Sorry, Jeff can no longer do repairs on Synchronar's

• Author

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Sorry, Jeff can no longer do repairs on Synchronar's

Post22 Jul 2010, 21:18

:-D
Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

: Sorry, Jeff can no longer do repairs on Synchronar's

Post23 Jul 2010, 00:53

Complimentary repairs are nice, but not realistic....collecting watches is a want, not a need. You certainly have your own wants and needs. Money is a most practical commodity to exchange for your services.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post23 Jul 2010, 01:19

i agree. advice and suggestions can be freely given, but hands on work is just that. work. that involves using ones time, which is a saleable commodity, as well as ones knowledge and personal skills, which is also a saleable commodity. on the synchronars there is no source of new parts except the qc. repairing them is a crapshoot with the odds not in your favor. after having spent hours cleaning, tweeking, resoldering, etc., then to still have a dead module can be very discouraging. the only consolation in that case is you have enjoyed wasting your time. :-) even with payment for your efforts, you may still end up with a dead module. and an unhappy customer as well. i have spent my entire working life bringing antique timepieces back to life, and have thoroughly enjoyed it, but some things are best not even attempted. as someone on another forum says "i used to collect watches but it became too time consuming". :eek: :eek: peter

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post23 Jul 2010, 01:44

Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 06:24, edited 1 time in total.

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post23 Jul 2010, 10:06

The last time I performed complimentary repair work on another new member's Synchronar, it was sold on ebay shortly after receiving it back from me.

I don't blame you Jeff. What an insult !
Some people...........

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post23 Jul 2010, 12:54

The last time I performed complimentary repair work on another new member's Synchronar, it was sold on ebay shortly after receiving it back from me.

Some people just take the mess :evil:

Can't fault your actions but its a shame for one person to spoil it for everyone else.

LEDluvr

Guru

Guru

Post23 Jul 2010, 19:30

Can't fault your actions but its a shame for one person to spoil it for everyone else.

Absolutely - I couldn't agree more.
Jeff - your skills are in demand - nothing wrong with offering your services on pay basis.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Re: : Sorry, Jeff can no longer do repairs on Synchronar's

Post23 Jul 2010, 20:30

bucko170 wrote:Can't fault your actions but its a shame for one person to spoil it for everyone else.
Reminds me of this:

redcar66

Geek

Geek

Post24 Jul 2010, 20:37

:-(
Last edited by redcar66 on 24 Jul 2010, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post24 Jul 2010, 20:56

Kevin:
Don't give up on us(or even Jeff) - misunderstandings occur, people think they are seeing this, when really it is that. It's hard work dealing with the public and with people whom are separated by many miles, times zones, etc. Even if you HAD sold the watch, I figure that is your business. Which is why anyone using their time to do repairs has to limit the amount of altruistic, free work they do (ditto on suggestions/tips/advice) and charge for some of it. Otherwise you get drained dry and tossed aside like a kid's empty juice bag drink. :x And there is the human tendency to take ownership when we give of our selves, versus a business transaction where we understand it is "just business".
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

redcar66

Geek

Geek

Post24 Jul 2010, 21:13

Last edited by redcar66 on 24 Jul 2010, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post24 Jul 2010, 21:26

Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post24 Jul 2010, 21:44

J Thomas wrote:And Ed, I don't see his making excuses for having sold it as a defensible behavior.
Doesn't seem that "defensible behaviour" is being claimed. It sounds like Kevin is denying having sold it at all. :!:
I understand your disappointment if it was sold(could have been offered to you first, I suppose). Not trying to jerk your chain my friend - I'm on your side. :-) I assume every watch I work on will be sold eventually - if only because the person has got bored with it or wants to change their collection.

redcar66

Geek

Geek

Post24 Jul 2010, 21:50

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Jul 2010, 02:49

Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.

redcar66

Geek

Geek

Post25 Jul 2010, 04:30

M:)W:)M
Last edited by redcar66 on 18 Sep 2011, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post25 Jul 2010, 05:02

Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 06:26, edited 2 times in total.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post25 Jul 2010, 05:31

J Thomas wrote:Kept for posterity.
I like that....

Sorry I added nothing useful to this, other than providing the webspace for the interaction.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post26 Jul 2010, 22:06

nice story....I've been there myself and it hurts when you see your hard free work on somebody's "family heirloom" being sold for big bucks. I hate when that happens.

btw. I will be digging into my lot of Barry parts so I do hope that some free help from you guys will still be available 8-)
for some reason I have been storing my Synchronar parts for the last six years and it is still the only watch I have absolutely no idea about. I repair nearly any kind of watch so I feel weird about not being skilled in the Synchronar. it's time to take some action.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Post26 Jul 2010, 22:17

Last edited by J Thomas on 30 Mar 2011, 06:26, edited 2 times in total.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post26 Jul 2010, 22:19

azimuth_pl wrote:btw. I will be digging into my lot of Barry parts so I do hope that some free help from you guys will still be available 8-)
for some reason I have been storing my Synchronar parts for the last six years and it is still the only watch I have absolutely no idea about. I repair nearly any kind of watch so I feel weird about not being skilled in the Synchronar. it's time to take some action.
Nice, gooey, mess. I'll quote Howard Riehl, "don't eat any powered suger donuts while working on them". :lol:

Return to Synchronar