It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:16

owning a p1

• Author

led247

owning a p1

Post09 Mar 2017, 13:38

I guess that i have always been a watch person, born into it..All my family member's are keen watch wearers, but for me it all started
(my obsession with LED s ) in 1973, the famous bond scene. Now that was a watch, just being a teenager at the time , the watch was just talk..
We didn't even know if this type of technology even existed ? or if the watch was just a special effect. Then in 1975, in our local jewelers shop window
came the watch of dreams, an LED watch for real, the watch was wired up to light up every minuet. I remember crowds of people standing at the shop window to see this new watch . I remember saying to my friends , that one day , i would own one of those watches (much to the laughter of my friends
the watch was £300 - a kings ransom back then.. It was Christmas 1977 when i got to own my first LED watch (my only gift , but it was worth it)
I just couldn't stop pushing that button. I stuck with that watch until 1979, when the new LCD came along, of course i had to have one of them..
By this time i was working , so i could afford to buy a more expensive time piece. Over the next 5 years or so i bought many LCD watches , calculator ,
stopwatch, tunes , more buttons the merrier, i had them all.. Then in the 1980s , i went back to analogue ,big models , thin ones, even the seiko tv one
(but that's another story) Then in the 90s i called into a new shop in my town ( junk/garage) type, looking round i spotted a blast from the past, an old
LED watch, well ill have to have that, but the owner said it was one of a pair ( the other was a lady's model ) and he wouldn't split them ..So dick Turpin
named his price, and i bought the two of them..Then in 2002 , i discovered e bay, and a pulsar model that i knew well, the p2 bond watch...Of course
i had to own it..and so i did, job done.. but no.. then it was the calculator model, the Tiffany one, the p3 ect. My last one was the pulsar sports model
(502) with this model, i learned of a watch i didn't even know about ..The limited edition pulsar p1..holy sh*t an 18k gold, worlds first LED ... Now the quest was on.. Over the next few years , i would check e bay , every day to see if one would be for sale ( of course there wasn't) i googled the information
on this watch, this was not going to be easy ( and they cost a packet) Then in around 2010 a pulsar p1 came up for sale on e bay, but i couldn't afford it ,
but at least they were available , maybe just maybe another one might come along, . .. 2012 another p1 came up for sale, again another one in a year or so time, but each time , i either missed the listed or i couldn't afford it .. In desperation i contacted john bergey , i knew that he had donated his p1 to the Smithsonian Institute museum, and it wasn't on display any more, maybe he would sell it.? Well he did reply, but no watch..More than 10 years had past now , but still no p1, but my dreams were still strong , i needed to own one..Then in 2015 a p1 came up for sale,and lucky was about to shine on me.
Someone on this forum told (the famous p1 Bruce wegmann) that this p1 was for sale . but Bruce said (he would sit this one out) with the main p1 collector in the world out of the running, this was my chance... WELL DO DREAMS COME TRUE... PLEASE SEE PICTURE BELOW....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by led247 on 18 May 2020, 17:12, edited 5 times in total.

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: owning a p1

Post09 Mar 2017, 20:28

Awesome watch, cool story, and perseverance pays off :-D Your patience is commendable!

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post10 Mar 2017, 14:18

Best thread I've read in here in a while, great story.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post10 Mar 2017, 23:55

Love this story, enjoy

iwatchu

Post07 Apr 2017, 22:03

Great story, led247
Thx for sharing your passion. It's a beautiful watch, enjoy your P1

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post30 Apr 2017, 22:56

Reminds me of when i was younger. Then again - instead of saying "congratulations" - i say "My condolences". Sounds cruel? Well yes of course - nothing is worse than having your biggest dream being fulfilled!!! You just ran out of dreams.

:)

Nah if you're happy about it then just enjoy. But i have always been falling into kinda hole when i fulfilled my dreams. I guess I am just lucky to have a family now that keeps spending my money before i can fulfill new dreams... :grin1:

Hehe, i am just jealous on people who are happy with their dream i guess. I have bought all the watches of my dreams and in the end i never really wore them and just sold them again. But oh well, hopefully that is just me.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post01 May 2017, 01:32

fronzelneekburm wrote:... But oh well, hopefully that is just me.

It isn't ;-)

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post02 May 2017, 11:32

rewolf wrote:
fronzelneekburm wrote:... But oh well, hopefully that is just me.

It isn't ;-)

If you overdo something it becomes less interesting.

I´ve never been a watch collector. But when I bought my P1 I bought it for me and I also wear it from time to time. It´s still a dream watch and the best thing is that I could wear it just today if I would like to do so.

This month I will finally get my Electroquartz. My watch Count increases to incredible 3 pieces + the one I built myself. Feels great!

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post02 May 2017, 22:50

"If you overdo something it becomes less interesting."

I don't know about that...15 years collecting, 10 P1s, 200 Pulsars and counting. For myself, I don't think you can get too much of something you really love...

lesmott

Nerd

Nerd

Post23 May 2019, 22:48

Absolutely made my day today to Meet Led247 and he kindly let me see his 18 Carat P1 absolutely stunning watch. How did this come about? Well I won the eBay auction for his Pulsar Lamp and has Led247 lives near work in Preston Lancashire I went along to collect the lamp. I didn’t want such a rare item to either go missing or get damaged in the post. What I wasn’t expecting is that we both worked for the same company back in 2001 and know the same people. Small world is an understatement. That was fantastic but to then find that Led247 owned a P1 was just amazing. What a great day!!!

Thankyou

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post24 May 2019, 00:22

They ARE fun to own, and even more fun to wear...occasionally. I plan on wearing my first P1 to my 50th High-School reunion in September.

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton