It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:08

Interesting Omega cal 1603

• Author

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Interesting Omega cal 1603

Post28 Nov 2015, 12:15

I spotted this on ebay, very interesting cal 1603, sold by those lucky gits in Australia that get NOS leftovers direct from Omega. It appears to be a 1603 that was being prepared for a module other than the standard Frontier unit it ended up with. The centre adjust pusher looks like its been drilled, lowered and refilled. I'm guessing this is before 1603 production as it has a bracelet from the 70s Megasonic model. Sold for less than £200, prob worth that for the NOS bracelet and crystal alone.( If only watches could talk. And wimmin could shut the f#'#k up ) Anyone on here bag it ??

seikoric

Geek

Geek

Re: Interesting Omega cal 1603

Post05 Jun 2016, 07:13

I'm so glad you posted these photos - I didn't win the auction at that time but the winner just listed it and I won it a few days back, I was just putting the case back on and then I checked the crystal and was sure I had made a scratch on it, however thanks to these photos I can see It was already there (above the E) so I am relieved that it wasn't me who made it

Anyway, I didn't realise the bracelet was not for this watch, I spoke to Marcus at Watchco (the seller) and he gave me some background on this watch -

"The case you have was purchased by U.S. About 15 years ago as part of a collection of Omega cases and dials that seem to have been made for the prototype department at omega. They were mostly chronograph and speedmaster related items but there were a few unusual case like yours.
Somehow you case got put to the back of a cabinet and forgotten about.

I don't know exactly where they came from but my guess is a defunct case maker. There would have been cases made for omega to see what the watch would look like once it came off the design board. The case would have been made. Often by hand and given to Omega. Omega would then send it back and say they needed this or that modification."

Anyway now I need a module for it!

Cheers, Richard

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post06 Jun 2016, 09:52

The module is easy. Take a Standard Omega 1603 or Hamilton or SASM52 and prepare a 3rd contact at 1 o clock. That´s it!

Hanno.

seikoric

Geek

Geek

Post06 Jun 2016, 20:02

SASM wrote:The module is easy. Take a Standard Omega 1603 or Hamilton or SASM52 and prepare a 3rd contact at 1 o clock. That´s it!

Hanno.

Sounds fairly straight forward,

Cheers! R

Return to Omega and GP