Alternative to original Solar cell.

• Author

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Alternative to original Solar cell.

Post30 Oct 2008, 17:48

Hello all,

I'm just curious, but we all know that the parts for these watches are getting harder and harder to come by and eventually the supply will be exhausted. Has anybody thought of using alternatives to the original solar cell? Something like this:

The wireless electronics series offers a new opportunity to solve the old problem of limited power for wireless electronics in portable and remote applications. These modules are lightweight, paper thin, and durable. With their ultra-film profile, they are easily integrated with devices for solar recharging or direct powering. Specifically developed to recharge AA, AAA, plus 6 and 12 volt batteries.

Size: 2.5"L x 1.5"W
Output voltage: 3.0V@22mA

Apparently you can cut this down to fit whatever size you need. Could this be something useable or am I just talking crazy talk? Thoughts?

rewolf

Guru

Guru

: Alternative to original Solar cell.

Post30 Oct 2008, 19:07

Does the manufacturer say they can be cut down? Normally this is not possible because one would cut off the connection pads. Besides that, solar cells are either on a galss substrate (brown amorphous cells) or are made of silicon (blue cells). Both are very difficult to cut.

The pictured cells look like made of 5 cells in series connection. The "E"s connect the bottom of the cell to their left with the top of the cell they overlap.
It could be possible to cut e.g. the right fifth off in a way that the "E" becomes an "I", and then solder to the "I". Of course you'd lose 20% of the output voltage.

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : Alternative to original Solar cell.

Post30 Oct 2008, 19:48

rewolf wrote:Does the manufacturer say they can be cut down? Normally this is not possible because one would cut off the connection pads. Besides that, solar cells are either on a galss substrate (brown amorphous cells) or are made of silicon (blue cells). Both are very difficult to cut.

The pictured cells look like made of 5 cells in series connection. The "E"s connect the bottom of the cell to their left with the top of the cell they overlap.
It could be possible to cut e.g. the right fifth off in a way that the "E" becomes an "I", and then solder to the "I". Of course you'd lose 20% of the output voltage.

I think this is the site I was reading last night that said it could be cut:
www.4lots.com/solarmodulethinflexibleso ... t22ma.aspx

I can't seem to get it to load here at work though. Has anybody thought of getting the Solar cells remade? This site can custom make cells but the minimum order is 500:

http://www.oksolar.com/pv/cells.htm

We can design all kinds of the solar products non-standard sizes and shapes of Solar Cells and modules, including bi-facial Solar Cells, non-framed and mini PV Modules, non-square shape Modules. for our clients and OEM orders are welcome Quantities 500
Contact Us whit the following OEM information.

Solar Cell Type: mono crystal/poly crystal
Rated Power (Wp):
Charging Voltage:
Rated Current (Imp):
Rated Voltage (Vmp):
Short Circuit Current (Isc):
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc):
Dimensions (mm):
Dimensions (inch):

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Oct 2008, 20:15

A quick google search found this panel, but I think the amps are too low:

3VDC 4ma Micro solar panel
http://www.quality-deal.com/osCommerce/ ... ucts_id=43

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post30 Oct 2008, 21:56

Sully008 wrote:I think this is the site I was reading last night that said it could be cut:
Paper thin and flexible - interesting. They don't write anything about cutting, though - and 64mm x 37mm is a bit too large.

The Micro Solar Panel looks small, but the exact size isn't specified. 4mA is enough to charge a 40mAh battery in 12~14hrs. But you will get the 4mA only with an uncovered cell in direct sunlight. It's possible to connect cells in parallel to get more mA (or in series to get more V).

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Post30 Oct 2008, 23:19

rewolf wrote:
Sully008 wrote:I think this is the site I was reading last night that said it could be cut:
Paper thin and flexible - interesting. They don't write anything about cutting, though - and 64mm x 37mm is a bit too large.

The Micro Solar Panel looks small, but the exact size isn't specified. 4mA is enough to charge a 40mAh battery in 12~14hrs. But you will get the 4mA only with an uncovered cell in direct sunlight. It's possible to connect cells in parallel to get more mA (or in series to get more V).

I'll see if I can dig up that site that said you could cut them down. I measured the original SC on my Sunwatch and it just under 1"x1". The micro cell looks alot smaller than that.

Synchroserious

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Nov 2008, 04:10

There is no need to fix something that is not broke or ever a failure mechanisim in the watch.I have several of the Solar cells Brand New.Then plenty more used ones to salvage when that supply is gone.The only thing is a larger 30 awg tin plated copper wire must be installed.Two in front and one in back.They come new with tiny breakable wires that can fall off just from shipping like one member here encountered.
Membership status is unknown due to lack of communication.

Snetzka

Wizard

Wizard

Post03 Aug 2009, 01:25

Resurrecting an old thread... Did any one ever source a replacement..?? I am in the market for a (working) solar cell to fit a Mk3/4 - Does anybody have one lying around they would like to sell me..???

If you do, chuck me a PM... and maybe i can clear a bit more space in my workshop... :lol:

Thanks... Mike..

your_man_in_Hamburg

Techie

Techie

Some other solar cell candidates, perhaps.

Post24 Dec 2009, 23:11

What about these:
http://www.ixys.com/Product_portfolio/p ... x%3Fi%3D77
or, if you would like something that might survive a rescue from a potted watch case:
http://www.ixys.com/Product_portfolio/p ... x%3Fi%3D78

I have no idea how they fit with the battery voltage, but thought you'd like the links anyway.
I could really use some solar cell charger education myself...

Yours

Johannes

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post26 Dec 2009, 19:21

As for the Synchronar, you need about 3.0V open circuit voltage, i.e. 5 or 6 cells conncted in series.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post27 Dec 2009, 01:30

:-D

Return to Synchronar