It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:22

Unusual behavior in P4

• Author

Erinn

Unusual behavior in P4

Post03 Mar 2017, 01:01

I just got a P4 Classic, with Autoset feature, and I noticed that after I set the desired time the display that I want, the display goes black after a length of time (30 seconds?) but there appears a steady "-" (minus sign, one segment lit) at the last digit. Just one bar segment lit, the one in the middle, resembling a minus sign. It stays on indefinitely until I press button.

When I push button to synchronize with external time reference the display lights up with the time, and is normal again.

I am new to collecting these (so far have about 10). This "minus sign" is new to me.

Everything else is normal. I am testing the timekeeping.

Is this "minus sign" a normal feature on some Autoset modules? Or could this be an early sign of module failure?

I think it is anomaly, but maybe harmless.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Unusual behavior in P4

Post03 Mar 2017, 01:46

I just checked a few of my P4s, and none of them show this behavior. After setting the display normally goes dark immediately (magnet-set version) or after 5 seconds (Auto-Set version). So, I would have to consider what your watch is doing, a new symptom of aging in Time Computer electronics.
As a side note...on the 800 module (Auto-Set module used in the Men's Sport and Touch-Command Dress), if the minutes are set, a single blinking colon dot remains on after the display blanks, presumably as a reminder that the watch was set, and needs to be re-started for normal timekeeping.

Erinn

Re: Unusual behavior in P4

Post03 Mar 2017, 04:13

Thank you Bruce, for your reply.

It appears to exhibit this behavior consistently, which I suppose is a good thing.

And I was wrong about the 30-second delay; the "minus sign" kicks in exactly at 5 seconds.

Timekeeping appears to be perfect thus far. (I use www.time.is as a reference.)

So, I will not lose any sleep over it.

But if it is an early sign of IC failure, I may consider sending it to HAnno for an SASM "transplant".

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton