It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 20:21

So is Howard just gone?

• Author

snewell

So is Howard just gone?

Post09 Jan 2010, 04:10

I've looked through recent posts and there doesn't seem to be any info on his current whereabouts. His ebay user status is pretty much dead as well. I guess all that signals the end of all of this? No more new Synchronars, no more hope of ever getting the ones we paid for so long ago... :cry:
Is there anyone here who believes there is any reason to assume he will resurface or that the Synchronar name will resurface under new ownership?

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: So is Howard just gone?

Post09 Jan 2010, 07:45

snewell wrote:I've looked through recent posts and there doesn't seem to be any info on his current whereabouts. His ebay user status is pretty much dead as well. I guess all that signals the end of all of this? No more new Synchronars, no more hope of ever getting the ones we paid for so long ago... :cry:
Is there anyone here who believes there is any reason to assume he will resurface or that the Synchronar name will resurface under new ownership?

Few opportunities for him to get more money from people for watches he will never deliver if he can't be found - you're safe now.

Hey, they are making NEW DeLoreans again, it could happen. :-?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post09 Jan 2010, 16:10

retroleds wrote:...Hey, they are making NEW DeLoreans again, it could happen. :-?

Really? I always believed this was just rumors.
Just searched the net an found http://www.newdelorean.com/. IMHO this "New DeLorean (Solstice/Sky/Opel GT)" has nothing to do with the original idea.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

: So is Howard just gone?

Post09 Jan 2010, 19:24

:-D
Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post09 Jan 2010, 23:01

rewolf wrote:
retroleds wrote:...Hey, they are making NEW DeLoreans again, it could happen. :-?

Just searched the net an found http://www.newdelorean.com/. IMHO this "New DeLorean (Solstice/Sky/Opel GT)" has nothing to do with the original idea.

And a new Synchronar would probably only be similar to Roger Reihl's designs in a superficial fashion. IMHO the Chinese could make something more dependable(with easily replacable batteries) for less than $70 retail. But it wouldn't have the funky, collectible cache of the originals.

Understand, I don't enjoy having to cut the guy off from a good source(this forum) of business contacts, but I can't assist him in bilking our members either. Barry would be welcome to offer parts via the "Digital Marketplace" area here - he was always polite and punctual on every transaction and phone conversation I had with him. And apparently he hasn't screwed over a single purchaser. 8-)

I agree with Jeff that the accumulated knowledge of our members greatly surpasses anything Howard could offer up. With no drama, bitter commentary or bogus sales to deal with.

It's taken three years and the permanent exit of[only] four highly contentious individuals to get to the peaceful, [relatively]drama-free place you guys make this. I thank you all for the good behavior and helpfullness you have been showing your fellow collectors. It is really nice when I don't check in for a few days and you "kids" aren't throwing a wild party or having a fist fight. Thanks and Happy New Year. XO :oops:
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post10 Jan 2010, 00:17

to howard's credit i did finally get everything that i paid for. i am not sure about others on the forum. FWIW i bid and won the mkI/II parts on barry's last auction. i have not gotten the shipment yet, but it has only been 1 week since the auction. hoping for better treatment on this one. i don't know what i will do with these parts as they lack the sliders, magnets, red tops, sc's to completely finish a module, but as jeff says i will have some bones to play with. :-). i have not heard from howard since last oct. peter

BobS

Post11 Jan 2010, 00:46

retroleds wrote:
rewolf wrote:

And a new Synchronar would probably only be similar to Roger Reihl's designs in a superficial fashion. IMHO the Chinese could make something more dependable(with easily replacable batteries) for less than $70 retail. But it wouldn't have the funky, collectible cache of the originals.
:

He was probably referring to the DeLorean Motor Co.'s new DMC-12s assembled from NOS parts left over when the original company went broke in the 80s. http://www.delorean.com/index-5.html. They've got enough parts to assemble about 500 cars.

I don't think its that different from what Roger and Howard were doing in the later years, as I believe just about all the more recent Synchronars were built with good amounts of leftover NOS and refurbished components.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post11 Jan 2010, 01:37

BobS wrote:...He was probably referring to the DeLorean Motor Co.'s new DMC-12s assembled from NOS parts left over when the original company went broke in the 80s. http://www.delorean.com/index-5.html. They've got enough parts to assemble about 500 cars....
Interesting, I didn't know that, thanks for the information.

dot matrix

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Post12 Jan 2010, 19:22

The only way I was able to deal with the Synchronar fiasco was to basically tell Howard that I no longer wanted one. That wasn't quite true - I did want one, but the price was far too high. And I don't mean money.

I'm still sad that the watch Roger promised and made for me was sold by Howard to someone else - I would gladly have paid for it had I known it was available.

Watchismo and eBay don't seem to have any Synchronars listed any more, so I may someday see what I can put together from all the dead models I've still got sitting in my desk drawer.

For the record, I think the best thing that the Roger Riehl estate could have done for the watch would have been to license the brand to an established company experienced in manufacturing quality electronic watches, with part of the deal having been that the new Synchronar adhere to certain specs regarding quality, design, feature set, etc.

But at this point I don't know if the brand has any value left to it.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : So is Howard just gone?

Post13 Jan 2010, 17:53

Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.

dot matrix

Post16 Jan 2010, 18:34

J Thomas, that LED readout that the Synchronar in your avatar has doesn't look like an original - the digits look larger than standard. Did you build your own module or do some custom repair work?

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Post16 Jan 2010, 19:20

That's the Monsanto dot display. The digits are larger on those ones than the line segment ones. It is also possible to replace individual digits on them, instead of the whole display on the LS ones.

liquid crystal wrote:J Thomas, that LED readout that the Synchronar in your avatar has doesn't look like an original - the digits look larger than standard. Did you build your own module or do some custom repair work?

dot matrix

Post16 Jan 2010, 21:12

Sully008 wrote:That's the Monsanto dot display. The digits are larger on those ones than the line segment ones. It is also possible to replace individual digits on them, instead of the whole display on the LS ones.

Very cool. I have an old Mark I with a display like that, but never got as far as permanently installing the replacement batteries.

(alligator clip visible on the right)
Last edited by dot matrix on 18 Jan 2019, 21:11, edited 2 times in total.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post16 Jan 2010, 23:04

i have 2 with the dot display. IMHO that is the nicer one of the 2 styles. especially when your eyes get older. peter :-)

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Jan 2010, 00:25

Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.

Sully008

Wizard

Wizard

Post17 Jan 2010, 05:39

Hey Jeff,

Getting 4 workers out of the stuff that Barry sells is really impressive. I've never gotten that many workers out of one batch. How have you been testing the chip? Do you just assemble and hope that it works? I've got a ton of boards with chips still attached to them, but I don't know if they work until I put them together.

Mike
J Thomas wrote:
I've been able to assemble four tested and working modules with solar cells and batteries from the pile of goo so far. Two MK1's with the dot segment display, one MK2 with a dot segment display, and another MK2 with a line segment display.

In a push I might be able to scrape together one more MK2 with a dot segment display.

These were all *major* builds. I had to solder chips, transistors, assemble the displays, passive parts, etc. They were not cleanups and battery swaps like we've all been assisting with lately.

Regards, Jeff

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post19 Jan 2010, 17:24

J Thomas wrote:
liquid crystal wrote:J Thomas, that LED readout that the Synchronar in your avatar has doesn't look like an original - the digits look larger than standard. Did you build your own module or do some custom repair work?

Is this Guy? I can't tell since you don't sign your recent posts, and I may be too new here to recognize you.

Jeff: Guy Ball started www.ledwatches.net - this site was started by Tor Kinlok[I believe I spelled that correctly], "liquid crystal". I purchased both sites in late 2006. It is really nice to see Tor back...he probably needed to take a break from "Watch World".....I know the feeling. :lol:
Ed

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Jan 2010, 02:19

Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post20 Jan 2010, 02:27

Return to Synchronar