Help pls! - vintage La Generale LED watch and module

• Author

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Help pls! - vintage La Generale LED watch and module

Post15 Sep 2016, 12:23

Hi all.

Even if a have no expertise in Led Watches, I bought a cheap vintage La Generale Led watch (pls see the below photos) because I really like the Space Age design of the watch.The watch is similar with this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/La-Generale-USA ... 7675.l2557
But my watch seems to have a quite temperamental module: I've put two Camelion LR44 batteries in it and it only lights the led module when the caseback is not pushed in place, but only pressed enough to make some contact.
Otherwise, with the caseback in place, the watch is not working (pls see the photos of the watch and module below).
Thus I kindly ask You - the experts - some questions:
1.What module it may have ? Because on the chipset of the module is written Malaysia...
2. What may cause such an erratic behaviour of the module and how may I solve it?

Thanks in advance for all Your kind answers and help,
Regards,
:dwf:

la_generale_led1.jpg

la_generale_movt.jpg

la_generale_work.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Every watch should have its own story...consequently, a watch collector has to be a good storyteller :)

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Re: Help pls! - vintage La Generale LED watch and module

Post16 Sep 2016, 20:14

It seems that I have found the module type: is a module with a Mostek Chip, similar to the one found in some Bulova "Quartz" LED from 1976 and some other LED watches (as one may see on the excellent Piotr's CrazyWatches website):
http://www.crazywatches.pl/bulova-quartz-led-1976
Anyway, I will welcome any suggestion how to practically solve the (contact?) problem, because compared with the above mentioned Bulova, the contacts between batteries and the case back are much raw and large and are "glued" on the caseback of La Generale Swiss Made :) Case.
I've already tried to gently bend/unbend those contacts glued on the case back but with no improvement.
Thanks in advance for all Your help,
Regards
Every watch should have its own story...consequently, a watch collector has to be a good storyteller :)

charger105

Guru

Guru

Post18 Sep 2016, 02:32

If the batteries are too thick, the pressure of closing the caseback might be stressing something. Try thinner batteries.
Also, the terminals on the caseback aren't in the centre by the looks of it.There's probably a mark on the edge that needs to line up with a similar mark on the case. Try lining it up properly if you haven't already.
Rgds.

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Sep 2016, 11:59

Hi,
Thanks a lot for the thinner battery tips!
The LR44 batteries came with the watch, so - because I have very little experience with LED modules - I supposed that their size are the proper one :(.
I even did not knew, until recently, which is the LED module type/manufacturer in the watch. So I had no clue about the proper battery type for it.
I will try some thinner LR43 batteries and if Your solution will solve the problem I will buy and put some thinner and good quality 386 silver oxide batteries in the module.
Thanks again!
Regards,
Last edited by cybr on 18 Sep 2016, 19:38, edited 2 times in total.

cybr

Wizard

Wizard

Post18 Sep 2016, 18:55

PS. It seems now quite clear that the proper battery type for such Mostek LED modules is the 386/SR1142 silver oxide, as it may be seen in the image below, written inside the caseback of a Bulova Quartz LED 1976, with the same Mostek module.
Also, here it is a very useful - at least for me - online Watch Size Battery Guide :
http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/info/w ... -reference
Thanks again Mr. Charger105 for all Your kind help!
Regards,
mostek_386_batteries.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to All other LED watches