A few synchronars / sunwatches to be revived

• Author

laptop

Techie

Techie

A few synchronars / sunwatches to be revived

Post27 Feb 2013, 06:23

Hi guys,
I have 1 Synchronar (red top, and bottom) with the split metal bar on the top of the case and recessed on the lexan top - non-working
And 4 Sunwatch (black bottom and red top) conventional rectangular with round corner lexan top. Different finishes and cases (hard angled, smooth corner, and also different metal coatings).
One of the Sunwatch(es) is working... but... the other three (Sunwatch) and the Synchronar have the inside rotten.
I bought many parts from Barry (Riehl) such as boxes, manuals, etc etc etc
Any idea who could work on them and the estimated repair cost (located here in the USA)?
Anybody?! :scratch:
As ar as the money invested and expected held value for future references, for the Synchronar and the Sunwatch have me completely lost, I've seem the price range goes from all the way down to the sky high!!! Why this volatility?!
By the way, I would like to let you guys know that my passion for LED watches started with the Synchronar. I always wanted to see somebody get all the information around the Synchronar and the Riehl family and write a beautiful and COLORFUL book with the history of the Synchronar. It would be a must have to all collectors right?! :-D
Thank you.
Sunwatch.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The impossible is only a point of view!

charger105

Guru

Guru

Re: A few synchronars / sunwatches to be revived

Post01 Mar 2013, 09:17

laptop wrote:As ar as the money invested and expected held value for future references, for the Synchronar and the Sunwatch have me completely lost, I've seem the price range goes from all the way down to the sky high!!! Why this volatility?!

Hi laptop.
There are a lot of varieties out there, in varying states of originality. Factors affecting price would be:

1. There are Synchronars and Sunwatches. The Synchronars are rarer, and were the higher end model with much better bracelet. Hence they command a higher price. There also seems to be a lot of NOS Sunwatch cases and Sunwatch red tops floating about.

2. I would say that MkIVs are the most desireable by a long way. They are feature packed, and produced in far less quantity than the other Mks. MkIs and MkIIs are plentiful and easily repaired. MkIIIs are also plentiful, but difficult/impossible to repair, however Hanno produces a SASM replacement for a MkIII (some people see this as a positive since they're more robust, some see it as a negative as they're no longer original).

3. Of course there's also the normal variables-----condition, box, papers etc.

4. The mystery that is "Ebay". Sometimes you get 2 or more people who just really want something. It seems that sometimes a seller just gets lucky (or they bid their own item up !@@! ).

So, a MkIV Synchronar in perfect order with box and papers should bring the maximum price.
A non working Sunwatch should bring a minimum.
Rgds,
Andrew.

laptop

Techie

Techie

Re: A few synchronars / sunwatches to be revived

Post02 Mar 2013, 05:22

Yesterday I put my Sunwatch to charge in front of the sliding door on my kitchen and my wife accidentally dropped it. It stopped showing the hours (but kept showing other functions) what made think that the reed switch got damaged. I use my last resource and decided to open to check things out, and voila!!!! it was the reed switch, even though I don't have too much experience, I changed it and it worked like a charm. But another problem arouse!!!! I broke the solar cell trying to put it back on the case. It shows two small cracks on each side. Is it going to affect the charging function of it?! !@@!
Please help!!!! :bang:
The impossible is only a point of view!

Return to Synchronar