It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 03:20

Need help IDing this Watch

• Author

Ralphie

Need help IDing this Watch

Post20 Aug 2006, 15:06

Can any one help ID this LED watch.
The box it came in says Benrus Centurion but I see no Benrus markings on the watch, I don't think it is a Benrus. Any ideas ??
How do you put a picture on here ?
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\EBAY Pictures\LEDwatch1.jpg
[img]http://members.usa2net.net/~resposito/LEDwatch1.jpg[img][/img]

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Re: Need help IDing this Watch

Post20 Aug 2006, 21:06

Ralphie wrote:......How do you put a picture on here ?

Like this :)

Ralphie

Post20 Aug 2006, 21:46

THANKS.
Any ideas what brand it is ?

CompuChron2

Techie

Techie

Post20 Aug 2006, 22:21

Hi,
is it a men's watch?
Nothing on the back?
The eye of the master,
Does more than bote his hands.

L'oeil du ma?tre
Fait mieux que ses deux mains.

Ralphie

Post20 Aug 2006, 22:47

Hi
Yes men's and only thing it says on the back is Base Metal Bezel St. Steel Back

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post20 Aug 2006, 23:31

I'm guessing it was made by Fairchild, as it is the identical twin to one of the Birks models. Birks had a lot of their stuff made by Fairchild and Rotary....pop off the back and measure the width of the module, 26 mm(1 & 1/16") will lean heavily in favor of it being a Fairchild(possibly Commador but not likely). 29mm(1 & 3/16") would lean toward Rotary or other brand. How about a side shot of the buttons? - 2/4 positioning would also lean toward Fairchild.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Ralphie

Post21 Aug 2006, 00:14

I don't know much about LED watchs can you explain what I would be looking for to measure the module ? The buttons are at about 2 & 8 o'clock.

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post21 Aug 2006, 02:36

Just measure across the inside edge of the case at the widest point, you don't need to take anything out. See, there are some fairly standard sizes, e.g. 29mm & 25mm for mens, 25,20 & 17.5mm for womens...although the brand I suspected(Fairchild) made a lot of 26.2mm modules, as did Commodor Corporation. At the tail end of the LED era a lot of other smaller companies had came into the market, so you do occassionaly get an odd sized one. I Think the biggest module I have ever seen was 45mm(1.75") across, Saturn Corp. made a 32mm and older Hamiltons and Omegas are 35mm(1 3/8").

2/8? Now my line of thinking would be that it has a Hughes module in it(probably light blue, translucent yellow or pale green). Let us know, it's always interesting and fun(at least for me 8) ) to find out what you hadn't a clue on. A picture of the inside might give some of us a chance at making a better guess. Nice looking watch in any event - a working no-name beats a dead name brand in most peoples minds, unless it is some ungodly rare item. :P
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Ralphie

Post21 Aug 2006, 03:18

25mm and light blue inside.
Yes it is interesting researching something like this.
THANKS

digibloke

Wizard

Wizard

Post21 Aug 2006, 15:35

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/h ... neric2.htm

Although the button seems to be in a different place (just kidding...)

Ralphie

Post21 Aug 2006, 17:53

THAT'S IT !
Thanks for all your help.
Ralph

notonly1

Techie

Techie

Post27 Aug 2006, 04:57

Ralphie. I'm sorry I'm so late in commenting on your question, but I just now read through the entire thread. Your watch may indeed be a Benrus, but it was supplied by Hughes Aircraft. It seems that Hughes not only manufactured modules, but they also assembled led watches that they would wholesale to other companies (like Benrus) and also sell through their employee store. I have a documentation from old Hughes files including undate price lists (I believe they are from 1977) and a couple of photos showing an assemblage of some of the watches that they sold. This watch is a model #3753 and the price lists show that it sold for $49.95 (I believe this to be an employee price). It used a 1" Hughes module. Another group photo shows this watch with a sticker pasted on it with a price of $15.85. Most likely a later employee closeout. The photo also shows the led/lcd model with the blue face that Little1up (I believe) was talking about in an earlier thread. Its price was $26.45. I recognized this watch right away as I have the same model (the one posted by Digibloke). That's when I decided to dig out my files. I hope I've been of some help.

Return to All other LED watches