Replacement Crystals (Timescreens)

• Author

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: Replacement Crystals (Timescreens)

Post17 Aug 2006, 15:22

gjlelec wrote:Whats left of the originality on a Synchronar after you've got it to work
A: The only realistically replaceable parts on a Synchronar are the batteries and (maybe) after you dig thru the "gel", the quartz crystal(oscillator). So somewhere around 99.5% of the functional and 100% of the seen parts would still be original.
I'm under the assumption that we will run out of working modules long before we run out of good-better cases and crystals; albiet, distribution of the survivors is a bitch.

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post17 Aug 2006, 18:23

For what its worth, Richard_UK did offfer/consider offering a Synchronar replacement service, using regular (non side view) modules, adapted by him, to fit the Synchronar case. The results looked good. Info is on another DWF thread.

I tend to sympathise with gjlelec. There is surely a difference between producing a replacement LED crystal to fit an OMEGA watch, than a more common Omega crystal, and although it might be considered counterfieting, gjlelec's crystal neither lowers the brand value, or takes market share from Omega, as they don't supply LED/LED parts any more?

I think, because an LED crystal is both the crystal and watch face, getting an authentic looking replacement, including logo, is far more important for LED's than regular watches. Replacing a mechanical watch crystal with a non original part is less obvious, as the watch face is the major feature. I would sure consider getting a replacement crystal like gjlelec, if I had the need to do so, provided it did look genuine, and I would also have no problem saying it was a replacement.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Aug 2006, 19:23

If Dragonfly2 project regarding replacement modules for various models, omega . pulsar and Synchronar models bears fruition, i'm willing to bet not many Synchronar owners wouldn't fit one, the choices:-
original Synchronar,not working, in the back of a drawer

non original but can be used for it's intended purpose
As you correctly state ED, you'll be out of modules long before cases

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post17 Aug 2006, 19:24

Gentlemen: despite raising the sole dissenting voice on whether this should be done, I've came around to thinking that IF someone can make one that is good enought to really pass the scrutiny of a purist type of collector, then at that point my concerns over shoddy knock-offs is a mute one. Al(T-bird) has my vote of confidence...he will do his best to make a quality product. :wink:

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post17 Aug 2006, 19:37

gjlelec wrote:As you correctly state ED, you'll be out of modules long before cases
Not at the rate I keep fixing them..... I do troll a few other places than ebay, both online and off. I am constantly amazed at how durable the little guys really are.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Aug 2006, 19:49

DEBATE IS GREAT- If we all agreed ,we'd have a fan club not a forum. :D
Regarding your take on originality Little1up, whether you change parts that can or can't be seen you affect the originality. I've never attempted to (nor probably ever will) pull apart a Synchronar but it has batteries, timescreen, reed switches, bracelet, quartz oscillator- all parts that could be replaced with non original components- its not 99.5% original then. As you are well aware, the nearest thing we have to "the creator" of Synchronars -Howard Rhiel believes once you've broken the seal, the thing is non original, everybodys take on what is acceptable is different

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Aug 2006, 19:55

Why don,t you do a step by step guide to repairing them in the synchronar section,with a couple of pics, that would be of great interest. I thought 95% of the remaining were write offs due to the corrosion problems and damaged caused on opening

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post17 Aug 2006, 20:18

gjlelec wrote:I've never attempted to (nor probably ever will) pull apart a Synchronar but it has batteries, timescreen, reed switches, bracelet, quartz oscillator- all parts that could be replaced with non original components- its not 99.5% original then.

Timescreen(external) is part of case...good luck on molding a new one. Internal(LEDS) - most people can't even fix the bone dry ones that are easy to get to..and you think .001 diamter wires can be fixed thru a bed of snot!?
Reed switches and quartz - replaceable, but they are only comprise about .2% of the total electrical components...an IC is only a minuturization of known components...this particular one(which can not be taken off the board) contains a few thousand discrete componenets. My percentage still is close to reality.
Bracelet - has to be an exact fix,width and thickness, since it holds the module in....good luck on that one.
Finally, you are talking theoretically it wouldn't be 99.5% original - however, since nobody claims to have done ANYTHING other than change batteries on a Synchronar, post-factory,, this is little more than speculation.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post17 Aug 2006, 20:26

gjlelec wrote:Why don,t you do a step by step guide to repairing them in the synchronar section,with a couple of pics, that would be of great interest. I thought 95% of the remaining were write offs due to the corrosion problems and damaged caused on opening

