are the leds in a old timex1977 watch better then the newer

Post15 Feb 2006, 22:41

leds you can but today

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Re: are the leds in a old timex1977 watch better then the ne

Post16 Feb 2006, 04:51

Do you mean are the classic LED modules better than the new ones? YES! Will they last longer? It depends on the shape they are in when you get it.

Unlike LED watches today, the ones in the 70's were made for the mass market, so a lot of time and effort when in to the design and manufacturing of them; not to mention there was a lot of competition.

That's not to say all the modules that came out of the 70's were good. But I'm not getting in to the good and bad, it would take me forever.

MJ

bruce wegmann

Pulsar Moderator

Pulsar Moderator

Re: are the leds in a old timex1977 watch better then the ne

Post16 Feb 2006, 09:07

It sounds to me that he's asking if the actual quality of the LEDs themselves is better in the new or older modules. As much as I would like to believe otherwise, newer LEDs probably have much greater life expectancy. It becomes a matter of manufacturing technique, and by todays' standards, the methods of 1970s electronic manufacturing were almost unspeakably primitive, especially in an area that was very new [the commercial use of light emitting diodes was only a few years old in 1972, as was the CMOS circuitry used in the clock chips...I remember an RCA engineer telling me about an entire production run where not a single chip tested as good]. Production standards, even purity of raw materials, is under much tighter control now than thirty years ago, and it shows [I have Pulsars that show wide variations in display brightness which would never meet todays' standards of quality control]. Barring accident or abuse, todays LED watches have every chance of meeting the 100-year design lifetime that Pulsar aspired to. But despite their technological shortcomings, we still admire and respect them, because they were the first, and we tend to forgive pioneers their minor faults.

Return to All other LED watches