It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 07:16

NOS Displays

• Author

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

NOS Displays

Post22 Sep 2012, 03:07

I am always searching for "new old" LED displays which have been made by Litronix, Monsanto and HP. Usually I need them to repair modules of my customers in case the display of their old module was damaged and cannot be swapped to the new circuit. A few days ago I was lucky and bought NOS displays to repair Pulsar watches. Appearently the early Litronix displays for Pulsar/Hamilton/Omega watches came from the same wafer as the early Monsanto MAN3A displays which have been used in MK I Synchronar watches. Both displays use absolutely the same 7 segment layout with tiny dots on each bar, commonly known as the Pulsar dot display. The only difference is their package as the Monsanto MAN3A displays come in a red (and sometimes clear) single housing with pins on each display which can be soldered directly to the circuit board. I believe the LED displays have been developed in the USA and interestingly Monsanto produced in Indonesia while the Litronix displays came from Singapore.

HereĀ“re two pictures of new-in-the-box Litronix 5122 and Monsanto MAN3A displays:

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Re: NOS Displays

Post22 Sep 2012, 10:57

That's an awesome news Hanno! Now the job on modules with a shot display will be much easier, but the pictures aren't showing!
Image Image

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post22 Sep 2012, 15:17

..took some time for the pictures because of server updates.

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Sep 2012, 15:51

That's a great find, they'll come in handy for modules that don't have a working display. :-)
I wonder if those Litronix displays are suitable for the early P2s or the late P2/P3 ones.
Image Image

SASM

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post22 Sep 2012, 16:05

Yes, they are in part at least for all P3s and Date IIs and some P2s with the light sensor on the right of the display. Although the display looks the same from the top, the early P2s with the light sensor under the display used a slightly different one. It is the pinout of these units which is different to the pictured Litronix displays so that it cannot be attached to the circuit board of later watches.

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post22 Sep 2012, 16:11

Interesting, I've noticed that the early P2 modules are very different from the late ones, which were derived from the ones of the P3s. Congratulations for the catch, hope you'll find more of them in future! :-D
Image Image

Return to All other LED watches