It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:05

Getting my LED watch fix

• Author

scytherman

Getting my LED watch fix

Post24 Mar 2014, 13:29

Hello All!

Quite a while ago, in my teens, I saw a Synchronar on the hand of one of my father's friends when he came by. I was instantly fascinated by its look. With a mischievous smile, my father's friend challenged me to find out how he could tell time from it; I must say that it took me a while to find out that the time appeared to the side of the watch...not on the red watch face(now I know that as the Lexan cover for the solar panel). I was instantly smitten by this neat watch and wanted to own one some day.
Some time later, I was searching the internet for this in vain thinking it was something made by Texas Instruments(the closest looking thing to it was a LED calculator made by them, in my fathers study).
Rather recently, I stumbled on the facts that it was invented and produced by Mr.Riehl. I wanted to collect a working Synchronar 2100.
I've come to realise that this endeavour is going to be an elusive dream; a fully working, unmodified Synchronar 2100 would indeed be a super rarity and the ones touted on eBay as "fully-working" would turn out to be ones that had the module repaired/replaced/modified,etc. Also, anybody parting with a "working" Synchronar 2100 nowadays would know in his heart that its lifetime is already up by now. Any watch that would be working up to now would be liable to go dead in the very near future, due to its age and the inherent wear-out of the NiCads. Suddenly, investing $1000+ for such a flawed gem sounded unappealing.Then there was this constant maintenance factor of charging up with sunlight,bright lights,etc.
Determined to collect a vintage LED watch, I looked at other options. The Bulova Computron looked neat but again the state of the surviving watches on offer left me cold.
Now I am going the slacker's way and getting my LED watch fix by the Adidas HSD602, a modern-day replica of the Bulova Computron, made by Fossil.
I know the true collectors would surely give me a thumbs down for this choice but I just could not afford to have a fancy paperweight around after spending a grand on it.
Last edited by scytherman on 27 Mar 2014, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Re: Getting my LED watch fix

Post24 Mar 2014, 14:05

I would not give up on the Synchronar dream quite so easily as there are a number of options....

1. Find an original which has just had the batteries replaced, many are available on the web with all original parts apart from the batteries.
2. Have a look for one of the watches produced by Howard Riehl the original inventors son (the LE version) made from all original parts.
3. Post in the wanted section of the forum, lots of members here collect and trade Synchronars.
4. I believe that replacement modules are available from 'strikesandspares' (Hanno would be able to confirm this) and repairs tend to quite successful with this watch, again have a browse through the forum - lots of Synchronar stories to be found.

Nothing from the modern era will ever quite recapture your boyhood memories, the only way to scratch that itch would be with an original Synchronar.

I would not worry about the batteries being replaced affecting it's originality, all my watches have had their batteries replaced at some stage, the only added complication with the Sychronars is that the case has to be opened to do so but done correctly and resealed you would be hard pushed to tell.

The new batteries do hold their charge very well, if you are in a sunny climate wearing the watch would be enough to keep it topped up, here in the rainy UK I just leave it on the windowsill.

Welcome to the forum.

"willkommen"

scytherman

Post27 Mar 2014, 10:05

I've taken your advice and happy to announce that I have secured a Synchronar 2100 for myself. If anybody can tell me how to upload photos to this forum, I can share some photos of my latest acquisition, when I get it to my hands.
On a different note, is there any biography on Roger Reihl or any investigative write-up about the Synchronar 2100 phenomena? I've looked in the usual websites that sell books and there's no authoritative book on either subject?? Along with the supersonic Concorde jet, the Synchronar is one of the most iconic images from my teens. I may never fly the Concorde but at least I will soon have a Synchronar on my left hand.
One last question before I go; has anybody kept a count of the number of working Synchronars in existence as opposed to the total number produced?

