It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 16:46

Synchronar batteries

• Author

corona with lime

Nerd

Nerd

Synchronar batteries

Post15 Feb 2007, 03:27

Sine I now NOTHING about Synchronar's I'm a bit afraid of commiting come kind of socially unacceptable error here so please give me a little slack.

Where would one go about looking for a rechargeable battery to replace the originals and what would be the specifications of such?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Synchronar Batteries

Post15 Feb 2007, 15:03

[EDIT - based on additional info. from Howard Riehl]The original batteries used1974-2002 were Varta(brand) 50 ma Ni cads.Also Yuasa(Japanese) made Nicad batteries were used. The nominal voltage is 2.4 volts total....1.2 volts from each cell. From 2003 forward Varta 80 were used, 80ma. The Varta V80 and V80H(high temp) are NIMH also rated at 1.2 volts per cell.

www.mouser.com,among other has a big assortment of batteries that would work and fit. :idea: order something and they will send their cataloge, which is a lot easier to navigate than their site. :lol:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

dot matrix

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

: Synchronar batteries

Post20 Jan 2010, 08:39

I have a pair of 60SS-WT ni-cad button cells w/ tabs. There is no mh or voltage markings on them. Anyone know off-hand whether these batteries would suffice? This is for use in what I assume is a Mark I module since it has a third slider switch in the rear. (I know that the Mark III has no third slider, I don't know whether or not the Mark II does.)

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post20 Jan 2010, 21:23

If the size is ok then the capacity (mAh) will also be near to correct value. Could be 60mAh according to their name.
Capacity (mAh) isn't critical, that is, even 40mAh or 100mAh would work. Of course it influences charging and running time (both are about proportional to capacity). If capacity is very low they might get overcharged if exposed to bright sunlight for prolonged periods. If it is too high it might take very long to recharge once it's totally discharged.

The voltage of NiCd or NiMH is always 1.2V per cell, so no worries here either.

Main consideration is QUALITY: will they leak in a few years? Not all cells like "trickle charging".

Bottomline: any NiCd or NiMH that is about the original size will work (saying this without ever having held a Synchronar in my hands...).

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post21 Jan 2010, 05:43

i have a mkII in a black ceramic top that has been running for over 1.5 yrs on a pair of varta v40's. i have never had it shut down for lack of power.
on another note, i have some more synch boards and parts on the way. hopefully i can get a few more running. i may be calling you, jeff. :-) peter

Return to Synchronar