It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:25

Magnet info

• Author

Shiniquiet

Nerd

Nerd

Magnet info

Post04 Mar 2017, 00:02

Who knows anything about the magnets for these Pulsars? I have an SS Executive that is acting up. With February being a short month I had to correct the watch, of course. But I can't. I got it a couple of years ago off of Ed C. and it has worked like a champ. (I've reached out to Ed but haven't heard from him. In fact, I've emailed him several times over the last few months in regard to a Bigtime of mine he has and is working/going to work on, but haven't heard from him. I know he has a lot of irons in the fire and I hate to bug him but I'm starting to be concerned about his well being. Anybody been in touch with him lately?) Anyway, back to the magnet. The magnet I've been trying to use is from a P3 that I have and I can't remember if it worked before on Executive or not. I've gone through the house trying any magnet I can find. Some of the magnets will get the digits to light but not advance except for the hour digit. Maybe it's not a magnet thing but a reed switch deal. Do they wear out and, if so, how the heck do you fix them or where can it be sent to be fixed?

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Magnet info

Post05 Mar 2017, 21:44

Magnet-set P4s adjust like P3s. To change Date, press BOTH buttons and place magnet in the HR recess (to change month, press only the DATE button). P3 magnets generally don't work on P4s (they are polarized differently). For most consistent operation, you should get a P4 magnet.

Shiniquiet

Nerd

Nerd

Post05 Mar 2017, 23:34

Thanks for the response, Bruce. I was beginning to think that I wasn't going to get any help.

Your insight now begs another question. Is there any place other than Ebay to acquire the magnet I need?

Shiniquiet

Nerd

Nerd

Post10 Mar 2017, 19:09

Ok, for the last several days I've been messing with The Executive mentioned above, a P3 magnet, and a couple of other magnets I found on the refrigerator. Yesterday I was finally able to get the back off and put in some fresh batteries hoping that would help my issue. It may have. I just spent most of this morning (Friday) alternating the different magnets trying to set the watch. None of the magnets work on the watch all of the time. However, I now have everything set on the watch except for the day. I've been trying to do that for the last two hours. Maybe this isn't a magnet thing but a watch thing. I just don't know enough about these little puppies to figure out what to do next. (I've been trying to reach Ed C. from whom I got the watch a couple of years ago but haven't received a response from him. He usually responded in the past after maybe one or two tries on my part but it's been several now and I don't have any idea what might be going on.)

I know I could just wear the thing and forget about the date function, but I'd really like this thing to work like it's supposed to. Of course, wouldn't you know it, now that I at least have the hour and minutes set correctly the time change this weekend.

Since now that I can get the back open is there something on the module that I need to check to make sure is working properly or is this really a magnet thing? If so, where the heck does one get another magnet for a P4? Or, since I'm not hearing from ED C, who else works on these things? Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post10 Mar 2017, 20:20

1) Magnet polarity is the BIG thing here as mentioned.

2) reed activation response is next.

Some times when reeds are replaced or buttons removed this throws off a well tuned response. Over time do reed switches age? Over time does the working magnet degrade?

I have always had setting problems with my omega TC2 but mange to get there in the end. I have six magnet set pulsar models and they all have idiosyncrasies of some magnitude or other.

Geoff

Shiniquiet

Nerd

Nerd

Post10 Mar 2017, 22:24

Thanks for the reply, Geoff. My oldest Pulsar is 40 years old and I've never had setting problems like this with it. The Executive however is a different horse. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one that has difficulty. Now, if I only knew what to try next.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post11 Mar 2017, 06:59

Yes, to both your questions (reeds age, and magnets degrade, as does everything, even us). It's called Entropy, and it is the Order of Things in this Universe.
The Reed/Magnet setting system was very clever, as it eliminated the need for multiple holes (and their associated seals) in the case, through which stems and crowns would have to pass. But, they discovered that it is very difficult to construct a solution for a problem that does not create other (sometimes worse) problems.
Magnets can be damaged in three different ways. First, exposure to high temperature (typically, several hundred degrees C; the so-called Curie-point, at which a magnetic material loses its' magnetic field). Not a likely scenario, for these magnets. Second, exposure to an intense external field. This can alter the field strength (up OR down) and polarization (direction of N-S orientation). Third, being subjected to a powerful mechanical shock (on the order of dozens to hundreds of G's). "Permanent" magnets can only lose, never gain, field strength in this way. It has been correctly pointed out that field polarization is critical for reliable actuation of switches (both types).
With the right equipment, setting magnets CAN be successfully re-polarized. Note: button magnets are also subject to the above influences.
Reed switches have their own set of potential ills. They were the real weak point in the Time Computer design, being little more than thin glass tubes enclosing paper-thin slivers of metal. Though potted in silicone rubber to enhance their resistance to high-G shocks, such events could still (A) Break the glass, or (B) Bend one or both of the contact leaves, which could (A) Render the switch completely inoperative, (B) Cause the switch to latch (so a function stayed on continuously), or (C) Increase the separation between the leaves so a button or setting magnet could not close them. There is no "repair" for these conditions; damaged or defective switches must be replaced. Note: Setting switches require a stronger magnetic field to close (otherwise, it might be possible to trigger a setting function when pressing a demand button), so a setting switch should never be used to replace a demand switch (the chance of it working properly...or at all, approach zero). If at all possible, reeds should always be replaced with one of like type. Secondary Note: In an attempt to expedite replacement of reeds, demand switches were sorted by field-strength-needed-to-actuate, in three levels..."standard", "low", and "high". Standard switches were unmarked, "low" was green, and "high" was red...the origin of the dabs of red and green paint on the ends of some switches. For example, if a watch came in with a damaged Time reed that was marked red, they were vastly more likely to get an acceptable match to the button magnet on the first try with another red-marked switch, rather than a random swap; this has saved me no end of time (and frustration).

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton