It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:36

No conformal coating?

• Author

robc

No conformal coating?

Post22 Jan 2006, 18:57

How common was this? A watch that I recently opened has absolutely nothing protecting the chip and display. They're just sitting there, on the substrate open to the air. Not surprisingly, it's totally dead. I took some pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/84221353@N00/tags/ledwatch/
Most watches I've seen (which is not that many really) have some sort of coating protecting the guts.

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: No conformal coating?

Post22 Jan 2006, 21:53

According to my engineer friends, the kind of protective coating you're referring to here is called "encapsulation". In theory, it has a twofold function; structural reinforcement, in that it physically immobilizes the wires and keeps them from bending, and as a barrier to moisture and chemical contamination. I have seen this in two variations, one a hard, dark epoxy-like material [all clock chips on P2 and P3 Pulsars are encapsulated in this way], and a clear, silicone rubber-like material. These materials are highly specific to the application; in particular, they must have a zero coefficient of expansion or contraction as they cure [such a dimensional change during cure would put potentially bond-breaking tension on the wires]. Once cured, the material is unremovable without causing more damage to existing bonds, so such modules are essentially unrepairable. In either case, sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't. Moisture and corrosive chemicals [probably from leaking batteries], are insideous and very patient, and a lot can go on in a sealed watch case in 25 or 30 years. All Pulsar P4s, Calculators, and Ladies' models [except Touch-Command] have unprotected or "open" [to the air] wire bonds [still protected by a removable plastic shield]. While it may make them a bit more vulnerable, it also makes them vastly more repairable [whether or not this was a design consideration by the Time Computer engineers is something we may never know, but, having fixed a fair number of these, I'm grateful they decided to do it the way they did].

Diginut

Techie

Techie

Post22 Jan 2006, 22:15

Last edited by Diginut on 29 Dec 2008, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

robc

Post23 Jan 2006, 23:23

Those are very cool- that Uranus looks pretty intense!

fronzelneekburm

Guru

Guru

Post24 Jan 2006, 00:45

Oh the legendary "should work with a new battery but I dont give any warranty" auctions. :D

I better dont ask whether it worked with a new battery or not.... :lol:

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post24 Jan 2006, 03:12

So who has bought a 'probably just needs a new battery' watch from ebay, and actually picked up a bargain? Any good stories anyone?

Return to All other LED watches