Date of production of my Pulsar

• Author

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Date of production of my Pulsar

Post21 Dec 2017, 23:26

Hello,

I want to know if it's possible to identify the month and year of production of my Pulsar's watches with the serial number.
Is anybody know that ?

Best regards
Jean-Michel
Digital LCD & LED watches fan

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Date of production of my Pulsar

Post23 Dec 2017, 00:13

No company records, by which such a determination could be made, are known to exist (if they do, they're not being shared). The best clues are the bracelet date code (which only tells when the bracelet was manufactured, not when it was incorporated into a complete watch...though, if what I was told is correct, parts were assembled into watches and shipped out as fast as possible), and the serial number. We know when most models were introduced, and the serial number runs, so it is possible, with these two factors, to make a fair guess as to the actual production date. Watches still with their original, dated, sales receipt, also help establish a chronological framework.

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Post24 Dec 2017, 15:13

ok, thank you for this information.
I will check the serial number on my case and band :-)

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Post27 Dec 2017, 21:11

Is it possible to know how much P2, P3, P4 and Calculator was products ?

I saw on website "Od Pulsars" an picture where we can see how many watches Time Computeur producted between 1972 ans 1977, around 483.500.
But we don't have the information how much of each was producted.
Is it possible to find this information ?

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post28 Dec 2017, 00:54

Yes...the 483,500 figure is his estimate. One of the ugliest exchanges ever recorded on this Forum was his appraisal of my estimate of 500-550 thousand. If he has company documents to confirm that, he's not sharing. In any case, a nice, round figure of half a million can't be wrong by much, either way. But, I digress...
Lacking documentation, the best alternative I've found is to keep track of serial numbers. It's been easy to guess where they begin, for most models; for example, P2s start at 10001, Executives at 200001, P3s at 100001, the Swiss P4 cases at 500001, etc. Once you know where they start, it becomes just a matter of seeing what the highest number is (it's unlikely that any significant number blocks were omitted in any given series; currency collectors use the same strategy to estimate print runs of paper money). In this sense, eBay has been a valuable source of information (any picture of a watch where the serial number is readable is potentially important). And, since the entire production was accomplished in just over 5-1/2 years, I'm not sure that an exact date of manufacture would add much, if any, value to a specific watch (much more attention gets focused on who owned some watches, rather than when they were made...remember the P1 Col. Parker gave to Elvis?).
I have a list somewhere that attempts to break production down, by model, but it doesn't come close to covering everything, and again, they would be only estimates (and, to be honest, I'm a bit leery of setting off another firestorm, debating the numbers).

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Post28 Dec 2017, 10:39

Hello Bruce,

thank you for your pecious reply.

My interest for the digitals watches is new after 20 years to collect mechanical watches.
This year, it's the year of my 40 years old and I decide to stop to collect vinatges mechanicals watches and I sold all of my mechanicals watches.
The reason is simple, I'm interesting about the technique and the history side of whatchmaking and I'm very sad about the evolution of this.
Now the prices of mechanicals watches are crazy and for an vulgar watch with generic movement ETA or Selita the price is over 500USD just because machanicals watches are tradition, luxury, bla bla bla..just an marketing argument.... :mrgreen:

with the digital watches, it's still possible to have fun without breaking the bank :mega: (not with HP-01, Pulsar Calculator gold or P1 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

And I'm just laughing when Rolex's amators said : " well, the prices of vintages Rolex watches are expensive because vintage Rolex is rare" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
When you think the famous Submariner 5513 was products during 22 years and it's the best seller of the trade, maybe Rolex producted between 1 or 2 millions 5513 models and it's rare M:)W:)M

When you think just 500.000 Pulsar watches was producted in 5 years all models combined, I'm laughing :ironie:
Last edited by Pulsar77 on 28 Dec 2017, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post28 Dec 2017, 11:10

A great post that goes a long way toward putting this in perspective. By today's standards, virtually every model Time Computer ever made would be considered a "Limited Edition" (and there are Pulsar models, of which the known population can be counted on the fingers of one hand...how's that for true rarity?).

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Post28 Dec 2017, 11:17

bruce wegmann wrote:A great post that goes a long way toward putting this in perspective. By today's standards, virtually every model Time Computer ever made would be considered a "Limited Edition" (and there are Pulsar models, of which the known population can be counted on the fingers of one hand...how's that for true rarity?).

Yes exatly, for me all of Pulsar watches are an limited edition with the actual standars, and we are lucky because for the speculators the only precious quartz is the Rolex Oyster quartz :mrgreen:
But I think in 10 years it will be different...

lesmott

Nerd

Nerd

Post01 Jan 2018, 22:36

I have been collecting digital watches for only a couple of years. I’m really liking the history and the rarity of Pulsars. I started with the gold fill but have replaced all these with stainless steel.
In December I’ve bid and won two auctions one a Euro SS Pulsar Calculator with box and papers but sadly the batteries were allowed to leak and so the module is dead. Also I won a working gold fill calculator. My plan is to switch the modules out - both the earlier type so no buttons to change.

I’m aware not to place the working module face down as damage can occur. Can anyone advise any further things that I need to be mindful off to ensure a successful transplant. Both watches are on route at Present one from Germany (Euro) and the gold fill from Canada (working)

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post01 Jan 2018, 23:09

Remember, static electricity is the mortal enemy of all early LED watches (over the years, it's probably killed as many of them as leaking batteries and all other causes combined)...so, always use proper anti-static precautions when handling bare modules.

lesmott

Nerd

Nerd

Post01 Jan 2018, 23:34

Thankyou Bruce for the good advise. I have invested in a proper wrist earth strap and understand Thankyou.

Just a side question one of the calculators doesn’t have any case back screws does anyone have any that they would kindly sell me?

Thanks

Mr Frequency 32768hz

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post03 Jan 2018, 14:05

lesmott wrote:Thankyou Bruce for the good advise. I have invested in a proper wrist earth strap and understand Thankyou.

Just a side question one of the calculators doesn’t have any case back screws does anyone have any that they would kindly sell me?

Thanks

Hi Les,

I have 4 Euro case-back screws. You can have them for free, as its all good Karma :mega: Pm me your address, or email admin@theledwatch.com

Be careful swapping modules. One sneeze on the open bonding wires and its game over. Also the calculator pressure pad doesn't always line up on another module. And will need some jiggling.

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton