It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:13

MK1 case

• Author

PDaemon

MK1 case

Post29 Sep 2012, 00:47

Hi, I am quit new in this forum and already introduced myself in the thread http://www.newdwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5626

I am increasingly fascinated by the vintage LED technology and I am surprised how many people share this passion … what a pleasure …

Now to my specific question:

Some time ago I purchased a synchronar watch (MK1 in a sunwatch case). I like this watch very much and ware it very often. Now I intend to transfer the module in a original MK1 case (metal bar in the middle). For that reason I would like to ask if anyone know who can offer me a MK1 case (red plastic case + meal top).

Any answer is appreciated.

Thanks, Peter

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Re: MK1 case

Post29 Sep 2012, 15:53

Welcome to the forum! I'm curious - is your SYnchronar an old one that was never opened, one rebuilt by Howard Reihl or someone else. Reason I ask is you are proposing to open a currently working Synchronar JUST to change the case. If it is filled with potting gel you may damage it greatly trying to remove the movement. :-?
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

PDaemon

Post29 Sep 2012, 21:27

Thanks for the reply ...
The Synchronar is definitely a rebuilt one by someone I don´t know. I bought it on ebay.

Additionally, I already have bought some MK1 module parts (I try to build a working module out of some module parts ... but this is a project which takes some more time). So I know the design of the MK1 module quite well and I don´t think, that there is a high risk to damage the case when changing the case. If all goes as planned, I will transfer the module inclusive the potting gel without without the necessity of removing the potting gel from the module. Please inform me if anyone knows that this is not possible.

Peter

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post29 Sep 2012, 23:03

PDaemon wrote:Thanks for the reply ...
The Synchronar is definitely a rebuilt one by someone I don´t know. I bought it on ebay.

Additionally, I already have bought some MK1 module parts (I try to build a working module out of some module parts ... but this is a project which takes some more time). So I know the design of the MK1 module quite well and I don´t think, that there is a high risk to damage the case when changing the case. If all goes as planned, I will transfer the module inclusive the potting gel without without the necessity of removing the potting gel from the module. Please inform me if anyone knows that this is not possible.

Peter
Well, the potting gel sticks pretty good to the cases due to "vacuum adhesion" - depending on the particular mix of it. Sometimes it's like honey, other times it is hard like wax...or anything in between. You can help it release from the top of the case by (a)melting a small hole into the top with a hot needle to let in some air, and (b)warm the whole thing up to body temperature of slightly warmer. I believe making the hole helps more than warming....it;s not like the potting gel melts easily.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post30 Sep 2012, 04:21

peter, if it is a mkI in a sunwatch case, it probably doesn't have gel in it. whoever built it would have had to open the mkI and remove it from the red top and do whatever necessary to restore it. then drop it in the sunwatch red top and close it up. still, if you have mkI parts and understand the workings of it, i would recommend building one of those and get a top, bottom and s/s case. as ed said, opening a working synchronar just for that is quite risky. i'll agree to that. !@@! i have rebuilt 14-15 of them, but not all 100% successful. i still have some left for a rainy day, but we don't get those in aridzona. 8-) . peter

PDaemon

Post16 Oct 2012, 20:49

Thanks a lot for all your comments. It may well be that I am underestimating the risk of such a project. Perhaps it would be a good idea to restore a mkI module in the first step. Nevertheless, in any case I need a mk1 case. Are there any places where I can get such a case except waiting until there is a adequate offer on ebay ?

Peter

Return to Synchronar