It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 08:13

Dim Executive display

• Author

70's_gal

Geek

Geek

Dim Executive display

Post01 May 2017, 20:46

Hi All: my P4 Exec has always suffered from a noticeably dim display, and I'm wondering if someone can point me to a good staring place to look for the problem.

The display lights up well, all segments work, but it's just equally dim across all the digits (except the colon, which is pretty bright). The light sensor works, dropping the display brightness very low in a dark room, raising the brightness to almost-useable levels in bright ambient light.

Could the light sensor be causing the problem? I kind-of hate to mess with the module, since it otherwise functions perfectly. But it's annoying enough that I rarely wear the watch, and the Exec is one of my favourites.

Thanks for any assistance.

~Sherry.
Too many watches, not enough wrists... ;-)

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Dim Executive display

Post02 May 2017, 21:58

There are a few possibilities...
I have seen P4 modules with two different types of light sensor. A small 2x3mm one, very thin, that is actually soldered to the two connection pads (I believe this is the later type), and a larger, thicker, 2.5x6mm one (which is identical to the one used on the P2 and P3 modules). The larger one is affixed with conductive epoxy, and is easily removed and replaced; the other requires a fine soldering tip and a steady hand.
Second, this display may have been a bit on the dim side from the very beginning; manufacturing techniques for LED displays were in their infancy back in the mid-70s, and some displays left the factory with marginal brightness levels. Only fix here would be a display change-out (a difficult and dangerous procedure, at best).
Last, bad batteries. LEDs are voltage-driven devices, and brightness is sensitive to input voltage. Silver-oxide are the best choice tp power them. If a fresh set of AgO cells don't improve the display, you are back to possibilities one and two.

70's_gal

Geek

Geek

Post03 May 2017, 04:18

Thanks, Bruce. Fresh batteries -I've tried several brands, always silver oxide - make no difference. I can't imagine the watch was ever sold new with this dim of a display, especially if the customer compared it to any other Pulsars at the dealer, but I suppose it's possible, and the watch has always suffered from this problem.
Next time I do a battery change, I'll have a closer look. I've owned it like this for many years....I guess I could just continue to live with it.

~Sherry.
Too many watches, not enough wrists... ;-)

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Aug 2017, 20:08

My Executive also exhibits a dim display. It just seems these modules either were not calibrated correctly or inherent in the P4 design as Bruce has stated. My P2, P3 are all very bright!

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton