It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 08:03

My collection so far... With a surprise

• Author

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

My collection so far... With a surprise

Post05 Oct 2012, 14:45

During the morning, I realized that I've been a member here since five months, and it's incredible to see that during just five months, I have managed to increase my collection so much, with some events that happened in the meantime, such as the sudden death of my Elektronika 1 and the arrival of my first Pulsar. So, I thought that while I'm waiting for my next arrival, the P3, I should take a picture of the watches I've got so far, and I took photos of each watch, including the casebacks and lit-up displays (I haven't taken a pic of the Computron's caseback because the picture never turned out properly). However, while I was taking the picture of the Elektronika, I thought that it was too strange that the watch died suddenly, during the battery replacement. So, I decided to open the watch, to check out, as a newbie in electronics, what could've happened.

I've opened the watch and I took the module out from the case, and there was a sort of post-apocalyptic scene: the module was covered in dust and moisture, and the button contacts -along with the battery ones- were nearly fully covered by oxyde. :eek:

Counting only on my limited (well, extremely low) electronics skills, I took the plastic carrier apart from the module, and with an eraser and a needle, I began to clean the contacts and scratch off all the oxyde on the contacts, until they began to shine again, then, I put everything back into the case. I took a pair of 357 and I put them into the watch, thinking that my attempt at bringing it back to life wouldn't be successful, instead... It works! :-D

Now the watch doesn't have flickering problems nor contact issues anymore, and it seems to work even better than before. So, the reason that led to the sudden "coma" of the watch was probably a contact issue, I'm testing the watch since this morning, and it's working flawlessly at the moment. Welcome back Elektronika! Now I just have to find a non-working version with a case in good conditions, so I can give a better case to the watch.

To view the pictures at their full size, just click on the thumbnails, hope you like them! ;-)

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Besides the photos of the collection, I took some additional pics of the King of my collection, as a "divertissement". I've managed to fix the twisted link of the bracelet, and now it looks perfect. :-D

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image

dutchsiberia

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: My collection so far... With a surprise

Post05 Oct 2012, 17:08

Very nice collection so far :)
I experienced similar developments. Starting as a member with one dead Orient touch led I now have two working touch leds, a P3 and several other led watches and a lot of lcd's :)

Kasper

Guru

Guru

Post05 Oct 2012, 18:24

it's a disease :-D

nice collection...but be carefull..it's so difficult to cure :-D
Hey you all...this board is FREE and without ADS, so at least post something every now and then to show your appreciation.

Get the latest active topics of the board here.
http://www.newdwf.com/search.php?search_id=active_topics

- Kasper -

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Oct 2012, 18:53

dutchsiberia wrote:Very nice collection so far :)
I experienced similar developments. Starting as a member with one dead Orient touch led I now have two working touch leds, a P3 and several other led watches and a lot of lcd's :)

Thank you Kasper and Dutchsiberia! What makes me proud is that the Elektronika started working again after I've cleaned the module and the contacts. Now it works flawlessly! I've also reattached the internal paper label in the caseback (which was loose), because I've noticed that the watch doesn't work properly without that label, so I guess that it gives electrical insulation to the module, to prevent false contacts. I'm checking it every 10/15 minutes, and it's working fine so far. I just have to search for a new case for my Elektronika, because mine is a lil' battered.

kasper wrote:it's a disease :-D

nice collection...but be carefull..it's so difficult to cure :-D

And when the P3 will arrive the collection will have six models... I'm already thinking about the next addition, perhaps another P2 or a P4 BigTime! :-D
Image Image

Ade51

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Oct 2012, 19:30

Good news on bringing your electronika back to life - another precious vintage LED saved :-D

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post05 Oct 2012, 19:56

Definitely! Now it's just time to find a new case... I might be on the right track about that, fingers crossed, and the Elektronika-1 will slowly return to its former glory (maybe someday I'll hunt for an original bracelet as well :-D )
Image Image

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post06 Oct 2012, 09:21

Well on your way! Nice collection, you probably new this but for others who may not know your N6 bulova is indeed 1976. Bulova was very nice in that they labelled the case and movements with the year code:

L = 50
    M = 60
    N = 70

Just add the numeric to the alpha year code. Now bulova is known to mix and match module calibre movements with cases but they were never far off.

The most fun is resurrecting a watch and restoring it as you have with the Elektronica.

Keep the pictures comming!

Geoff

vpn

Wizard

Wizard

Post06 Oct 2012, 11:08

Thank you Geoff! Indeed the Bulova numbering system is very helpful when it's needed to identify the production year of the watch, in a simple way. Just as we're speaking, I've bought a new case for the Elektronika, now I just have to wait until it'll arrive, and I'll finally be able to restore the watch. It still doesn't have the original bracelet yet, but I'll search for an original one at a good price in the future, It won't be as flawless as your excellent Navitimer restoration, but at least the watch will be able to live a second youth for daily usage. :-D

Here's the new case, picture taken by the seller. It looks way better than mine, very few light scratches, and no worn out chrome. :-D
The module has probably a broken QC, but it's not a problem, as I just need to put my working module inside. Perhaps someday I could fix this module, after all, having a spare one is always a good thing.

Image Image

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post06 Oct 2012, 17:35

I have success in re-plating also. Not too expensive!

I think it is time to add an Elektronica to my collection :-D

Cheers

Return to All other LED watches