It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:03

Green pulsar display glass

• Author

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Green pulsar display glass

Post30 Sep 2005, 18:25

Is there a way to get these? I have sometimes seen the red glasses at ebay, but never a green one. I guess noone could sell a spare one, right? :?

And then my real question - in the unlikely case I can get such a green glass, how do I get the old one out?

I really dont want to break it - got several nicks on the sides (I know the edge can be polished off to make it look smooth again) and only a few very small scratches.

And I also need to get it out when I dont have a replacement glass, so I can at least polish the edges off.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Re: Green pulsar display glass

Post05 Oct 2005, 19:43

Really noone, not even a "forget it"? :)

Well would be cool if someone could at least assist with some tips how to get the glass off and on again. Come on, I know some of you guys do that several times a week. (looks at bruce) :D

ledwatch

Banned

Post05 Oct 2005, 20:18

Hi Fronz, pre-heat your oven to 200C then put the Pulsar in for exactly 4 minutes, now take it out and hold the bracelet with something heat proof, now push down on the glass from the inside with the handle of a wooden spoon, to avoid scratching it. It should push out, if it doesn't then try one more minute in the oven. Dont leave it in the oven too long or the seal inside the push buttons will melt and gum up your pusher inside. Try it on some old pulsar cases first to give you confidence, its easy.

h00hbt

Techie

Techie

Post05 Oct 2005, 21:24

ledwatch wrote:Hi Fronz, pre-heat your oven to 200C then put the Pulsar in for exactly 4 minutes, now take it out and hold the bracelet with something heat proof, now push down on the glass from the inside with the handle of a wooden spoon, to avoid scratching it. It should push out, if it doesn't then try one more minute in the oven. Dont leave it in the oven too long or the seal inside the push buttons will melt and gum up your pusher inside. Try it on some old pulsar cases first to give you confidence, its easy.

Thanx Leddie.

I have wonderd about this for a long time, and now i know!!

/H

dot matrix

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Post05 Oct 2005, 21:28

Will this work with a gold case?
LED watches are quiet and polite. No ticking, no tocking, no beeping, no buzzing; they will only tell you the time when you ask to see it and they will do so instantly with no attention-seeking animations. A more civilized watch for a more civilized age.

ledwatch

Banned

Post05 Oct 2005, 23:36

This works with all Pulsars. Omegas, Hamiltons, and any leds with a glass rather than plastic crystal. The science is that the metal expands and the hole gets bigger but the glass doesnt expand.....

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post08 Oct 2005, 13:47

Thanks for enlighting me. :D Think I will try that. :wink:

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post04 Feb 2006, 22:39

The glass is not pressed into the hole with force so it's not the metal which expands and allows us to remove the crystal. The heat melts the epoxy and voilla! Instead of an oven I hold a case 20cm above a gas cooker (with tonges) and after approx. 3 minutes I push out the crystal from the inside holding the case with an oven glove or a cloth. Far easier and even pressure is applied to the crystal from the inside.
This idea is as old as Earth and was mentioned already in 1999 on Zackarias Holtelius' website 12:08. Perhaps somebody still remembers this Swedish guy? Today his website is called oldpulsars.com and is maintained by the new owner from the US.

embelton

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post04 Feb 2006, 23:30

Holtelius has become some kind of a (led-)myth...where did he go?
I?m losing my edge!

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post05 Feb 2006, 01:18

He got married and became a father thus no longer had spare time to maintain his website. On the other hand he is a designer and that was the reason why he got interested in Pulsars in the first place (not the led watch as itself). I remember sending him a Pulsar tshirt for Xmas a few years back but haven't heard from him for a long time now. Even his eBay account shows no activity. This way or another he will always be remembered :)

Return to Pulsar and Hamilton