Hamilton QED keep not a good time

• Author

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Hamilton QED keep not a good time

Post04 Jan 2018, 13:53

Hello,

I just bought on EBay an Hamilton QED 1 and it doesn’t keep a good time around 10 minutes every 24 hours.
I understand the problem come from the quartz cristal but is it possible to try to adjust the frequance before send it to Hanno for a service ? (Because I want to wear it right now :mega: )

Digital LCD & LED watches fan

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Hamilton QED keep not a good time

Post04 Jan 2018, 23:55

Actually, this is NOT a QED model, but a QTC (Quartz Time Computer). It's also the model Telly Savalas wore in the Kojak TV series.
On the timekeeping, an error of just 1Hz in the frequency translates to about 1000 seconds, or roughly 16 minutes a year, or three seconds per day. Your watch is doing about 200 times worse than that, so the fine trimmer on the back of the module won't have the range to correct this much deviation; you'll have to use the one on the face. If you don't have a quartz monitor, it could take weeks of fiddling with that trimmer to minimize the error, and it might still not have enough range to eliminate it completely. If this was my watch, I'd look at replacing the crystal (maybe more than once, if necessary, until I found one that would adjust back to zero frequency error). But, you do NOT need to replace the module; there is fundamentally nothing wrong with it. If it wasn't for the distance involved, I would suggest you send it to me; I have a large stock of original crystals, and a very accurate quartz monitor...I'm sure I could get this well within the original accuracy spec of + or - 5 seconds/month.
Note: Somewhere down the road, this crystal will just "drop out" of oscillation, and the watch will quit working (I would guess this one is getting close to that point). Just remember, when that happens...you only need a new crystal, not a new module.

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Post05 Jan 2018, 12:10

Thank Bruce for your reply and your proposal, for me it’s not dramatic if the watch doesn’t keep a accurate time. I’ll wait before to do an service.

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Post06 Jan 2018, 12:35

I found an new problem, sometimes the watch doesn’t run when I push on the command and I must tap with my finger on the case for wake up the led diplay.
After, when the Watch is aweke it lost 15/30 minutes !!!
Maybe the battery are old and I must remove them maybe there is not an good spacer, I don’t now.

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Post06 Jan 2018, 16:54

Conclusion : I found the problem... no spacer :grin1:

Last edited by Pulsar77 on 06 Jan 2018, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

lesmott

Nerd

Nerd

Post06 Jan 2018, 18:36

I found the same think on my P2 recently - hope it solves the time loss for you. Lovely looking watch.

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Post06 Jan 2018, 20:40

lesmott wrote:I found the same think on my P2 recently - hope it solves the time loss for you. Lovely looking watch.

Thank you :-D

Pulsar77

Techie

Techie

Post09 Jan 2018, 13:35

Hey Bruce,

Since I put the spacer to the batterys all of the problems are gone and the watch keep a good time, I didn’t have the reflex to open the case back but now I know...

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton