It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:36

Wanted - Omega TC1 case

• Author

stevehead

Wanted - Omega TC1 case

Post15 Mar 2008, 14:14

My Omega TC1 case is damaged beyond repair. It underwent some professional 'refinishing' that left it looking like it melted wax so it's a gonner.

Has anyone got a case they'll let go - preferably tatty?

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

: Wanted - Omega TC1 case

Post18 Mar 2008, 12:59

hey, I'm just curious how a professionally restored case looks like?
can you post a picture? :)
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

stevehead

Re: : Wanted - Omega TC1 case

Post18 Mar 2008, 21:57

azimuth_pl wrote:hey, I'm just curious how a professionally restored case looks like?
can you post a picture? :)

Sure...
This was a WG TC1 in poor condition.
It was gold/nickel stripped, then sent off for a process called Vaquablasting along with the strap & clasp.
On the SS material, Vaquablasting gave a beautiful satin finish. However, with the soft cheese that the case is made from it caused the metal to flow as if liquefied.

The case would have gone off for satin chrome plating if the Vaquablasting had been successful.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post18 Mar 2008, 22:20

thanks, I somehow get the idea, but does this mean that you stripped the case of 80 microns goldfill?
I guess this might be repairable by filing down that blob?
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

stevehead

Post18 Mar 2008, 22:35

azimuth_pl wrote:thanks, I somehow get the idea, but does this mean that you stripped the case of 80 microns goldfill?
I guess this might be repairable by filing down that blob?

Oh yes - got rid of the (white) gold, then the nickel.
What remains is another 200 or so micron fill of a Pewter like soft white metal, but under this is the Brass case - but made of separate blocks.
I think the case is made of 5 Brass parts, placed in a mould then this soft white metal poured in to create the entire case.
Repairs have been attempted using lead, silver, brass etc but to no avail.
Filing the blob just started peeling the fill from the brass.
No-Go.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post18 Mar 2008, 22:44

super interesting, especially that the case is made of blocks.
we've never had a zombie Omega case on this forum so perhaps you would be eager to strip it completely (as there is no hope for it) and show some pictures.
I always thought that the base is steel, at least that was the rumour.

the same should apply to Pulsar and Hamilton cases made by the same Star Watch Case Company.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post19 Mar 2008, 00:09

Sounds like they may have"sintered" the filler materieal - you heat a metal powder until the pieces stick together but don't melt. Why they would have bothered is certainly a mystery. The five pieces are the 4 lugs and the main case body? Was this a white gold TC? The Pulsar yellow gold-filled seem to be solid brass(I have chopped a few open, I'm wondering if this is related to the white gold process.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post19 Mar 2008, 00:31

Interesting you mention Vaquablasting, I maintain the Vaquablast blasting equipment at work which is basically just a glorified shot blaster, but by using different media aluminium oxide, micro glass bead, walnut shell and plastic to name a few various surface finishes can be obtained which gives the perfect surface for electroplating once its cleaned.

They have made one hell of a mess of that case of yours it looks like its been blasted with half bricks I know for a fact that the soft media and glass gives a super flat matt finish on metals such as aluminium and brass.

“Professional refinishing” I would strongly debate that... :shock:

stevehead

Post19 Mar 2008, 15:48

Klippie wrote:Interesting you mention Vaquablasting, I maintain the Vaquablast blasting equipment at work which is basically just a glorified shot blaster, but by using different media aluminium oxide, micro glass bead, walnut shell and plastic to name a few various surface finishes can be obtained which gives the perfect surface for electroplating once its cleaned.

They have made one hell of a mess of that case of yours it looks like its been blasted with half bricks I know for a fact that the soft media and glass gives a super flat matt finish on metals such as aluminium and brass.

“Professional refinishing” I would strongly debate that... :shock:

Blasted with bricks LOL!

It was professional in as much as I used a company with a good track record and I had to pay(but I didn't). Their service was good to the point that I received the returned watch - then they denied that they caused the problem 'cos it was (allegedly) fine when it left them.
So... the Royal Mail must have given it a bit of abuse on the way back to me in the post eh?
These were the guys who did the work:
http://www.pmdgroup.co.uk

I don't feel inclined to try and remove completely the remaining fill to get back to the case proper - mainly because the metal in unidentified so I don't know what stripping process to send it through. I can only do gold / chrome / nickel.

Led-Time

Guru

Guru

Post19 Mar 2008, 19:55

It looks as if its melted, there can be a lot of localised heat build up when blasting components with certain media imagine the friction on the edges of the case from millions of impacts the heat would be instant and probably caused the damage you see.

Its a real shame, I hope you find a replacement...

stevehead

Re: Wanted - Omega TC1 case

Post25 Oct 2013, 11:26

Hello All,

Well it took a long time and it has been on a long journey, but I finally finished 'Pimp my LED' - a Thread from long ago.
It is the same case, rebuilt by Peter Wuischpard (the Son of the original designer).

Edit...
I've dumped Imageshack, here's the direct links instead
http://www.connect-u.co.uk/led/tc1rebooted/Satin_TC1-1.jpg
http://www.connect-u.co.uk/led/tc1rebooted/Satin_TC1-2.jpg
http://www.connect-u.co.uk/led/tc1rebooted/Satin_TC1-3.jpg
http://www.connect-u.co.uk/led/tc1rebooted/Satin_TC1-4.jpg
http://www.connect-u.co.uk/led/tc1rebooted/Satin_TC1-5.jpg
http://www.connect-u.co.uk/led/tc1rebooted/Satin_TC1-6.jpg
Last edited by stevehead on 26 Oct 2013, 14:40, edited 2 times in total.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post25 Oct 2013, 12:37

Very nice pimped Omega :)

KARNAK

Techie

Techie

Post25 Oct 2013, 14:07

Hi Piotr,

Sorry to bother you but I just cannot find your email address, can you please send me an email at tuscon16@aol.com I have had maajor problems with my computer and seem to have lost all my email addresses. I would really appreciate it.

Hope you are well,
Kindest regards,
John D (KARNAK)

stevehead

Post25 Oct 2013, 23:42

azimuth_pl wrote:Very nice pimped Omega :)

Why thank you Piotr, [without whom I'd just have a carcase)
And gratitudes have to go to my fellow LED aficionados:
LipsonRd (George) - Button Magnet
T-Bird - Baked on the Logo for me. [looks like the font from the later Constellation]

And there is a proper Swiss Omega Movement inside, not one of those inferior American Modules.

Regards,
Steve

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post26 Oct 2013, 09:24

Very nice restoration, by the sounds of it most people had written it off! 8-)

Here it is for all to see.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to Omega and GP