It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:41

Synchronar longevity?

• Author

your_man_in_Hamburg

Techie

Techie

Synchronar longevity?

Post22 Jan 2005, 21:16

It seems that I read a lot about dead Synchronars and Synchronars that have had their
batteries replaced, but how many have lasted more than 20 years?

Your man in Hamburg

BTW: The design longevity for the standard Swatch is 20 years. That is, it was designed to
last at least that long, not to follow a timetable and start falling apart after 19 years and 11
months. (I feel this comment is needed since a lot of people appear to believe that modern
day gadgets are "designed to break down". Except for a few safety devices that are designed
to protect something by breaking down, is this a silly misconception.)

reallsod

Re: Synchronar longevity?

Post26 Jan 2005, 01:45

Longevity - I would think that if the battery manufacturers of the 70s had the technology to make batteries last more than a few years without corroding and also to recharge more than 1000 times (Nicads) then the synchs would never need to be taken apart. Just an observation. I still think they are amazing. Maybe Roger should have developed a battery for his watch. :)

dot matrix

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Digital Guy <br>(Forum Founder)

Post27 Jan 2005, 23:41

Or maybe just used a capacitor instead.

I've never had a Synchronar last more than a few (ie, less than five) years.
LED watches are quiet and polite. No ticking, no tocking, no beeping, no buzzing; they will only tell you the time when you ask to see it and they will do so instantly with no attention-seeking animations. A more civilized watch for a more civilized age.

reallsod

Post28 Jan 2005, 01:52

Even with modern batteries? Nimh? :o

Dig-it-all

Geek

Geek

Post22 Jan 2006, 00:04

Mine is still working with the original accumulators. A bit faint but still there. Getting worried about them though, I guess I will have to think about changing them sooner rather than later.

Planet-LED

Techie

Techie

Post30 Jan 2006, 17:12

What would any of you estimate the life span to be using modern batteries? And would you just use conventional watch batteries or is there some special battery you would use.

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post30 Jan 2006, 19:05

Very hard to say - I can only guess but I doubt it would be much more than 10 years. Of course depends on which type and make you buy.

I think the permanent charging and de-charging makes them die so soon. I personally consider Dig-it-all's Synchronar a god-damn wonder. There is some Synchronars out there using the same battery for like 30 years and its still working. rational thinking tells me this just aint possible, but then again there are still quite some of them among collectors and even today working fine. But I wouldnt count on miracles.

Dig-it-all

Geek

Geek

Post31 Jan 2006, 15:07

fronzelneekburm wrote:Dig-it-all's Synchronar a god-damn wonder.

I agree - but it is mint and boxed. I know it was stored away for many years (uncharged no doubt) so may be the helps with the life. As yu say constantly discharging and recharging probably does affect the longevity.

I have looked carefull at my watch but I don't believe the batteries (accumulators) have been changed.

Synchroserious

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 May 2006, 05:02

Hold on to that near light and shoot for the record " LONGEST LASTING DIGITAL", it is estimated that yours is one of less than 500 in existance,and if it's a MK1 with Big display less than 50 .Many were destroyed for a minimal reason and who knows may otherwise have kept time to this day.I have no doubt in my mind that one day and another more will be discovered working{ORIGINAL SEAL & BATTERIES}at estate sales or a lucky find. Does yours have text SYNCHRONAR 1 on the bottom?
Membership status is unknown due to lack of communication.

Return to Synchronar