It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:46

Battery for Solar Uranus

• Author

RaWatch

Geek

Geek

Battery for Solar Uranus

Post14 Jan 2006, 20:47

I just got a LED solar Uranus just like the one pictured in joewaycool's Sept 10, 2005 lising. What battery does it take?

joeywaycool

Techie

Techie

Re: Battery for Solar Uranus

Post16 Jan 2006, 05:10

Are you talking about this one?

If so, the one I have does not have the proper Uranus module in it so I can't be sure about yours. I would guess the cells would need to be the rechargable type since the watch was designed to be assisted by solar power. Does your module have the solar cells on the front like these?

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/uranus-solar-modules.htm

I understand these modules are particularly rare, especially in working condition.

Give us more details about yours.... :D

RaWatch

Geek

Geek

Post16 Jan 2006, 05:22

Yes, it does have a series of small solar cells on the front. The case is in very good condition. There is a touch of corrosion on one of the battery contacts in the back. I can't tell you much more. I did not know it was that rare. Now I am particularly interested to know if it works.

I first heard about it from Roger Reihl. He did not consider it a solar watch at all since he thought that it was really just a battery powered watch that did not get any significant power from the solar cells.

ledwatch

Banned

Post18 Jan 2006, 02:27

Hi, test it with normal 386 cells and if it works then I have some rechargeables that will work.
Incidently the solar panel in there is so small that it has no chance of really charging the cells, I have one and if I leave it in direct sunlight for two or three days in the middle of summer it will charge up, any other time of year, or if theres any clouds around and I have to take out the cells and charge them out of the watch.

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post22 Jan 2006, 22:31

Tiny solar cells under a red glass in direct sunlight are probably going to generate 1ma at best, so I think this was a case of ?nice Idea? but woefully useless !

About as clever as a luminous sundial ?

These pics of a charger for the Uranus Solar powered LED Calculator made me smile :-

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/uranus6.htm

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/uranus5.htm

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post22 Jan 2006, 23:19

Hmmm, 1 mA doesn't sound much, how many mah does a normal 70s LED wristwatch consume when the button is NOT pushed within the time measured? I am really no electronics expert, I can only guess. I got 10-20 mah in mind, dunno where I got that from, but it is probably too much, eh?

But coming to think of solar LED watches - as far as I know it really "works" - I mean unless the battery has died due to aging this really never needs charging or so, not even in winter when sunlight is hard to find. And I doubt Roger Riehls Tech from about 1970 was built THAT energy saving.

But I must admit that these super-tiny solar cells in Seikos dont do much, I have to change batteries as often as in the models without solar cells.

Edit: Oh and that charger for the Uranus is really a funny one. Isnt it called "Horseshoe" or so? replacable button cells as in nearly all other watches would have been the easier and cheaper solution.

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post23 Jan 2006, 00:32

As far as I can recall LED watches are similar to LCD when the are not displaying the time. IE, a tiny current is being drained, like 0.01ma, or 10 microamps or even less. LCDs drain the same whilst showing the time, hence their advantage.

With early LED's the drain shoots up to 20-50ma when its ON, and even more if its a non-mulitplexed display.

The problem with charging is you need to put power into a rechargeable battery which is not 100% efficient process, and you need full on sunlight, not a desk lamp. My experience with PV solar cells is that the drop off in charge current is huge as soon as the sun is not on it. Cloudy days and fluorescent lights don?t even generate 10% of its full capacity. Its got to be direct sunlight !

As for drain :-

Loosely speaking, there are 8,760 hrs in a year, and most largish button cells have a mah rating of approx 100mah ? 150mah ( mah = milli-amp-hours), or in other words a button cell could supply 0.1amps for one hour and then be dead.

So to last a year, you basically take the mah rating, divide it by the number of hours in a year to work out how much current drain it can tolerate in order to last a year.

So lets take an average mah rating of 125mah, divided by 8760 and you get 14 microamps or 0.014ma of continuous drain to last approx a year. So a LED or LCD watch can easily last 1 yr if its only drawing an average of 0.010 ma.

When the LED display is on the current drain shoots up to, say, 20-50ma, but only for a few seconds, and maybe 1 minute in a whole day. (Then you?ve got alarms and backlights to think about with LCDs)

It is possible to work out how long a battery is likely to last by combinations of minutes used per year and the ?on? current drain, and factoring in the tiny drain when it off , and knowing the mah rating.

EG, if your watch draws 50ma when display is on, and it?s a 125mah battery, and you held the button pressed in until it went dead, you might get 2 to 2.5 hrs display before it went flat !!

Return to All other LED watches