Month Setting on a MkI

• Author

charger105

Guru

Guru

Month Setting on a MkI

Post06 Oct 2008, 12:24

Hi All.
Does anyone know how to set the month on a MkI ?
I resurrected my black Synchronar with a new display and new batteries. See here for history:
http://dwf.nu/viewtopic.php?t=2842

However, I cannot figure out how to set the month. I've tried all combinations of the reed switches. Curiously, this is the only thing in the manual that it doesn't tell you to do. Perhaps you were never supposed to have the need to make such a change ?

The only thing I can do at the moment is set the day to the last day of the month, set the time for 23:59 and then wait a minute for the new month to click over.

Any help appreciated.
Rgds,
Andrew.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

: Month Setting on a MkI

Post06 Oct 2008, 22:36

the way i do it is set to the last day of the month and let the watch run thru midnight and it changes to the next mo. i repeat this process until i get it to feb. then set to feb 28 and hope it sets to feb 29 the next day. then you know it is in the leap year, which is this year. otherwise you need to keep doing this until you get to the leap year. there is now way i know of to set the month otherwise. i am doing this on a mkI/II module that i resurrected as we speak. the way you are doing it will work, but i don't feel like resetting the time as well. it is inconvenient enough setting the date to the end of the month. peter

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post12 Oct 2008, 01:40

andrew, i got some instructions from howard on the mkI. these are for a four reed switch module. to set hours,turn on and hold time slider,slide rear setting magnet to the right hand side of display or to the left if looking straight at it and return to center for each hr. [letting the setting magnet return past center can accidently change the day of the month] to change minutes: turn on and hold time slider. turn on the seconds slider. [you will not see the display lite up]. slide the rear magnet to the left in the same manner as for hrs. when you get to the upcoming minute hold the rear magnet to the left and do not let go until the moment you want seconds to start at :00. month DOM and leap yr are done in the same fashion. all this has to be done in a continuous sequence. you cannot skip a step. now to my news. you suggested i replace the parts missing on my dot matrix pc board. i did that. new qc, sc, trimmer cap. 2xv80 cells, a little time under a 100 watt bulb and viola', it works perfectly. i have a new red top and the old synchronar I red back and am thrilled. thank you for your encouragement and suggestions. i was ready to toss the whole thing in the trash as a hopeless case. peter p/s to clarify the setting instructions: when setting the month date and leap year the date slider on the right is used in combo with the seconds slider. again this is for the four reed switches modules.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post12 Oct 2008, 05:27

Well done Peter.
I'm pleased you had success.

I think the important part of the setting procedure may be:

"all this has to be done in a continuous sequence. you cannot skip a step"

I'll give this a try.
Rgds,
Andrew.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post13 Oct 2008, 14:08

Just for the record, I should say that this procedure isn't applicable for the 6 reed switch version. I still haven't found an easy way of setting the month/leap year on this model............

Rgds.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post23 Oct 2008, 04:46

hi andrew, yuuuup, it is a slow process to set the month/leapyear on a 6 reed module. i am still at it. peter

Return to Synchronar