I know I harping on about the HP-01, I do have others but

• Author

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

I know I harping on about the HP-01, I do have others but

Post01 May 2007, 01:30

these are the ones I am working on.

So far I am awaiting word from the manufacturer for the crystal fabrication. Until I get the crystals the local printer won't commit to whether or not the name can be done.

In the mean time, my other hobby is extremely early Summit and HP calculator collecting and restoring so in a revelation last night I dug up some old HP parts calculators and cut myself some HP 01 lenses out of the plexiglass. I hand made 2 as an experiment for myself and wow! if I don't say so myself. Notes or explanation about tin foil and etc at the end. You have to look at the pictures first!

Here are the two hand made polished plexi crystals:

Black beater with crystal removed beside the two new crystals:

I now have:

1. 'looks like NOS' black with bronze in box with papers, manual, pen, quick reference cards, registration (the complete ensemble)

2. bronze keyboard restored with the crystal turned up inside out as the scratches would not polish and the HP name was missing in any case:

Close up of damaged crystal:

Close up of bronze bezel prepped for heating:

Close up of bronze bezel done on hairy wrist with the crystal re-glued inside out:

3. Beater black case with stiff keyboard and an unreversable crystal due to major corner chips. I am awaiting the prototype case to arrive with bad module, perfect bezel and keys and bad crystal. I will swap the good module from the black beater into the good prototype. I will also remove the prototype crystal and replace it with a new 'plexi' crystal. The black beater keyboard has extremely stiff keys, rendering this case unusable unless I figure out how to soften the hard rubber retainer inside the case. It does have a perfect module awaiting a new case which is on its way as previously mentioned.

Close up of bad corners on black beater case:

Close up of black beater case with crystal removed and an attempt at rounding the chipped corners. Didn't work to my satisfaction hence the need for the plexi crystal:

Black beater case with the plastic crystal in place:

Hope you enjoyed! Cheers

Notes:

The glue was a 5 min epoxy mixed with a couple of drops of black enamel paint.

Standard hair dryer on the crystal for about 5 minutes.

Cleaned off the residual HP glue with laqueur thinner, carefully so as not to expose the keyboard rubber.

Placed a block of wood cut to fit inside the case to back the rubber keyboard and keys. This prevents the keys from falling out of their sockets and rotating.

The tinfoil prevented the keyboard rubber from heating under the hair dryer.

redled

Techie

Techie

re: I know I harping on about the HP-01, I do have others bu

Post01 May 2007, 09:55

Nice work Geoff, but you didn't reveal the one thing I was hoping you would: how did you shape the plexi crystals so precisely?

767Geoff

Techno Mage

Techno Mage

How to cut the plexi crystal,

Post01 May 2007, 23:19

Secure a broken old LED calculator:

not this one, it works,

instead, this one (.50 cents flea market) which has supplied some parts to the above one,

remove the red plexi crystal from the HP 01, protect the keyboard from the heat!

I used a hair dryer,

the HP 01 with removed crystal,

using the removed crystal and some white paper, I traced the outline of the crystal to the paper, because this crystal had chipped lower corners I tried to polish and round them, Yuk!

So I outlined on paper and glued (paper glue stick) that paper to the plexi crystal removed from the calculator. I ground away the excess plexi with at first the grinder,

then got closer with the dremel,

I then removed the paper and using the original HP 01 crystal glued to the crude plexi crystal. I used 400 grit sand paper to get to the correct curved upper surface, and straight sides. I had to extrapolate the sides as the original crystal had the rounded edges.

I moved to 600 grit and finally 1500 grit for the edges. I used a popsicle stick with 600 grit sandpaper glued to it to bevel the edges.

I then sanded the flat sides of the plexi with 600 then 1500 finishing with 2000 grit and soap and water,

Next I polished with a product called polywatch.

I finished the entire project by fitting and sanding and fitting and sanding and....... you get the picture until the crystal fit perfectly.

final outcome

azimuth_pl

Guru

Guru

re: I know I harping on about the HP-01, I do have others bu

Post14 May 2007, 23:47

well done !!!
plexiglass can be shaped to almost any size as shown below for one of my Bulova Sideviews:

coconutman351

Wizard

Wizard

Re: I know I harping on about the HP-01, I do have others bu

Post01 May 2021, 19:58

Awesome work Geoff! Have you ever tried Aluminum Black to restore the black anodized finish. It's not a paint, it reacts chemically to turn the aluminum material black. Lot of camera and gun owners use it to restore their black finishes. Also have you ever attempted to also restore the keys to it's original black anodized state by removing the rubber backing with an xacto knife or something sharp to prevent damage. I was thinking of attempting that. My keys are all brown and the exposed 4 keys on the bottom row is already showing the raw Aluminum finish. I was also thinking of using silicone to re seal the rubber back to the keyboard bezel after the keys are restored. Thoughts?

Return to All other LED watches