It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:53

Synchronar Mk1/Mk2 display driver/transistor repair

• Author

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Synchronar Mk1/Mk2 display driver/transistor repair

Post09 Jan 2014, 20:19

I thought somebody might benefit from these few pictures.
I personally hate doing any repairs on the Synchronar but when I finally get in the mood I try to do my best.
The transistor for the first left digit corroded due to battery leakage so I fitted a surface mount modern replacement NPN type.
I would prefer to install the original one but both my Synch carcases and Hanno's warehouse was out of stock ;)
It's a BC817 from Infineon technologies - just in case somebody would need one. You will need a BC807 PNP for the segment drivers.
You might need to file down the plastic SMD casing a fraction of a milimeter to make it fit within the height of the IC and reed switches.
Not to exceed the thickness of the main IC you will need to place the driver in the optimum spot on the board and solder thin wires and probably also use some masking tape.

One remaining task....is to fix the solar cell. Fortunately it broke just in between the panels so it's an easy soldering fix.
The potting gel sucked in the cell so much that it cracked while removing the module from the lexan and there was no other way or gap to pry the module upwards.
With another module I'll probably need to find a very thin but hard U-shaped wire to insert between the lexan and solar cell and remove the suction.

"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Re: Synchronar Mk1/Mk2 display driver/transistor repair

Post09 Jan 2014, 23:49

thats some great 'almost microscopic' work, Peter. :mega:
and well documented.
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

Re: Synchronar Mk1/Mk2 display driver/transistor repair

Post10 Jan 2014, 00:02

:mega: Thanks, that wire is almost as thin as human hair.
btw. I noticed that the module got charged easily with this tiny fraction of the solar cell.
"The first and still only LED watch maniac in the East Block" - www.crazywatches.pl

Return to Synchronar