A. You will have to spend your own time and money if you want some knowledge on that one.....the "looky-looky" men of this world will have to look for easier prey.
B.I have promised Howard I will RESPECT his efforts on trying to get something going there down in FLorida and not rush in just to make a buck - I do not subscribe to the "greed is good" ethos.
C. I would appreciate a step-by-step guide that describes your vast experience at fixing Omegas.
:P

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Aug 2006, 20:42

My ignorance as to what makes up a Synchronar maybe shining through here but my point was some people are more hung up on originality than others, its a personal choice, you can't inflict it on somebody else. My own take on it is if you do something to a watch to make it work when it wasn't working or fit a new component that improves its appearance then if that has to happen at the expense of originality- so be it. Al wasn't claiming that the crystal was "to Omega spec" and considering NO-ONE else is providing an alternative, i believe to fit a reprinted crystal of that quality is an acceptable improvement. Taking into consideration that the ruby timescreen is original Omega, i would consider the watch more original than the "99.5%" Synchronar with new batteries. The Synchronar has had a heart transplant, the Omega only contact lenses :D

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Aug 2006, 20:54

Unfortunately i'm not very good at fixing Omegas, you've got to know your limitations, i'm only good at paying other, more learned people to fix them. If you post your step by step repair guide for Synchronars, i will be happy to post my pics on how to get solder all over the IC, pictures of my burnt hands after trying to remove a timescreen from the oven, and me throwing modules away after i've "fixed" them (for ever) :D

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post18 Aug 2006, 21:18

I have suggested to Al that a small stylized mark etched into the screen(so it can't be removed)might be a very honest way to notify the consumer that the have a quality,replacement part. IMO, the battery analogy is weak at best...since batteries are generally not considered "part" of the watch per se, any more than the hand that winds an analogue is part of it. I'm thinking that the ruby glass crystal is the second most important appearance feature of an LED, whether it works or not - I'm thinking that it is dishonest to give an appearance of one thing, when it is something else. No matter how obsessive a collector you are, your watch collection will be sold off one day, whether by you when down on your luck, your widow, your children, or a thief that breaks in - and either way, what is being sold will not be what the consumer thinks they are getting(if you were have your way). I understand - that is not your concern - but it is mine because I don't have a nihlist mindset. I fully agree that your opinions or moral standards cannot be imposed upon me or others of a simular mindset - and vis-a-vis.
Various people show up here with equally varied agendas and belief systems....we tend to kill the joy for each other. :?

Question: IF the glass is original Omega, and it works just fine, then why DO you want the name on there?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Aug 2006, 23:07

You raise an interesting point regarding the Omega name, i could say i want the name because it was originally on the crystal but thats not strictly true as the very early tcs only had the logo. I think it may actually be a snobbery thing, people normally associate the name with quality, its what sets those watches apart from run of the mill 70s fodder and its probably why i'm not attracted to the Pulsars even though quality wise they're the same. As much as i hate to admit it ,that could be why :!: I'm secretly Hiacynthe Bucket-(UK joke only) Regarding the non-original crystals, the thought of defrauding someone (eventually) hadn't entered my head for the simple reason i don't forsee me selling any of them. You are right that potentially i could be on the bone of my arse tomorrow and have to sell the lot but thats a cynical outlook. I would have to decide whether to tell potential buyers that a watch has a non-original logo. Since i only have the one (and now Al wants that back to improve it) i aint going to lose any sleep over it :D

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post19 Aug 2006, 01:16

The real dilemna will come if Ale makes Tiffany and Co and Neiman Marcus printq for Pulsar.
It will double or triple the value of the watch as reprinting Omega don't bring so much.

One day we won't be able to tell if it's original or not.
But wouldn't it be great to have your rare timescreen reprinted?
The eye of the master,
Does more than bote his hands.

L'oeil du ma?tre
Fait mieux que ses deux mains.

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post19 Aug 2006, 14:46

I don't know why but for some annoying reason Omega didn't use serial nos on their watches, i don't know if its the same with Pulsar but if someone retro fitted a re-printed Tiffany crystal to a non tiffany supplied Pulsar is there a way of proving/ disproving the originality of the watch via a serial number :?:
Previous

Return to Omega and GP