least 2 of the 6 prototype Hamiltons exist in collectors hands. Are there any photographs o these specimens floating around ? I don't recall ever seeing any detailed modern photos of this watch.
Rgds,
Andrew.

jagmad

Guru

Guru

Post05 Jan 2017, 01:29

charger105 wrote:Just to add to this, the one shown above not only has the original Electro-data module, but is fully working ! There's a thread on here somewhere outlining Hanno's repairs.
Note the seconds display is underneath the time display.

Rgds,
Andrew.

:Hi:
Is this it?
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=6628#p42612
"I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member" Julius Henry Marx

"If necessity is the mother of invention, then mother is now standing at the door calling us in to do our home work"

IF YOUR MOBILE PHONE OR SMART WATCH DOESN'T NEED CHARGING AT LEAST EVERY WEEK YOU EITHER...
A. HAVE NO LIFE/FRIENDS. OR NEED FOR ONE.
B. YOU NEED TO SWITCH IT ON.

Erinn

Post20 Feb 2017, 04:46

Re: P1

It truly is a thing of beauty. A pity the digits weren't slightly larger, but that is ok.

The LED watch introduced a new aesthetic, I think. The combination of red/gold is quite striking.

Wear it in good health!

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton