It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:19

Pulsar display question

• Author

joeywaycool

Techie

Techie

Pulsar display question

Post23 Aug 2005, 19:16

I have been looking closely at the photos of a P2 on ebay.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-PULSAR-STEEL-LED-TIME-COMPUTER-WATCH_W0QQitemZ50256....

Does the display look right to you? Seems as if it doesn't have the right digits to be a Pulsar module....

ledwatch

Banned

Re: Pulsar display question

Post23 Aug 2005, 20:29

Yes you're right, if you look at the light sensor you can see that its above the display, therefore this watch has been modified with either a later P4 module or else more than likely a Sanyo module.

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post23 Aug 2005, 23:29

How can you guys see the light sensor? Is it the little notch in the crystal at the 12:00 position?

Reading info like this makes me glad I ran into you group of guys :D I would have been hornswaggled many times over if it wasn't for this site.

ledwatch

Banned

Post24 Aug 2005, 00:17

If you enlarge the closeup picture you can can see the long light sensor behind the red glass and directly above the 'P' of Pulsar, it should lie vertically - using paintshop to brighten up the picture also helps but take my word for it, that ones a dud, Im sure the seller doesnt actually know - but it isnt 100% genuine.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Post24 Aug 2005, 00:28

Digits don't look quite tall enough to be a P4 display; more likely a Ladies' Pulsar electronics grafted onto a P2 movement ring. A couple hours' worth of fairly delicate work, and even this is better than a totally dead watch, but definitely not original. Good enough to wear, maybe, but worth half or less than a factory watch.
NOTE... not all original P2 modules have the light sensor to the right of the display. A small number have the sensor placed horizontally under the display; the circuit board is also larger, and has [except for the position of the clock chip and readout] a totally different component layout. The circuit board is, in fact, identical to the one found in most known specimens of the Limited Edition [P1], although at least one is known to have the even later, smaller board with the vertical sensor on the right. Presumably, that one came in late during the recall, and simply had the latest available version board installed. So far, there are no such variations known in the P3 boards.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post24 Aug 2005, 10:00

So as a matter of interest, would a P2 with a less common module configuration be more valuble, or is it simply an interesting detail that a collector would appreciate?

I know some early quartz watches can be more desirable depending on which module is used. In particular, Girard Peregaux produced around 50,000 'elcron' quartz movements in the '350' family, which comprised the 351, 352, 353 and 354 models (ref: Peter Doensen book). Out of these, the 351 model seems to be rarer, and more collectable than the very common 352 version, despite the totally undiscernable difference between them ( http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&uswk&Girard-Perregaux_351 - 'remarks' section)

So there you go, a long question that only needs a short answer. I've kind of rambled on bit, sorry about that :oops:

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post24 Aug 2005, 11:01

The only P2 that *could* be considered more valuable is the older one Bruce spoke of. It's the first module that Time Computer made for the P2 and it was not used for very long. It also has very poor timing capabilities since the main trim capacitor is not present.

MJ

AlmightyTallest

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Aug 2005, 17:32

Thanks for the info guys I was looking at the wrong spot in the picture but understand what you were referring to. :)

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post05 Feb 2006, 15:11

this subject of changed displays was mentioned already a few times.
check this thread:
http://digital.superman.ws/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=979

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton