It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:54

Vote required ! yes or no.....

Is the Omega TC1/2 worth the premium over its American cousins?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes : 14

• Author

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Vote required ! yes or no.....

Post26 Mar 2016, 17:49

Is the Omega TC1/2 worth the large premium over its American cousins and why :?:
Last edited by holly35 on 27 Mar 2016, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: Vote required ! yes or no.....

Post26 Mar 2016, 20:44

Short answer...yes. Manufactured in a tenth the quantity, construction equal or better, more respected brand name (Omega has been around for a hundred years; Time Computer lasted less than six).

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Mar 2016, 15:17

Not sure if you can compare Time Computer and Omega as companies. Time Computer solely made digital watches, farmed off from Hamilton. If Omega had set up a seperate off shoot solely for digital production, surely that company would have gone the same way. I've always thought it massively unfair how omega were able to use their financial might to muscle their way into the led market albeit the European side. Time Computer spent the development money, everyone jumped on their shirt tails. Look at the various solid gold Pulsar models produced, Omega produced one and in tiny quantities.Time Computer believed leds were the future, Omega were just scared in case they were right
I remember reading somewhere the inter company set ups and how Omega bought their way in.Very interesting and bloody complicated.

abem

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post27 Mar 2016, 17:17

John,

An interesting question. I think it depends upon how highly you value scarcity and branding or if you are smitten by the blingy chunky styling.

From a quality and construction point of view, there is nothing special about the TC-1/TC-2 over an equivalent Hamilton or Pulsar. As you know, they were built by the same companies in the same factories and to the same specs - modules by Time Computer, bracelets by Champion, cases by Star Watch Case, all in Lancaster, PA. The GF cases are all 80 micron, the bracelets are identical between the TC-1/TC-2 and Hamilton QED except for a groove down the center of each link on the Hamiltons. A Hamilton QED and a TC-1 feel pretty similar on the wrist.

From design perspective, I still prefer the more elegant lines of the Hamiltons and the more futuristic styling of the Pulsar models. For a while I wore a TC-1 and I currently have a TC-2. The Omega models are fun to wear once in a while if you like chunky, blingy watches. They sit a bit higher on the wrist and feel a bit like wearing a little gold block strapped to your wrist. However, they lack the grace and elegance of either the Pulsar or Hamilton models in my opinion and it feels like the designers phoned it in on the Omegas.

However, they are iconic as Omega's first digitals and they are blingy and chunky if you like that sort of thing. It's easy to become smitten by a watch for lesser and more ridiculous reasons, so I imagine that they will be worth it for some. I still sort of covet the white GF TC models. :-)

I voted 'no' but I can imagine someone voting 'yes'. I don't think any of us would claim that this obsession we share is logical.

-abe.

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post27 Mar 2016, 18:15

hmm,its getting interesting however more votes would be needed to gauge a better idea.However i did see a TC1 a while back "in the flesh" and was struck by its looks and clean design.......

holly35

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post08 May 2016, 08:57

To follow this post up, since ive now been able to handle both , i can now understand why the Omega is considerably more expensive ;-)

Caruso

Wizard

Wizard

Post07 Nov 2016, 00:30

Omega is a better recognised brand these days, so that's where a lot of the perceived value is.
Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/danhay1137

Return to Omega and GP