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post27 Mar 2014, 11:31

scytherman wrote:I've taken your advice and happy to announce that I have secured a Synchronar 2100 for myself. If anybody can tell me how to upload photos to this forum, I can share some photos of my latest acquisition, when I get it to my hands.
On a different note, is there any biography on Roger Reihl or any investigative write-up about the Synchronar 2100 phenomena? I've looked in the usual websites that sell books and there's no authoritative book on either subject?? Along with the supersonic Concorde jet, the Synchronar is one of the most iconic images from my teens. I may never fly the Concorde but at least I will soon have a Synchronar on my left hand.
One last question before I go; has anybody kept a count of the number of working Synchronars in existence as opposed to the total number produced?

Synchronars are a science on its own. Designer Roger Riehl always stated that it was the first LED watch ever, however arguably the Pulsar was at least the first LED watch available.
I think there were at least 4 revisions with different functions for the module (Mark I to Mark IV, maybe even Mark V?) and the watch was sold in different cases, with different bands and materials under several brand names.

It was sold as the "Synchronar 2100", as the "Sun Watch", as the "Ragen Synchronar 1", "Ness Time Synchronar" and many other names. It is unknown how many were exactly produced under which name. Until ROger Riehl passed away a few years ago he was still manufacturing watches at his home.

scytherman

Post04 Apr 2014, 16:25

I just received mine today! The long wait is over. :grin1:
Contents: watch,case,case cover and the paraphernalia
Like somebody said: nothing scratches this itch like an original Synchronar!!

I have some questions regarding maintenance of this beauty;
- How do I clean the watch band to take out any grime and grease on it and lubricate any points(if necessary)?

-How do I care for the Lexan surfaces and smooth out any minute scratches? Is there a clean & shine polish for these?

-I love the original watch band but what are my options in replacing it with a more secure one(double lock clasp et al)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post05 Apr 2014, 21:39

All the knowledge is out there...i mean is here on our board :-D, step inside our new world and start reading. Give your brain some exercise, it's good for the health. It will take just a few hours to find all your answers + so much more info.
If you can't find it within a few days, phone me :call: :-D

Happy reading and discovering :Prost:
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

bucko170

Guru

Guru

Post06 Apr 2014, 01:17

Nice choice! 8-)
An ultrasonic cleaner is pretty good for cleaning out the grime from watch bands, the rule when it comes to choosing a band is 'if it fits and you like it, stick it on' ;-) The fold over clasps are usually secure enough for every day use, unless it is really worn I would not bother changing it, the Synchronar's mainly came fitted with a good quality 'Duchess' band. I am not sure what to use to remove scratches on the Lexan case as I have never had to do it but I am sure other members would be happy to help.

scytherman

Post06 Apr 2014, 07:21

At present, the watch sports a "Hadley" stainless steel watch band. I am not sure if this was the original one the Synchronar was sold with or if Roger Riehl sourced watch bands from a few suppliers such as Hadley, Duchess, etc.
It has a bit of grime between the links that I'd like to clean up but the clasp is still fairly secure.
I guess if I replace this with a brand new watch band, some of its authenticity would go out of the window(the new watch bands on eBay have "made in Hong Kong" on them)
The Lexan surfaces on top have a bit of minute scratches that is niggling; after seeing the photos in Johannes Schoon's review of the Synchronar 2100 Mark IV on another site ( http://www.ledwatches.net/articles/sync ... eview.html ), I feel positively self-concious about them. I've read elsewhere to use toothpaste and water to clean the Lexan. What do you guys think?
Just like Schoon's watch, mine too has something that is catching the watch band at one side; I guess it is some excess adhesive material from a restorative process. I must take out the watch band and have a look to trim it off.
My wife is bemused by the attention that I give to this at the moment. It is my experience that wives usually demand nothing less than undivided attention from their husbands. :-D

clockace

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post05 Oct 2014, 06:29

The Hadley band you show in the photo is the correct one. How is the watch working? I have a few of these watches including the first one I bought in 1975. I also have one of the last ones Howard Riehl built as limited editions. I think bucko(mick) has one also. Peter

gjlelec

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Oct 2014, 10:50

I had a little chortle at the title of this thread as it took me back to the day i managed to nab my first "proper" LED years ago. The day it arrived, i was opening the box and shaking like a druggie getting a fix. Many watches and countless £££££ later, nothing has quite compared to that first "hit" Enjoy your Synchronar

Return to Synchronar