It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:29

new Synchronar

• Author

tenacious-c

new Synchronar

Post24 Mar 2011, 00:05

Hi Gentlemen,

I recently picked up a Synchronar MKIV on the auction site. It arrived today, and I'm already in love with it!
Any suggestions to keep the batteries in tip-top condition? Also, would anyone have any details on this version of the watch-it has the SS caseback.

Also-how do you guys get the pictures with the display lit up? This displays only when the slider is pulled.

Thanks!

Chris

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: new Synchronar

Post24 Mar 2011, 01:45

tenacious-c wrote:Also-how do you guys get the pictures with the display lit up? This displays only when the slider is pulled.....would anyone have any details on this version of the watch-it has the SS caseback.

Welcome to the forum and what a great watch to introduce yourself with!

You could activate the display with an external magnet for the photo or keep the sliders in position with bits of cocktail sticks or something similar.

Is this the case back? This is the one from the RWR LE Edition Synchronar that I purchased from the original inventors son Howard a couple of years back.

tenacious-c

: new Synchronar

Post24 Mar 2011, 03:37

Thanks for the reply!

Yes-that is indeed the caseback for this watch. I think that it was originally purchased from Guy Ball.

Not sure of the history other than that, and don't know much about the workings, i.e.-is this a NiMh battery? Just wondering how I should take care of this gem...

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

tenacious-c

Post24 Mar 2011, 03:57

Just a note-the serial number on the side (I guess that's a serial number) is NOT an RWR LE number-not sure if that makes a difference.

Not wanting to use the seller's pictures, you can see what I did get if you search for completed eBay listings for Synchronar.

The watch appears almost NOS!

I'll take some pics once I get a few minutes time

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post24 Mar 2011, 04:15

I would just wear and enjoy the watch, stick it in the sunlight from time to time to give it a charge and it should be good for many a year to come, should anything happen to go wrong there are some very knowledgeable members on the forum who would gladly help you out.

I know very little regarding the technical workings of these watches but some of the members here will be able to answer the more technical questions that you may have.

Guy Balls did a write up on the Synchronar (link below) I suspect the watch that the write up is based on is the watch that you now have in your possession, so it may make interesting reading for you.

http://www.ledwatches.net/articles/Sync ... 0Watch.htm

UPDATE: It looks like the write up has changed since I last viewed it, there used to be a very good review of a Synchronar, maybe it has been changed because the watch was sold?

Some more Synchronar info here http://www.soluhr.com/35years.htm
and solar powered digitals here http://www.soluhr.com/

tenacious-c

Post25 Mar 2011, 01:21

Hi,

Managed to get in touch with both the previous owner, and Guy Ball-both were gracious enough to answer my questions, and give me a bit of history:

It seems that this watch was purchased by Guy as one of the last ones made by Roger Riehl before he died in 2005. Also, Barry Riehl commented on the auction to say that it was in essence the "latest edition" of the MK IV that Roger was able to complete before he fell ill. Not sure what this means in terms of potting gel, batteries, etc., but it is simply a magnificent watch!

I mostly collect vintage mechanical watches, but have held a special spot for the Synchronar, should I find one.

J Thomas

Wizard

Wizard

Re: : new Synchronar

Post28 Mar 2011, 23:08

:-D

Return to Synchronar