It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:48

omega pusher

• Author

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

omega pusher

Post28 Apr 2007, 19:22

i know this may be considered a strange question but after the pusher has been removed (unsoldered) from a TC case you are left with a magnet wrapped in gold (or s/steel) Can anyone advise if it is possible to remove the magnet from the gold envelope without damaging either the magnet or gold :?:

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

re: omega pusher

Post09 May 2007, 08:13

i am going to hazard a guess and say no. It seems that it is rold gold onto the magnet; i.e. they use heat and extreme pressure to bond the gold cap onto the magnet.

If one needed a better magnet i would hold the pusher in a vise and drill the magnet out. then replace it with a rare earth button magnet of the same size as the drilled hole.

Cheers, Geoff

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

re: omega pusher

Post09 May 2007, 15:10

Alternate idea: pull the button out of an early one or two button Hamilton. The buttons are the same(same company), they just appear different because the Hamilton has a curved case side, Omega is straight. Good luck on heating the button and digging it out....but you can try it safely using a soldering iron or even a small torch(butane pencil torch is great for this work), since gold has a much higher melting point than solder. I have a bunch of those cases with virtually useless glass, pm me and I can send you one. :)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Return to Omega and GP