Question on Mark II quartz connection

• Author

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Question on Mark II quartz connection

Post27 Jul 2013, 23:37

hi,
I have 2 Synchonars on my desk that I'm repairing for a friend.
A Mark I was a piece of cake and simply needed fresh cells.
A Mark II however is nearly identical but the wiring is slightly different.
As I have never played with a vast number of Synchronar types I'm rather experienced with the Mark I.

The Mark II is pictured below...and the issue is that I have seen a few similar but different solutions on how the wires are connected and all the watches worked fine.
For instance I don't see a green enameled wire going from the bottom part of the module.
Hence I'd rather ask you guys (most likely charger105 or Old Tom) before I short the incorrect wires.

The yellow circles show the quartz connection, this setup works perfectly on the Mark I but does not work on this Mark II.
There are however 2 black vintage original wires going from negative, 1 to the cell and the 2nd to.....somewhere.
The 2nd black wire is short and the most obvious spot would be to solder it to the left leg of the quartz tube.

I'd appreciate a hint if my assumption is correct or if there is yet another solution on how to fire up this module...I assume it is in working condition.

"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

charger105

Guru

Guru

Re: Question on Mark II quartz connection

Post28 Jul 2013, 03:47

Hi Piotr.
Did you open the module up ? I suspect not. Perhaps the previous repairman attached a wire to the negative terminal for diagnostic purposes. I've never seen any wire attached to the battery pad apart from the battery connections themselves.

I just had a look at a few MkII modules and the only negative battery connection points I could find were:
1. IC
2. QC leg via a capacitor
3. SC
4. Display transistor driver chain
5. Reed inputs to the IC via a resistor (although on most MKIIs this is integrated into the IC).

Let us know how you get on.
Rgds.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post28 Jul 2013, 21:43

hey, many thanks for all the options.
the 2nd wire is original, old and cracking so considering it's length I applied it to the left leg of the quartz tub...and nothing :(
I didn't have any capacitors to test and play around and I also didn't want to try my luck to much.
I also tried a few surrounding points but again nothing....so I started to search for old pictures and in a very old archive I found an option to fit the micro-chip oscillator.
This solution works perfect :)
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

egomon

Techie

Techie

Post22 Oct 2013, 20:50

Hi. I tryed this on two of my watches and the chip is draining the watch form fully charged to empty in 8 hours...does this happend to you allso?

Best regards

E.

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Post22 Oct 2013, 21:47

hey, this did not happen in the watch I repaired with the chip.
would you have another suggestion on how to connect the quartz?

Return to Synchronar