It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:49

Help setting the time on a Saturn

• Author

antman

Help setting the time on a Saturn

Post08 Feb 2006, 01:58

Hi all,

just got the LED bug and bought my first vintage on Ebay. Its this saturn - http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/saturn2.htm - I can set the day of the month and the hour but not the minutes - can anyone help me out? Repeated pushing the depressed set button changes the hour, holding the date button down with the set button changes the date, but can't find a button combination to set the minutes.

Any help appreciated.

Anto

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Re: Help setting the time on a Saturn

Post08 Feb 2006, 02:26

Saturn/Armitron modules can be pretty flaky. I have one where the day of the week skips SU and MO. It goes from SA to TU. Gotta love that. Anyway, there is no combination. When you press the time setting button do the minutes show up and you can't change them with the function button or do they not show up at all?

MJ

antman

Post08 Feb 2006, 02:35

MJ wrote:Saturn/Armitron modules can be pretty flaky. I have one where the day of the week skips SU and MO. It goes from SA to TU. Gotta love that. Anyway, there is no combination. When you press the time setting button do the minutes show up and you can't change them with the function button or do they not show up at all?
MJ

Hi MJ,

The watch does appear a bit flakey but I have now set it correctly following your suggestions.

Pressing the set button changes hour. Pressing the set button and the time function sets minutes - this is a bit difficult as it seems to skip between hour and minute depending on how you press the buttons.

Pressing Date and set button sets the date. However, there is no month or day of week or year, only a 1-31st date setting. Is this to be expected for this model?

Anyway, I am not too worried about date/month/year as long as it tells the time!

Now to see how accurate it is.

thanks again for your help.

Anto

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post08 Feb 2006, 06:23

Hum...Your description suggests that you have to push a combination of buttons to set the time/date. I've never known that to be with an Armitron (Saturn) module. On every Armitron module I've ever had, you push the setting button, release it and you can change the hours (with the function button). You push it again, release it, and you can change the minutes. And so forth and so forth.

One thing I forgot to mention before. When you first put the batteries in, you can't change the minutes unless you change the hour first. I don't know why this is.

I've also never seen an Armitron module that just had a date setting. Very strange! Most of them are Month and Day. Some have alphanumeric day of the week, as well.

There is no such thing as an LED watch that has a Year setting except the HP-01 Calculator Watch. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I actually have an extremely rare LED watch that has an alphanumeric month (JN, JY, AU, etc). I stuck that up on Ebay and it went over like a lead balloon. :) I won't put that up again.

Later,

MJ

antman

Post08 Feb 2006, 06:37

MJ wrote:Hum...Your description suggests that you have to push a combination of buttons to set the time/date. I've never known that to be with an Armitron (Saturn) module. On every Armitron module I've ever had, you push the setting button, release it and you can change the hours (with the function button). You push it again, release it, and you can change the minutes. And so forth and so forth.
MJ

Yeah, its a strange one. I don't know if it is a malfunction that the month does not show up. The combination of buttons to set the time is strange but seems consistent except for the hour setting - if I press the set button repeatedly the hour increments by one for each push, if I hold it it will increment up by one hour every second.

Having correctly set the minute the watch is now keeping good time for today (so far!).

Anto

notonly1

Techie

Techie

Post09 Feb 2006, 02:48

Anto. The watch you linked to on ledwatches,net is mine. I have the owners manual and I will PM you a copy of the setting instructions.

For MJ, I couldn't think of any other led watches that have a year setting besides the HP-01 either, but one of the Hughes modules does have a leap year setting. I suppose that would be the next closest. Also, I have a module like yours by itself that has the alpha month. I've never seen or heard of another one besides yours.

antman

Post09 Feb 2006, 03:31

notonly1 wrote:Anto. The watch you linked to on ledwatches,net is mine. I have the owners manual and I will PM you a copy of the setting instructions.

Thanks, look forward to receiving it!

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post09 Feb 2006, 05:32

I suppose that would be the next closest. Also, I have a module like yours by itself that has the alpha month. I've never seen or heard of another one besides yours.

Does yours have two function buttons on the right hand side and that unique way of setting where the top function button changes the hours, minutes, etc and then you have to swtich to the bottom button to change the date functions? If that's the case, then it's the same module. It sure is a rare one. I'll never part with it and I'm glad it didn't sell on Ebay.

MJ

notonly1

Techie

Techie

Post09 Feb 2006, 19:39

MJ wrote:
I suppose that would be the next closest. Also, I have a module like yours by itself that has the alpha month. I've never seen or heard of another one besides yours.

Does yours have two function buttons on the right hand side and that unique way of setting where the top function button changes the hours, minutes, etc and then you have to swtich to the bottom button to change the date functions? If that's the case, then it's the same module. It sure is a rare one. I'll never part with it and I'm glad it didn't sell on Ebay.

MJ

Hi MJ,
The module I have is just as you described. Also, it has a clear plastic top with a mask aroung the display. Does the watch you have with this module have any names or logos on it that might identify the brand? You said it was just up for sale. Could you give the listing number. If it hasn't been too long it will still show up on eBay.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post10 Feb 2006, 02:03

Hi! No, there are no names or logos. There is a round metal ring that keeps the module "locked" in the case. I don't know if yours has that too. Anyway, yes the expired auction is still alive and kicking:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5046651002

Jeff

notonly1

Techie

Techie

Post11 Feb 2006, 16:42

MJ
Go to the photos page at ledwatches.net and look at "Datatime 2".

Return to All other LED watches