It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 06:23

LIP LED Re-Issue?

• Author

pocketcalculatorshow

Nerd

Nerd

LIP LED Re-Issue?

Post11 Dec 2006, 22:25

Searched through the forum and I didn't find a previous discussion of this.

I've never seen this LIP before--while it's obviously not a true LED, the design is pretty nice and holds true to the make's classic shape.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Re: LIP LED Re-Issue?

Post12 Dec 2006, 02:09

It is a true LED. It's just not a wire bonded LED, as no one makes them anymore...No mainstream companies anyway.

I'm selling them for $199US if anyone is interested. I only have a few right now. 2 black and 1 silver. The MRSP is $180 (I'm not allowed to sell under that) so this isn't an inflated price.

Jeff

retroleds

Guru

Guru

• Location: Surrounded by hicks and sticks (farms and woods) - Michigan,USA

Post12 Dec 2006, 08:27

It looks like one of their Roger Tallon designed analog watches...I'm curious, is this a retro-fit which uses a Lip analog case?

The original Lip company associated with the famous "Roger Tallon" designed Lip LEDs, started by the Lippman family in the 1870s has been out of business since 1976; although, the name was sold off and various "Lip" watches have been produced since then. It will be interesting to see if these new ones depreciate the value of the original Lip LEDs, or increase the value due to the originals being "the authentic real-deal". Sort of like Pulsars made before Seiko bought them out.

Strictly personal opinion - they should have kept the name off the crystal like the old ones("lip" was on the right/button side of case, above "lip" on band) - having it on the crystal pulls the eye toward the left edge of the band, disrupting the trademark assymetrical design.
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post12 Dec 2006, 08:32

Strictly personal opinion - they should have kept the name off the crystal like the old ones("lip" was on the right/button side of case, above "lip" on band) - having it on the crystal pulls the eye toward the left edge of the band, disrupting the trademark assymetrical design.

Agreed. I thought the same thing when I first saw it.

rewolf

Guru

Guru

Post12 Dec 2006, 22:29

Is the case plastic or metal?

Seer Taak

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

Post13 Dec 2006, 04:19

If it's a genuine modern Lip watch, the case will be anodised/powder coated aluminium, like the modern analogue mach 2000 they still produce.
The other day, my computer beat me at chess. It was rubbish at kick boxing though.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post13 Dec 2006, 19:06

I know they're alluminum. The other "techno mumbo jumbo", previously posted, I can't say for sure, at present.

Also someone asked me if these are the old cases just retro fitted. These are all new remakes. The original LIP?s, of course, didn?t have two separate buttons for time and date. (Too bad they didn't use my module design :))

MJ

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post13 Dec 2006, 19:56

MJ wrote:The original LIP?s, of course, didn?t have two separate buttons for time and date. (Too bad they didn't use my module design :))
MJ

Jeff - I've always thought the one REALLY unique feature of your watch is that the display is offcenter compared to the face/crystal. The original Lip(and this remake) essentially have a display that is centered within the face(crystal), while the body is offcenter(assymetrical) compared to the band. Yours, of course, has a nice symetrical case to band relationship. I look forward to receiving mine... :)
http://www.retroleds.com - Sales of vintage LED, LCD, analog watches, parts and gadgets - repair tutorials & tips
Nov. 2022 - back in business!! BItter divorce is in home stretch, come grabs some great deals, I had to open the safe . . . damn attorneys. piss.

ELY_M

Techie

Techie

Post17 Jan 2007, 21:55

I prefer wire bonded leds like in old novus, 70's leds, fossils and space.time's and tinyclock2003's watches.

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post18 Jan 2007, 03:57

retroleds.com wrote:It looks like one of their Roger Tallon designed analog watches...I'm curious, is this a retro-fit which uses a Lip analog case?

They made an LED in this case design too, see the link below, I've allways loved the square'ish one (middle one in photo), anyone know if there's any plans to make a retro version of this one?

http://www.ledwatches.net/photo-pages/LIP2.htm

retroleds

Guru

Guru

Post18 Jan 2007, 04:41

Questions for MJ:
1. Does this new LIp have a recessed setting button or does the lower
button active the setting functions.
2.Pressure to push the buttons - is it stiff like the original Lips(due to the two piece cam action to the buttons) or a soft push like most moderns.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post18 Jan 2007, 08:30

I prefer wire bonded leds like in old novus, 70's leds, fossils and space.time's and tinyclock2003's watches.

I think we all do. But as I've stated many times, no one makes the true wire bonded displays anymore. This includes calculators, cash register displays, etc. Any modern magnified wire bonded display you see on Ebay today is old stock. As for the dot watches, they do not have a display anywhere near the vintage watches and wire bonded or not, they are not a good substitute...Especially the blue and green ones. The red and yellow displays aren't bad.

1. Does this new LIP have a recessed setting button or does the lower
button active the setting functions.
2.Pressure to push the buttons - is it stiff like the original Lips(due to the two piece cam action to the buttons) or a soft push like most moderns.

The buttons on the new LIP's are actually based on the buttons on their vintage analog models as the vintage LED ones had the skinny buttons, which I never liked. I think LIP should have used these buttons on their vintage LED watches, and I'm wondering if Roger Tallon has thought of this as well. As for them being stiff or smooth, I would say that they are very easy to push and spring like just about any button would on a watch. As for time setting, the new LIP's use the same IC design that almost every modern LED watch uses. You have the top button activating time and the bottom button display date. There is a recessed time setting button that you push AFTER you push either the time or date buttons...It depends on what you want to change. Oddly their is a second recessed time setting button but appears to have no function. LIP says this could be used in the future (a new IC design?) so they aren't changing the cases.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I have only purchased a handful of modern LED's, but I think the Majestyk watch is the only modern LED that has all the functions with one button and an actual time setting procedure without having to use a combination of buttons. (Like the vintage ones).

Jeff

richard_uk

Guru

Guru

Post18 Jan 2007, 15:33

Some of the CW range, like this one, use a similar set up to the originals, everything works off one button, and there's just one button for setting, the only difference is it's not a recessed button, you just push and hold to go into setting mode.

Majestyk

Guru

Guru

Post18 Jan 2007, 19:27

I have been corrected, thanks. Although the Majestyk watches also have an actual button (not recessed) for time setting. You push the function button once and then the time setting button for time setting mode. This way if you push just the time setting button, you won't go in to time setting mode by mistake.

Jeff

Return to All other LED watches